PTR Spoiler/Discussion Thread (Part 1)

We were all laughing at poor Magni, at the Azerite, at the woooonss jokes, but little did we know back then how bad it would truly get. . .

:trolldespair:

5 Likes

Well in Golden’s case, from her wikipedia page…

Summary

Bibliography

Instrument of Fate, Ace Books, April 1996
King's Man and Thief, Ace Books, May 1997
A.D. 999 (As Jadrien Bell), Ace Books, December 1999

Assassin’s Creed

Assassin's Creed: Heresy, Ubisoft Publishing, November 2016
Assassin's Creed: The Official Movie Novelization, Ubisoft Publishing, December 2016

The Final Dance

The Final Dance Book 1: On Fire's Wings, LUNA Books, July 2003
The Final Dance Book 2: In Stone's Clasp LUNA Books, September 2005
The Final Dance Book 3: Under Sea's Shadow, LUNA Books, October 2007 (e-book only)

HEX: Shards of Fate

The Accidental Knight, Hex Entertainment, LLC., November 2014

Invasion America

Invasion America, Roc, February 1998
Invasion America: On the Run, Roc, November 1998

Ravenloft

Ravenloft: Vampire of the Mists, TSR, September 1991
Ravenloft: Dance of the Dead, TSR, June 1992
Ravenloft: The Enemy Within, TSR, February 1994

StarCraft

StarCraft II: Devil's Due, Pocket Books, April 2011
StarCraft II: Flashpoint, Gallery Books, November 2012

StarCraft: The Dark Templar Saga

StarCraft: The Dark Templar Saga: Firstborn, Pocket Books, May 2007
StarCraft: The Dark Templar Saga: Shadow Hunters, Pocket Books, November 2007
StarCraft: The Dark Templar Saga: Twilight, Pocket Books, June 2009

Star Trek: Gateways

Star Trek: Voyager: Gateways Book 5: No Man's Land, Pocket Books, October 2001
Star Trek: Gateways Book 7: What Lay Beyond: In the Queue, Pocket Books, November 2001

Star Trek: The Next Generation

Star Trek: The Next Generation: Double Helix Book 6: The First Virtue (with Michael Jan Friedman), Pocket Books, August 1999

Star Trek: The Original Series

Star Trek: The Last Roundup, Pocket Books, July 2002

Star Trek: Voyager

Star Trek: Voyager #6: The Murdered Sun, Pocket Books, February 1996
Star Trek: Voyager #14: Marooned, Pocket Books, December 1997
Star Trek: Voyager #16: Seven of Nine, Pocket Books, September 1998
Star Trek: Voyager: Endgame, (with Diane Carey), Pocket Books, July 2001
Star Trek: Voyager: Homecoming, Pocket Books, June 2003
Star Trek: Voyager: The Farther Shore, Pocket Books, July 2003

Star Trek: Voyager: Dark Matters Trilogy

Star Trek: Voyager #19: Dark Matters #1: Cloak and Dagger, Pocket Books, November 2000
Star Trek: Voyager #20: Dark Matters #2: Ghost Dance, Pocket Books, November 2000
Star Trek: Voyager #21: Dark Matters #3: Shadow of Heaven, Pocket Books, November 2000

Star Trek: Voyager: Spirit Walk

Star Trek: Voyager: Spirit Walk Book 1: Old Wounds, Pocket Books, November 2004
Star Trek: Voyager: Spirit Walk Book 2: Enemy of My Enemy, Pocket Books, December 2004

Star Wars

Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi: Omen, Del Rey Books, June 2009
Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi: Allies, Del Rey Books, May 2010
Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi: Ascension, Del Rey Books, August 2011
Star Wars: Dark Disciple, Del Rey Books, June 2015
Star Wars: Battlefront II: Inferno Squad, Del Rey Books, July 2017
Star Wars: The Bucket (short story) published in Star Wars: From a Certain Point of View, Del Rey Books, October 2017
The Truest Duty (short story) to be published in Star Wars: From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back, Del Rey Books, November 2020

