PTR Spoiler/Discussion Thread (Part 2)

-1 Off your report card for poor spelling.

i used to be one of those people that thought america was dumb for changing the spelling of all of those words

then i realised i actually don’t care at all because that is literally the least of their problems

4 Likes

American english is spelling errors and regional dialect being stubbornly perpetuated by force of empire.

2 Likes

shut up nerd

1 Like

I’m not really caught up on the story but didn’t we help or get help from Smolderon during Legion as a Shaman for their class hall story? I thought it was a good guy but now it’s a raid boss?

You didn’t miss anything.

Smolderon’s Plot goes as follows:-
Legion: Appears for the first time. The Shaman class hall leader help him become the new Firelord, to help unite the Elemental Lords for help against the Legion.
BfA: Dark Iron quest regarding the Cult of Ragnaros confirms that Smolderon has gone “missing”, and the Ragnaros Cult leader seemed to know what was going on but wouldn’t spill the beans.
Dragonflight: Smolderon reappears, and the only information as to why is from the dungeon journal.
“As the new Firelord, Smolderon has unleashed the power of the Firelands to expand his domain and incinerate the Emerald Dream.”

He dies in the raid, and his powers are apparently absorbed by Fyrakk in the process, killing Smolderon for good(?).

That is the sum totality of his character appearance.

But… I actually prefer US spellings, despite learning the British ones first…

Don’t Elemental (Lords) creatures regenerate and reform in the Firelands, hence Raggy could be a boss in Cataclysm?

Not that even killing them in the Elemental Planes matters since the Cult was trying to resurrect him anyway.

Just asking since the Amirdrassil areas seem to me as just being burned into Firelands-esque rooms and not necessarily part of the Elemental Planes.

Since he was expanding his domain into the Emerald Dream, I’d guess that it counts as the Firelands - his boss room is called “Throne of the Firelord” and looks decidedly Firelands-y.

This, combined with Fyrakk slurping up his juices after he dies definitely feels like they intended for Smolderon to be done-zo for good-so.

It’s not explicitly confirmed, I guess, but the implication definitely feels like it’s meant to go that way.

I do in some cases too.
Colour looks better with a U though.

While I think Smolderon is wasted as a character.

Having a giant flying shadowflame Lizard as Elemental Lord is deffo a one of a kind and pretty awesome

1 Like

Man the number of times I’ve heard this line of logic regarding lore characters makes me feel like he’ll be a dungeon boss within an expansion or two

Fyrakk really said “Lemme get that sip!!” huh?

1 Like

I think it was a bit expected from the get go that he was going to be a forgotten side-character sadly.

When Smolderon was introduced, it was already well into WoW’s history of giving important characters distinct models. Smolderon if I recall is just a re-skinned doomlord(and not even the only firelands one who is that as there was that gatekeeper boss in the raid & maybe others).

They didn’t bother to make him visually distinct, let alone in much of story or character.

1 Like

Wasn’t he just a upsized Fire Elemental?

2 Likes

Googling it, he shares the identical model of Baeloc which is yeah just classified as a fire elemental. But its not the shaman elemental model. Instead its a Doomlord/doomguard model with fire effects.

1 Like

Ohh fair enough! I remebered him as just an upsized fire elemental, lol

2 Likes

It’s Schrodinger’s regeneration. They both regenerate and don’t regenerate until the writers decide. And there’s no guarantee that they won’t change their mind.

2 Likes

Chris metzen

1 Like

See a recent example of this, the old gods. They kept hammering in constantly that they could only be defeated, not killed, since last one died, it went really bad. So we defeated Yogg and C’thun. In Legion we got several examples of both of them seemingly returning too with very strong hints for it.

Then in BfA, we straight up kill N’zoth, and as of last, the war within panel recap mentioned ALL old gods as dead. Flat out dead, including the previously vaugely mentioned un-named fifth one.

8 Likes