PTR Spoiler/Discussion Thread (Part 2)

It’s not just you. The blue gemstones is also a choice I’m not a huge fan of, even if I suppose it does make sense to distance oneself from fel-green as a colour.

1 Like

Grimoire of the Shadowlands. The Broken author is very specifically made out to be full of :poop:. People took his opinions about shamanism and tauren at face value even though it’s literally spelled out that he doesn’t understand shamanism and therefore it’s the shaman who must be wrong because the alternative would be that he’s wrong and he doesn’t like that.

The only reliable parts in the book are the racial funerary customs he wrote down after directly interviewing members of those races. His commentary and opinion about them is not.

This very same in game book that people are now losing their minds over is also specifically tagged as a made up story with no basis in reality.

1 Like

In a way it’s just a very new thing - books not being 100% factually correct in the context of wow. Or atleast what we’re used to. Generally it’s always been very what you see is what you get.

And people begged for more in-game books written by unreliable narrators a la Elder Scrolls for years to make the world feel more alive with some characters having unhinged or unique takes that inform different world views aside from what the narrator(s) tell.

That they’re doing it now and the reaction is that they’re still being taken at 100% face value even when you’re directly told that it’s not a reliable narrator just shows that it’ll never work in WoW.

3 Likes

The gold lines don’t sync.

3 Likes

I think part of the reason is that they seemingly started doing this (retroactively?) with Chronicles, which was originally sold to us as a ‘definitive’ sort of guide / source of canon lore only to later be rectified to actually just be some in-universe interpretations or what have you, which is a pretty poor thing to do if you want to get the ball rolling on subjective in-universe texts

2 Likes

Yeah i bought chronicles 1 to 3 because they were sold as the canon truth of the setting, smoothing out lore across the game and ensing debates what happened and what didn’t with the story.

And then Danuser decanonizes them because they made him look like an idiot.

13 Likes

Yeah I bought them all as well. It’s imprinted the distinct sense that ‘subjective’ in-universe books aren’t written as such/with the intent of being that, but rather as a sort of excuse to retcon ideas presented in them without having it be a retcon technically. It sucks.

At least the books still have lots of pretty art!

2 Likes

He did this to himself in the first place.

4 Likes

He’s got a lot of things and people to decanonise if that’s all it takes…

1 Like

The Chronicles weren’t decanonised. They’re still canon and the information in them valid until proven otherwise. The idea that they’re written from Titan POV is only an excuse to later say that if they have a retcon at their hands, they can handwave it. Old lore is always valid until contradicted by a newer source.

1 Like

Turns out people don’t like buying something under one unifying premise only to be told later by a different dude in charge that it’s all incorrect… from a certain point of view.

1 Like

exactly and this sucks + is a poor way of beginning the concept of ‘we have subjective sources of information in books because they’re written in-universe actually!’ when it wasn’t sold like that

1 Like

Yeah it was a poor way of handling it, but by and large the Chronicles are still valid until otherwise stated. They just tried to throw some flavour to potential future retcons and it didn’t stick its landing.

2 Likes

Chronicles has only ever caused issues for the setting in terms of magic and cosmology. :unamused:

3 Likes

An excuse of a coward.

2 Likes

Tear out the first 5 pages and it’s solid.

Chris metzen

1 Like

Some of the documents in Dragonflight that make it clear that the Keepers censored the “truth” about the Black Empire era of Azeroth, which also makes it apparent that the Chronicles are no longer the perspective of the Titans, but are now the curated history of the Titanic Keepers.

The Edicts of the Prime Designate, I think.

Blizzard are actually going to justify an era of all consuming insanity which forces mutations of eyes and fleshy tentacles aren’t they?

8 Likes

In Blizzard’s eyes:-
https://keith-baker.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/dwarfeberrontt.png
average titanic order fan vs. average black empire enjoyer