World of Warcraft

Warcraft: Lord of the Clans, Pocket Books, October 2001
World of Warcraft: Rise of the Horde, Pocket Books, December 2006
World of Warcraft: Beyond the Dark Portal (with Aaron Rosenberg), Pocket Books, June 2008
World of Warcraft: Arthas: Rise of the Lich King, Pocket Books, May 2009
World of Warcraft: The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm, Pocket Books, October 2010
World of Warcraft: Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects, Pocket Books, July 2011
World of Warcraft: Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War, Pocket Books, August 2012
World of Warcraft: War Crimes, Gallery Books, May 2014; Pocket Books, May 2015
Warcraft: Durotan: The Official Movie Prequel, Titan Books, May 2016
Warcraft: The Official Movie Novelization, Titan Books, June 2016
World of Warcraft: Before the Storm, June 2018
World of Warcraft: Exploring Azeroth - Eastern Kingdoms, November 2020

Short stories and essays

"The Bucket", Star Wars: From a Certain Point of View, Random House, 2017
"Promises to Keep", Halo: Fractures, Gallery Books, 2016
"Where's the Religion in Willow's Wicca?", BenBella Books, 2003
"The Sun Child," Angel: The Longest Night, Simon & Schuster, 2002
"Hard Crash," Star Trek S.C.E.: Have Tech, Will Travel, Pocket Books, 2001
"The White Doe," Tales of the Slayer, Simon & Schuster, 1999
"A Light in the Sky," Whitley Strieber's Aliens: An HWA Anthology, Pocket Books, December 1998
"A Night at Sandrine's," Amazing Stories, December 1998
"The Ultimate Weapon, Tales from Tethedril, Del Rey, September 1998
"The Remaking of Millie McCoy," Urban Nightmares, Baen Books, November 1997
"Though Hell Should Bar the Way," with A.C. Crispin, Highwaymen: Robbers and Rogues, DAW Books, Inc., June 1997
"The Play's the Thing," Miskatonic, DAW Books, Inc., November 1996
"Stag Party," OtherWere, Ace Books, September 1996
"Summer Storms," Lammas Night, Baen Books, February, 1996
"The Quiet Place," Realms of Magic, TSR, December 1995
"Breathtaking Music," Blood Muse, Donald I. Fine, December 1995
"One Good Bite," 100 Vicious Little Vampire Stories, Barnes & Noble, August 1995
"Witch Hunt" and "The Angel," 100 Wicked Little Witch Stories, Barnes & Noble, July 1995
"Blood Sport," Realms of Infamy, TSR, December 1994
"One Last Drink," Realms of Valor, TSR, February 1993[7]

So yeah she’s written a few things.

Absolutely in awe of referring to Golden as part of “the story dev team” too, despite her repeatedly noting that she’s not.

6 Likes

Fr i just picked magni randomly doesnt matter who it is

When people ask what abt sylvanas it turns out she juat went on to live with Nathanos and enjoying some tallboys in a swamp.

That’s like 90% licensed stuff which doesn’t fill me with confidence.

1 Like

Christie Golden: licensed to kill franchises

2 Likes

I didn’t really have much against Golden until she decided to write that ranting tweet that was along the lines of “you can’t critique my work unless you’ve been a New York Times best seller or worked in the triple A industry”.

13 Likes

Doesn’t fill you with confidence for what? Her job isn’t to dictate where the story goes, she’s not part of the story development team, she literally writes what she gets told to write by blizz.

She’s not even part of the WoW team. She works across Blizz IPs as needed.

The fact she keeps getting brought up in these sorts of discussions is really weird. Since it’s Boush bringing her up, I’m just going to assume sexism though. Don’t see any other reason that she’d get brought up in this.

9 Likes

Literally any other industry:

Contractor does a shoddy job: You blame both the business that contracted them and the contractor.

