Pet peeves: The return (Part 7)

he forgot that the point of dismantling the old system is to build a better one - johnny just sought destruction, which allowed the old money to just rebuild the same old and trap him inside it

cyberpunk 2077 is actually a fundamental leftist text in this essay i will

1 Like

I mean, he was clearly meant to be unlikeable at the start, and for most of it. That’s what makes the potential reconciliation towards the endgame (and even moreso with Phantom Liberty) cathartic. Even a ghost in the machine can have character growth and learn to regret.

But also no one will ever make me hate that one quest where he narrates your actions like you’re in a pulpy Noir novel. Peak.

4 Likes

Johnny sought destruction for the sake of fame. He tried to display a “Im so tough, I don’t care” but a huge portion of it was that he wanted the attention and fame.

He was one of those activist who didn’t want anarchy or to fix the system. He wanted the fame for sticking it to the man.

It’s like Patreon but they transfer money to Russia (unlike Patreon), including for fundraisers for the Russian army and Wagner group

Johnny’s at his best when he grows along you and reconsiders some of the way he thinks and looks back at his past

This is great actually, like in the Calvin & Hobbes noir novel comics

3 Likes

Give keanu credit where hes due, the most likeable actor playing the moat unlikeable douche

johnny would’ve been a founding sex pistols member i think

1 Like

True. So true

Very true. I just find him so unlikable that I struggle with him even if thats the point.

I’m also sad we didn’t get more time with Jackie or Mama Welles. Amazing characters.

You hate Johnny because he’s a bad person.
I hate him because his gun isn’t as good in the main game as it is in his flashback.
We are not the same.

4 Likes

I mean, what do you want to do, leave the largely powerless people of Russia without Western goods?

Let’s block Russian WoW accounts and withdraw McDonald’s and Coca-Cola, that’ll show Putin for sure!

Don’t think of Russia as “that land over there, not in my backyard”. Some here have experienced the fallout of thoughtlessly applied sanctions firsthand.

3 Likes

It’s a difficult situation. The civilian population are not responsible for their dictator, and many of them have suffered and do suffer at the hands of their own army and government. The civilian population who just want to live their lives as normal should not need to suffer, just as Ukrainian civilians shouldn’t have to.

But it’s also an issue that money keeps the government afloat and gets pumped right into the war in most cases.

War at the end of the day is as its always is. It’s hell. And it’s the civilians that suffer for it on both sides, not those actually responsible. (In this case Putin and his big friends).

3 Likes

Johnny is a poster child for raging, untreated PTSD and how it affects everything in your life
He didn’t think of what comes after the tower mission because he’s destructive towards everything and everyone, including himself. He has to pull everyone down, he’s the crab at the bottom of the bucket.
Being famous is the only way he can feel even a little bit good about himself.

In this essay I will…

Side note: He’s not the one who nuked the tower. That was Militech and Blackhand.

4 Likes

Literally Johnny Silverhand.

2 Likes

It’s as Vixi says, there’s not really a good outcome in this one. I thought it was known by now that I do feel for the Russian people, they didn’t ask for their situation either, I know that.

If I knew of a way that would more directly impact Putler, I’d gladly stick to that , rather than to something that mostly hits civilians.

The wow-account one I’ll give you, that one went overboard, and unless Putler is an avid wow-player himself I doubt he’d care too much about that one.

Vixi, I’ve said it before - you cannot just call war crimes ‘being naughty’, we’ve been over this…

2 Likes

Woopsie! I’m such a ditz. (✿◠‿◠)

3 Likes

almost word for word the line a gnome uses when their steam tank smashes into a tower and kills 4 people

5 Likes

I want to speak out my mind, but knowing its pointless drama. It duality of man. What to do? Should I go full rant or stay my silence to avoid guild being dragged to it? Both have their sides

Write stuff down for yourself. Let it sit. Read over it tomorrow.

1 Like

“Eto, ehh… bleh~”

1 Like