PTR Spoiler/Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Still waiting for Blizzard to release this for Death Knights.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/646808945280811031/1131148469369851966/UnusedDKStuff.png

Especially interested in that red Greatsword of the Ebon Blade :frowning:

I think that a show that starts off with showcasing a viking slowly becoming agnostic as he realizes gods don’t exist and are more of a human excuse to overcome grief to around season 3 or whatever pivot to Odin literally appearing out of nowhere transcends mortal concepts such as “good” and “bad”.

It is simply astounding, much like WoW.

Wasn’t he slowly becoming Christian?

We’re talking about Vikings: Valhalla right?

I need to rewatch it lmao. I’m confused

Odin is literally the fifth character seen in Vikings, preceded only by Rollo, Ragnar himself and two nobodies from the Baltic. Him appearing in season 5 is neither out of nowhere nor without precedent.

1 Like

No no, the Vikings show from 2013, trendsetter of the side shaved viking trope that survives to this day.

It’s been a hot minute, are you saying Odin is there (as in literally there as he is later in the show) or are people imagining him (which is what the show does for the preceding five seasons, showcasing humanity’s desperate want for gods to be real when they are not).

1 Like

In the first few minutes of that first episode we literally see Odin walking around the aftermath of a great off-screen battle that just took place, choosing which amongst the fallen is to be taken to Valhalla by his valkyries with flocks of ravens flying around. Both Rollo and Ragnar see him.

I’ve always chalked that up to their imagination, similar things happen on and off through the seasons (like this banger here)

The difference later being Odin appearing to three different people across the world imparting the same info that they all take part of so that they know they have to meet up. We’ve gone from the agnostic core of the start (Did they really see him?) to hard facts (they 100% saw him otherwise they wouldn’t know what he told the others). Gods are confirmed instead of vague (Ragnar even says he doesn’t believe they exist despite having supposedly seen Odin so even he chalks it up to his own imagination.)

These are just a handful of insanely curious things in Vikings that parallel the insanity of WoW’s development, like the old man with skin made out of fried bacon licking peoples hands or the french semi automatic handheld crossbows.

1 Like

If you have a setting where the gods and/or the divine presence (Light) isn’t just a guy with human failings à la greek mytholoy it’s certainly an odd choice to then do a big reveal that the Goddess has a sister who’s a “cosmic spirit” inhabiting a gynoid body and running an obviously manifactured afterlife realm.

Then you choose to have the goddess speak and fess up to ignorance of her favoured people’s demise.

It’s completely on blizzard that they haven’t portrayed the great kaldorei apostasy as the wild gods were proven products of the titans who were physically locked away and Elune demonstrated as incompetent.

6 Likes

:nerd_face: small correction (: their demise was entirely her plan, the only part that escaped her was that they went to the maw

truly lore of all time

You meme but it’s stupid anyway. We’re at the point of certain fantasy settings where the greater mysteries are so stripped away that it’s the rational position of any scholar to regard any god as no more than a sufficiently advanced person with individual power rather than anything deserving of worship.

It becomes less a matter of faith and more a matter of sending a strongly worded letter to a neglectful upper management as the thing they claim dominion over crumbles.

This church is now a worker co-op. Oops, forgotten shadow.

5 Likes

The Titans free the planet from Old God sacrificial slavery systems, do away with caste systems and implement wonders across Azeroth whilst allying with the Wild Gods who are natural embodiments of nature and life and yet nobody talks about how every other Divine beings in the WoW setting are actually way more evil than that almost every day. If anything we need to go back to chilling with Tyr and the Titans.

1 Like

“They’re not gods but they’re the best we got.”

That’s how you end up building pyramids for high tech aliens while you languish in medieval squalor. Dal shakka mel!

1 Like

Well, when Azerothians were buddy-buddy with the Titans you had the massive, expansive Kaldorei Empire and the Titan cities living in what-seemed-to-be relative peace and prosperity. Okay sure, thats because it was just Titans, Elves and Trolls but hey I’m sure we can think of something.

1 Like

When the world is divided, the titans get their kids in the divorce. At least I’ll look fabulous in a chiton dress.

1 Like

I’ve been posting about a permanent broom mount for months and they made it happen

I also tweeted @ Ion to give me back Eyes of the Beast and all the other lost flavour abilities that hunters lost and we got them back

coincidence? i think not. my dad works at blizzard (i am akamito’s cousin)

7 Likes
1 Like

I refuse to watch this garbage. If only for the American accents, haircuts that have become synonymous with trashy people and the pleather armour outfits galore.

I find this suspicious.

Aren’t you secretly Ion? :hocho:

That said, my belf warlock’s gonna go all in on the Witch/Warlock RP.