Christie Golden: Press 1 for a random set of pre-generated arguments:

• “She’s a woman.”
  • “She doesn’t work for blizzard/Is part of the team”
  • “You are a sexist/racist/gamer/white man/any other negative adjective the personality downloaded from twitterfeed can generate”
  • bonus: All things at once.
8 Likes

My nerves.

5 Likes

The quality of Christie Golden’s content absolutely varies from decent-ish (the Arthas story) to absolute trash (the entire Sad Orc saga).

Edit: whether she has as much of a say in what goes on or how many of her ideas are incorporated into the setting we’ll never know tbqh. She was very wishy-washy the other day with Twitter saying “she didn’t know what was coming up” but very quickly backtracked to “art wise!!!”.

3 Likes

It invites a lot of scrutiny and general distrust when you constanstly flip-flop between saying that you have a say in the story-making process and having none.

Not surprised she’s getting a lot of dislikes lately.

Golden is doomed to tank any story-related criticism until the day Blizzard writers emerge from their dojo and become public faces the same way she and Danuser are, regardless of how deserving she is of said criticism.

Which will never happen because they know that day will be the day of their reckoning. They’d much sooner leave through the back door, head bowed low and employee card left in the bin. The Way of Afrasiabi-sensei.

No wonder most devs stay off twitter when ‘fans’ will invent stories around them even though 90% of everything they post is cat pics and Tom Hiddleston thirst.

“Knowing what happens” also notably different to “directly has a deciding vote on the direction of what happens”, which seems to be what some people seem to believe she has.

4 Likes

It just reeks pretty badly of sexism when for pretty much unrelated things you’re still compelled to throw Golden in it as well.

She’s just a boomer on the twitter and I do feel like the dislike she gets because of that is a little disproportional.

But I mean, nothing new knowing some posters.

But again, it comes down as to whether how much of her input is taken onboard; which we don’t really know. I doubt conversations go “you will write this” “ok”, I’m sure she spitballs ideas back or wants to put her own little touch on things (who wouldn’t when working on a project?)

But eh, it’s pretty much a shadowboxing conversation. I don’t know. I’m more invested in my seething cope over Dan*ser continually reaching lows with this plot lol.

1 Like

Me, I’m playing through Blackwood in ESO atm. About to jump into Deadlands next and wrestle with Mehrunes Daddy Dagon

1 Like

Christie Golden is, as Nerathion put it, a boomer on twitter. Fair. But, as also said previously, she has a tendency to stand up and come out of the shadows and declare being v. Happy with her work and taking credit when things are going well, and saying she doesnt know or do anything when things are going bad.

Writers and people in general who are confident in their abilities and views have no need to be discreet or discussing the problems of their works. See: Shadow of the Conqueror.

1 Like

Ultimately, Ion’s the head of the game, and Danuser’s head of the story. Any devs below that aren’t making the final calls.

For all we know, Golden could’ve hated on Shadowlands from the start and - if she did have any input - argued against everything that happened. Did she? We’ll probably never find out. All we do know is that this was the story that Ion+Danuser chose to go with.

I mean if people really wanted to get on the writer’s case surely they should be looking at Justin Parker, the only other Narrative Designer listed in Slands’ credits besides Danuser, or any of the other people in the Creative Development, Lore or Creative Development, Writers section. Their names never come up though, just Golden’s. And I think that’s weird.

https://www.wowhead.com/news/new-shadowlands-and-previous-expansion-credits-screens-317774

Probably for the best though, if their names were looked at more no doubt Gamers would harass them too.

3 Likes

Honestly unsure what’s weirder, people blaming Golden for story direction or people saying the people who are blaming Golden are obviously being sexist.

Edit:

I’m sure we’d hear a lot more about Mr. Justin Parker if the guy ever popped up to do interviews or wrote stories.

Again the complaints about Golden are weird and undeserved but the fact that people are complaining about Golden is the natural consequence of the enigmatic attitude the Blizzard writing team has assumed.

If Knaak was still actively involved I bet it wouldn’t be any different for him.

1 Like

this isn’t what Elenthas is saying - it was targeted at a specific poster who has a bit of a history