Pet peeves: The return (Part 7)

the idea of eye surgery freaks me out too much to ever consider it

also i look better with glasses than without

It’s way less scary than you think.

Different types of it might differ, but like I said before: they put some glass caps on my eyes, pressed them until they clicked (that was the scariest part because I felt physical pressure on my eyes), then poured water onto them while I stared at a small light. That was it.

Though your eyes get photosensitive for a while afterwards and you have to wear sunglasses until the sensitivity goes away.

I thought so too, but in hindsight, glasses made my eyes look too small because of refraction.

I also like the ability to wear fantasy costumes without being forced to also wear an out-of-place artifact!

1 Like

can they knock me out for it

and for that reason, i am out

Look, I’m very very squeamish about eyes, if I could handle it, so can you! Besides, your procedure might not require it.

1 Like

I’ll do it for free with a laser pen

I could handle it if it was absolutely necessary, I’m sure. But it’s definitely not something I would ever volunteer myself for which would be the case here.

I’m happy enough to go on wearing glasses and carry on my nerd chic.

5 Likes

stole my post before i could write it

I’m honestly considering it. I don’t hate glasses, but it’s just Yet Another Thing on the apparently growing list of The Flesh Is Weak, and if I ever have to move off desk work and back to practical engineering it’d be a massive benefit to not need them.

Also having glasses when it rains Sucks.

Edit: right now, if the Cult Mechanicus offered a new spine/lower back for being an inductee, they wouldn’t be able to finish the spiel before I was shouting praises to the Omnissiah ._. Body, please…

The reason I would consider getting a laser-treatment for my eyes eventually is because it would be nice to not have to choose between “Worry about losing contacts when swimming” or " See everything distant as a blur while swimming and having to take contacts in and out everytime I wish to go swimming."

In other news, Dragon Age: Origins, I am closing in on the Anvil… and I want to know, it is possible to kill Caridin yet keep Shale right? By not bringing her to the Caridin fight and then having high enough persuasion? I seem to recall but I want to be sure, because if I can’t keep Shale, then sorry Branka, you’re going into the (fiery) bin.

Spilled coffee on my phone.

It activated Dark Mode.

Screw it, I’m keeping this. It’s too perfect.

4 Likes

Dark mode is often better.

Anyone who uses Discord light-mode can’t be trusted.

5 Likes

do they hate their eyes

are they moths

deeply untrustworthy

5 Likes

It is a mystery and deeply concerning.

My phone has the bad habit of loading things in normal mode first for a second before switching to dark mode.
… well maybe it’s actively trying to blind me further…

More reasons to not trust modern tech!

1 Like

That’s what I’m sticking to, but fixing all that’s wrong with my eyesight is so extensive and expensive that I can never afford to anyway. Gotta hope for some fancy streamer star charity if anything.

2 Likes

https://www.wired.com/story/ai-is-already-taking-jobs-in-the-video-game-industry/

Aaaaah!

They’re adding toucans to Sea of Thieves!

With that, the current pet list now includes:

• Dogs: Alastians, Whippets and Inus.
  • Cats: Wildcats, Ragamuffins & Maus
  • Parrots: Macaws, Parakeets and Cockatoos.
  • Monkeys: Capuchins, Barbarys and Marmosets.
  • Foxes.
  • Owls.
  • Toucans.
  • A few unique models such as the Pirates prison dog, special cats etc.
3 Likes

Sounds like Activision had enough of getting carried by the art and marketing department…
Seriously though, why are these people making decisions in an industry when they clearly do not understand the inner workings outside of pushing money around and trying to get as much of it to the overhead of the company?
The way things work there’s actually a decent usecase for large language models in gaming to do things like laying base textures onto 3D models or distributing clutter objects so humans can then spend more time on going in afterwards and working out the actual details and environmental story.

But no
no
we gotta replace the storyboard and design artists?
???
The one thing AI can not and will not be able to do properly?

I’m gonna go give studios like Larian a hug now…

8 Likes

I normally use light mode for everything, but Discord’s is just rubbish. Clearly nobody is working on its usability.

1 Like