Pricing for Classic Era and TBC services

Hello
We’ve known since TBC was announced that we would have the option to purchase a character copy. Since then I’ve been pretty certan that i would buy 1 character copy for my main, just to have it as a keepsake while at the same time i can enjoy playing with it in TBC.
In my mind i thought that the price would be around 10-15$. Looking at the price today being at 35$ i think i was kinda naive in my way of thinking. Even with that expensive price i would probably have bought it anyway, if it where not for the Collectors Edition that were announced to be costing 70$. With the collector edition including level boost and 1 month playtime i think i’m going to buy that one. With collectors being so expensive i no longer want to spend a total of 105$ to get the character copy also. I mean, why would i spend so much cash to copy a character to play a game i’ve grinded the hell out of for almost 2 years. Yeah it could maybe have been fun to drop back into the game in a year or two to pvp or do a raid just for the nostalgic feeling. But with me now deciding i wont copy my character i will probably never ever go back to classic.
With the price being so high i think many won’t use the copy service. Isn’t this a death sentance for Classic Era WoW? People who no longer got their Classic Era characters will probably never go back to playing Classic Era. Is that what Blizzard want? To have minimum playerbase in Classic Era so they can justify shuting down the servers in a few years so they no longer need to pay for them?
In my opinion copy chars should be a free service, and not just 1 character, the whole account. Blizzard should do this as an reward to us for being there and suporting the outdated game we’ve been playing for the past few years, not to take advantage of us by milking us for more money.
Sadly i have now made up my mind. 18th of May I will leave classic forever and continue the journey into TBC.
Would love to hear about peoples opinion on this topic.

6 Likes

If people chose not to play classic, yeah it will die out soon. But that isn’t because of the 35$ fee, they still have the option to chose to play classic for free! If they don’t then ofc it will die. People prefer TBC. Now, it won’t die anyway, cus classic servers will get merged. So there will always be a few healthy classic servers for those who wishes to play there.

Personally I will transfer all my 4 60s to Classic Era and make a paladin for TBC.
I wanted to also have 1-2 chars in both Classic and TBC for 10-15 euro but whatever.
If it’s a ghost town ok, it is what it is.
I just don’t understand the reasoning of the people that will buy these services.
Even if you literally have 1 million euro in the bank, don’t you have some common sense, dignity and self-respect, when the fact is that you are clearly getting robbed with these prices?

4 Likes

Blizzard have done surveys about what people were willing to pay, and it’s shocking if this is the price that most people said they could accept. The prices for me is very high, but i guess people got different views on what things are worth.
My hope is that Blizzard will see reason and change the prices a bit.

I think its very naive to think Classic will die out. Sure its going to be quiet a while after tbc launch but its still the best version for WoW by a mile.

7 Likes

There will always be those who want to play Classic, but do you think Blizzard will keep the servers running for 5-10 years with a low playerbase?

What im saying is that the playerbase wont be low

1 Like

There’s only a certain amount of things that you’d be able to do with no more content coming out.
So unless classic does have fresh, it will be likely depopulate until you have a small population that’ll remain.

How can you be so sure?
Classic without fresh servers will have a low population.
Not everyone will want to stay on Naxx for the next year+
Throw in the $35 cloning PER CHARACTER… that’ll damage it further.

1 Like

How can you know that? Most people playing Classic now is finnished with the game.

the playerbase will be low. its only natural.

Do you know what people have done in shady servers? Assuming the server survives all the way to Naxx, what happens is that once Naxx has been cleared and farmed, the server naturally dies down. The players basically migrate to Another fresh or as close to it as possible server and restart there. and the cycle repeats.

Did you hear anything about fresh classic forever? hell nah. so it will die. cause there will be nothing to do at some point.

I actually think it will be now that Blizzard have announced the rip off price that is the copy character price.

Blizzard may actually merge realms instead of connecting them to save money.

The longer you play, the cheaper 35$ become on a daily basis.

I don’t think, that it’s the cost that will kill Classic Era realms. If people wanted so much, to stay in Classic, they would leave their characters in Classic and leveled new characters for TBC.
I love Azeroth and despite Outlands. But even I, gonna progress to TBC, because Classic is stagnated by nature (old).
If I ever wanna play in Classic Era, it is a piece of cake to level a new character (and fun).

It will be the cost that’ll hurt classic a lot though.
People wanted to stay on TBC and classic.
But now they’re forced to choose between TBC or classic.
Or pay hundreds of $$ in order to play both.

I doubt this is what they did, probably people said around 20 euro, so their statistics show, most of them would pay 35 even if it bothered them.

Did you hear anything about fresh classic forever? hell nah. so it will die. cause there will be nothing to do at some point.

Gotta love these people who think if you paint the carrot a different color, it becomes a different carrot.

If you ask me, progression is a cancer. It makes people raidlog to preserve resources, it makes them antsy when items drop, it makes raids stressful and guilds demanding. When AQ came around, we couldn’t find one guild to run MC and BWL on different days, everyone was speedrunning it so they focus on AQ gear before Naxx comes around. Rushing to do content before it becomes obsolete is a tiring, neverending process. Let’s see, will you be of the same opinion when TBC becomes Era and WOTLK rolls around? How about Mists of Pandaria? When do you become aware of the hamster wheel? Some people just wanna chill, RP in robes and enjoy the meat of the game, which is the community, not the two extra talents. Some people don’t wanna throw their progress in the trash, ready or not, because some others rushed content and now they’re bored. Me and my wife, and others as well, are looking forward to raiding MC, and BWL, and AQ, and Naxx, at chill paces, where nobody’s cracking the whip because they wanna get their dream set done before it becomes trash. It’s a game, not a race. Some people play the same game for ages, and some games aren’t even as expansive as WoW.

You know, $35 isn’t the only price, you’ll also need to pay for transfers because most Classic Era servers will be dead on arrival and the population will need to coalesce. That’s a steep price to pay to just log in once in a blue moon to meme “ded server” and “oh TBC is so much better, losers”. Buh bye, and good riddance, TBC forum is next door. Don’t forget to take your sweaty tryhards and your gold bots with you.

Blizzard and every other games company that has MTX literally runs on these attributes not applying to people.

League is a fantastic example of over a decade of extremely expensive MTX options and people still buy em up like they are going to run out.

Of course this isn’t the price people were willing to pay. Just like any company they do surveys to get an idea, but it doesn’t mean they’re going to listen to it.

Some ppl are not willing to pay.

I strongly believe that the majority of players are not too fuzzed about it.
If Blizzard didnt listen they could have easly made it higher, say 45$ and people would have paid that too.

It could have been worse, could have been better.
It is what it is.

They saw the price and was like nope.jpg

Around about 10-15 of my guildies would’ve paid $10-$15, but not $35.
They’re just avoiding classic entirely now.