PTR Spoiler/Discussion Thread (Part 1)

Azeroth was a live service so all the afterlives were created beforehand and planned to have staggered releases.

1 Like

Oh yeah luckily this is a dev interview with zero clarification as to how that works, atm the best choice is to put fingers in my ears until they unveil how truly lame this new idea is.

“Actually,” Danuser says, his eyes gleaming with deluded madness, “Azeroth was an afterlife all along. For Shadowlands, you went to the next life after that. For our next expansion, you’ll be going back, travelling beyond the veil not to the Shadowlands, but to the realm of your past lives, before you were reborn on Azeroth.”

Yes it is exactly that. They made the Titans too “visible” as universe creators, so now they have to make something even more primordial than the Titans so they can pull the curtain back on that.

Apparently ignorant of the fact that…they could just tell interesting stories in the world they already had, without these ‘reveals’ and Abrams-style mystery boxes.

3 Likes

The thing that’s most annoying about this is that to some extent the WoW team actually is, even to this day, capable of telling at least passable stories. It’s just those always get shunted into little sidequests while the main story has been bafflingly stupid for years.

6 Likes

The only viable, valid RP after shadowlands is a void elf staring into the face of it all; this scope of layered insignificance in infinite variations going all the way down to incomprehensibility and shaking with crying laughter.

This world is a prison.

I would be relatively forgiving if they ended up going full Cathar on this.

They won’t though.

And if you’ve ever read Douglas Hofstadter, your immediate thought will be “infinite afterlives hierarchy!”

Are the First Ones the covenant leaders? I feel like Shadowlands has a lot of “ones” and I’ve never deigned to keep track of them.

Eternal Ones are the leaders, First Ones are the ancient forerunner titans or something

1 Like

Looking forward to hearing about the Infinite Ones next.

1 Like

Don’t forget the Infinity Ones +1!

That’s the Continuous Ones.

The age of Eternal Ones has past… now it is up [the camera pans over to various azerothian adventurers] to the Last Ones to take on the mantle of responsibility…

2 Likes

more like the unwashed ones

Man, when your lore is so garbage and nonsensical it makes the Kingdom Hearts franchise look like an easily digestable universe.

Me: I wonder what’s on the southern hemisphere of Azeroth. Or on the other side of the planet. Also the Undermine sounds like it could be pretty cool.

Devs: But wouldn’t you like to know who made the world, what tools they used, who was behind creating them and the reason they did it also what colour socks they prefer? Let’s explore that!

I’ve always thought of the current world map as a representation of the world’s circumference spread out in one comprehensive overview. As in, there is no “other side” to what we’re looking at, it’s the entirety of the world.

Be cool to be wrong though.

2 Likes

No, that’s the Eternal Ones. The First Ones are like, them, except ^2.

The card game gunna do a better conflict story than an mmo.

Lmao

4 Likes