PTR Spoiler/Discussion Thread (Part 2)

I’m all for giving players more customization options, but for Velen to give the demons who betrayed their own people and systematically committed genocide against them a form of redemption is just… ugh.

This just shows that Blizzard is just following the rule of cool and no longer cares about the lore that was established.

Can’t wait for all the demon RPers to infest the Cathedral district in Stormwind, gonna be a blast.

7 Likes

It also throws several storylines in a loop; the Alliance is more accepting of the troopers of the Burning Legion than other peoples. :melting_face:

Nightborne? gtfo gtfo
Man’ari? [ lays down the red carpet ] COME IN COME IN

Not even the troopers. The Eredar were recruited by Sargeras to function as the commanders of the Burning Legion, so they were giving the orders to hunt down the Draenei.

I have mentioned this to someone before, but this just feels like another attempt to D&D-ify the setting, which this expansion is full of.

For some context on my tirades with a few examples:

· We could have had Warcraft Dragonkin as a playable race. Instead, they made dracthyr, which are similar to D&D Dragonkin and Warforged.

· We could have had Warcraft Dragonsworn as a playable class. Instead, we got Evokers, which are almost the exact same as draconic bloodline sorcerers from D&D.

· We could have had a warlock quest and race explanation that actually makes sense, but instead, we got the D&D route of treating Lightforged like Aasimar and portraying it as if warlocks can only get powers from making pacts with patrons.

· We could have had Eredar as an evil NPC option. Instead, we’re getting them without an option to make their eyes green and as a group of ‘redeemed eredar’, thus making it a thinly veiled attempt to be able to play Tieflings in Warcraft.

I am all for exploring new paths in the setting, but, I recognise this path. I recognise the tiles, I recognise the bricks, I recognise the houses along the way. This is some bootleg D&D stuff.

mfw when the alliance is basically NASA after World War 2

1 Like

The problem with Night Elven heritage armour and what most people feared, is that it’s not going to be the skimpy bikini that both sexes wore in Nazmir/BfA. People really wanted that one, so it’s in the same ballpark.

In a way, since Night Elves generally are all about stealth and agility, less is more in terms of their armor outfits. And yes, I know that you can do all the agile things in full plate, but you’re still going to be weighed down somewhat compared to someone in a bikini.

1 Like

It’s the scope that gets me. This isn’t like a Forsaken who had an epiphany after one too many Blight catapultings and left to join the Argent Crusade to atone for what they did. This isn’t like DKs or vanilla warlocks or DHs who do a necessary evil Punisher esque morality. It isn’t even like the orcs who only waged a genocidal war and blew up their own planet.

The man’ari exterminatus’d countless worlds and all that lived on them. Countless, over 25000 years of crusading. The crimes of “evil” classes/groups already in the factions are “got told to move on by police because they were loitering” by comparison.

1 Like

Which is great!

They should release that one as well, but for heritage armor it was far too little detailed imo

3 Likes

I mean, who wouldn’t want an Army (or remntant of it) that rampaged thrugh the Universe on their side?
It isa bit of a
“I have an army…”
“We have a Hulk”
moment.

We have an army!
We have the Burning Legion
'kay, peace talks. NOW

I’m going to preface this with I know the game has to move on from Vanilla, the factions should 100% develop and I’m a bit miffed that the Horde council didn’t happen after Garrosh.

However, part of the themes of the Alliance back in Vanilla was how they were dogmatically against certain forms of magic/peoples/stances, with a thin layer of hypocrisy on top (do NOT ask about the hidden warlocks of Stormwind).

The Alliance has generally lost all distinction that set it aside from the Horde. We can talk about how the blood elves were shunned through their narrative of a means to an end and then the Nightborne run a similar story. You have the Forsaken being initially shunned because of what they are.

What do these storylines even mean, in hindsight now? The issue with chucking the demons into the Alliance is the double-standards (not that this is inherently a bad thing, we love flaws and negative traits), or rather, I will bet my house that the double standards aren’t even deigned with attention? How do you reconcile Stormwind, who lost Varian to the Legion, with the fact that there’s going to be demons strutting about? What does the Alliance even stand for at this point beyond vague buzzwords?

I’m all for customisation, but this is a major whiff imo.

16 Likes

The distinction is that the mask is now fully off. The Alliance were always the baddies of the setting and now they’re not even trying to hide it.

1 Like

The Horde has also generally lost all distinction that set it aside from the Alliance, so at least it’s… consistent?

2 Likes

Now now
Since Warcraft 3, the “Horde” wasn’t anything else than a coalition of species on the edge of extinction
So basically an Alliance, just less humans in it

Deconstructing what you love inconsistent of what came to the past.

Funny how this seems to happen across many forms of entertainement.

? Dragonkin+Dracthyr have the same origins - a combo of mortal and dragon.

In fact dracthyr are distinctly not like dragonborn, in that dragonborn don’t get any sort of visage form, nor are they an amalgamation of all the dragon colours, but rather connected to a single one.

Dracthyr are also test tube babies, whereas Dragonborn are either a) transmogrified mortals via a magical ritual you voluntary choose (3.5) or b) direct descendants of dragons and hatched from eggs as children.

Is any ‘artificially’ created soldier D&D like because warforged also exist? Seems like a huge stretch to me.

I mean, again, no. They’re not. They’re ‘the same’ in that they both derive power from a dragon source, but draconic sorcerers are explicitly mortals (of any race) with a fragment of dragon power from a single colour. Dracthyr combine all the flights powers at once.

I don’t think that’s what the quest said at all.

Draenei art already has so much crossover with tieflings that frequently you can’t tell which is which at a glance so like…eh. Usually you have to look for feet vs. hooves but tiefling can have hooves as well, so even that’s no guarantee.

Which is true, I could rant about both. Everything is just devolving into the same grey gloop with the same beige buzzwords.

6 Likes

https://twitter.com/Portergauge/status/1679782192904568832?s=20

This twit thread has some other stuff (shadow naaru called ‘Dimension Breaker’, a nightmare spider, Maiev) but this one’s probably the most important to me.
Slands undead/maldraxxi models (for now) called ‘Light Lich’ and ‘Light Knight’.

Calia fears are growing.

4 Likes

I’m just so tired Lintian, the setting is increasingly sanitized. :sleepy:

3 Likes

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?