PTR Spoiler/Discussion Thread (Part 2)

when i log into wow at the start of cataclysm and find out that my faction leader got killed off screen

what a wild time that was

7 Likes

Honestly, the biggest shocker I read in there was that Krasus reanimated a goblin corpse as an undead, no matter how temporarily.

I don’t remember that, but that’s fine with me because it’s a goblin.

Not racist, just don’t like 'em.

I do remember Malfurion basically obliterating an entire woodland and draining it’s life force to heal Krasus though which I thought was cool but not sure if that’s still canonically how druid magic works.

I can’t say that I know though. Druid rp was not my forté I fear.

I am mostly wondering about the time-travel part though, seeing as I like wow’s time-travel and sometimes incorporate it into my rp. Krasus was severely weakened because his past self already existed there and thus they had to share the life-force, so I wonder, does that canonically happen to everyone that travels to a time-period where their past- or future counterpart already exists? Because that would be pretty important for me to know!

And would it affect a death knight or Forsaken seeing as they no longer rely on life for obvious reasons?

I appreciated knaak for treating Azeroth as a planet and not like it is in game.

side-eyes golden

14 Likes

Bad necronono or red dragon breath of life?

Transfer and balance, all things equal. Sacrifice and renewal. I’d say it’s consistent, if unorthodox.

Bad necronono.

“They know how best to reach the dragon’s lair,” Krasus explained, hand glowing again. “They can show us the way.”

Brox gazed around. Of the goblins he could see, all appeared dead. Then he saw the one who had struck the rocks rise awkwardly. At first, the weary orc wondered how the creature had survived such an impact- and realized swiftly that he had not.

“We are the servants of Life,” Krasus whispered with clear distaste, “which means we know Death equally well.”

“By the Mother Moon…” Malfurion gasped.

Muttering a prayer to the spirits, Brox stared at the animated corpse. It reminded him too much of the Scourge. Without realising it, he kept his ax tight incase the goblin should attack.

“Rest easy, my friends. I am only resurrecting the memories of his path. He will walk it, then that will be the end of the matter. I am no Nathrezim, to relish in the binding of corpses to do my will.” He gestured at the dead goblin, who, after performing a haphazard turn, began shambling forth. “Now, come! Let us be done with this distasteful business and prepare ourselves for entrance into the sanctum of the dark one…”

Krasus calmly walked behind his macabre puppet. After a moment, Malfurion followed. Brox hesitated, then, recalling the evil that they all faced, nodded approval at the mage’s necessary course of action and joined the others.

Though, when I spoke about it with a friend, it seems more as if he’s just having the corpse temporarily run on muscle-memory rather than actually force the goblin’s soul back into it’s body improperly, but still, he does it, and he voices clear disgust at having to do it.

3 Likes

Ah yes, the ethical necromancy method.

4 Likes

“I’m only doing a bit of necromancy out of necessity.” - Every Necromancer’s first step on the road to lichdom.

4 Likes

I have read Knaak’s dragonlance books on the Minotaur wars, and they are really good.

Aside from his weird obsession with deities and dragons having sex, I prefer his work to that of Golden any day.

Knaak’s War of the Ancients trilogy implied that there were other Gods pre-sundering Kaldorei worshipped as well apart from Elune (we now kinda know it was the Titans but hey it took until Legion to get that info in-game and it was cool)

4 Likes

This is now a Knaak appreciation thread.

There were Old Gods too, even back then. Remember how Azshara recognized N’Zoth’s fish without any explanations or hints?

1 Like

If you listen to some of his interviews, he actually explains that he has never been very good at building entire settings or worlds- Nor does it particularly interest him.

What he does enjoy and has a passion for is breathing life into already existing settings. He likes being presented the frameworks of the world and where the story takes place, and then making up or using pre-existing characters and figuring out how they act in the setting.

That approach forces you to respect the setting. Whereas when you are told that the world is your playground with no walls or ceilings you can’t break, we get people like Danuser and Co.

2 Likes

Can definitely respect the former rather than the latter, aye.

I can openly admit that while I like Knaak books, phew there’s one I never managed to finish and one I barely managed to reach the end. Wolf’s Heart and Stormrage respectively. Everything else is gucci but it’s clear to him that for Knaak the world itself is the character, everyone else literally lives in it heh.

I trust you were being sarcastic, because deconstructing Arthas into Anakin 2.0 is not good writing, it’s uninspired trash that undermines his arc in Warcraft III.

That’s a consequence of retcons looping on themselves.

In WC3, Thrall commented that the Barrens looked like Draenor, and by all indications he was correct. Draenor was depicted as a rugged land, but one capable of supporting life. And in WC3, Durotar was founded in the Barrens and shared its map tileset.

But then came vanilla WoW, where the Barrens was depicted as more arid than in WC3, and Durotar was even more arid. Suddenly Thrall’s decision to settle there seemed a lot more questionable. And then came TBC, which established that ackshually Draenor was a lush idyllic grassland before the fel ruined it. So Thrall was hit by the orc version of Starshade’s Law, twice, and the writers came up with “penance” as an unconvincing retroactive justification.

5 Likes

No, I consider Arthas’ “arc” to be exhaustingly shoddy even way back when and establishing him as entitled and possessive prior to his corruption sets a better tone for his later decisions.

How would he know?

Should’a stuck with wc2’s alien mushroom swamp planet.

5 Likes

Grom had a side hustle as a landscape painter.
He was quite good at it too.

1 Like