PTR Spoiler/Discussion Thread (Part 2)

What’s that mean?

2 Likes

I’m guessing it’s related to Weebs? Idk, even Urban Dictionary isn’t helping.

It’s not weeb or any of the sort. WoWs story is like the cool stories your dad in your life used to tell you. But his gone now. And now your mom is telling the same stories. Just extremely child friendly and safe for school tomorrow.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheWoobie

DF really just lacks heroism. Man, even WoD, despite how lackluster it turned out to be, still understood that and yes without any substance or strong connective threads leading them but if you were to look at them individually without knowing anything about it, it still hits when Velen sacrifices himself without a word, how Thrall faces Garosh or how Ga’nar does the beloved last stand trope.

I can only speak for myself, but seldom in the game does the worgen curse come across as a positive thing. It makes you stronger, but a lot of worgen NPCs has an incredibly violent and/or animalistic streak even after the ritual of balance and their state is at times even played against them, like when Nathanos is goading Genn to shapeshift in BfA. The game never fully seems to have committed to the idea of Gilnean culture melding in a harmonic way with the curse, at least visually. They are always presented as two very separate things that could easily be removed from one another.

add night elven worgen

7 Likes

Dragonflight if you read the quests. Watch the cutscenes. And don’t write it all off as being ‘‘woke’’ garbage actually has allot of heroism and feels in it. But its yeah…

The story feels like your mom came in and told your dad to calm it down on the ‘‘Hurrah’’ And started to tell you the same warcraft story just very Mom friendly.

Its like your mom trying to tell you about warfare and brutality of life. Just as child friendly and safely as possible.

But its not bad or without impact or emotion. Far from it… Its just far from what we are used too the way the story is being told I mean.

1 Like

Well, they are werewolves. The fantasy of being a werewolf is typically not one of harmony and balance between humanity and bestial rage, it’s a fantasy full of conflicting and the werewolf wrestling to keep their inner beast under control, or learning that they can’t keep it bottled up forever and figuring out how to unleash it.

Though I haven’t played a worgen character in ages, I’ve got to say that there’s something appealing about that to me, so I’m surprised that so many people go for still-human Gilneans rather than worgen. Is the fact that the worgen curse isn’t positive really an off-putting factor?

Stormwind is led by a Lordaeronian, the Bilgewater Cartel is led by a Steamwheedle, the Forsaken of Lordaeron were led by a ranger of Quel’thalas, the future leader of Ironforge is a Dark Iron, the leader of the Tirisgarde is a necromancy practitioner with ‘Fel’ on his surname, the Night Elves are ruled by someone born in Suramar…

Warcraft is full of things like these. It’s a bit silly, but it do be that way.

1 Like

Though true, she did fairly recently express the possibility of that changing in the future. So she might eventually make an informed decision to adopt that aspect of her people as well.

To compare, being undead is a worse fate but the Forsaken aren’t the Forsaken without it. Gilneas is still Gilneas without the worgen. A lot of people are mostly after the cool gilnean vibe and if you can just not be a worgen, that’s a pretty easy choice.

I just noticed; the Warlock Shen’dralar NPC in the tent outside the Outcast tower has the Nightborne green eyes on him!

I’m jealous, as I would love that color for my NElf characters aswell! :weary:

1 Like

I know it’s not a surprise, but not getting Dynamic Flight or Comp Dungeons til 60 is something I really hope changes over patches/expac.

Tired of the levelling Game languishing behind in every single way heh.

When do we get the old models to use Dynamic flight, tho? Or is that coming in a future patch?

1 Like

Calia really is unsuited as some kind of Forsaken figure. While everyone else has decayed, has missing parts or having had to replace them with someone else’s, she’s here, pristinely conserved having never had to be under someone’s thrall and -bleh- domination, killed through friends, family, ally and compatriots only to then be vilified when regaining independance and finally having to result in being hyper belligerant as a means to protect yourself.

1 Like

I suppose I struggle to see anything too unique about human Gilneans from Cataclysm onward.

“We’re a proud and noble people who have fallen on hard times ever since we lost our northern kingdom, now we wish to retake our homeland from the monsters who stole it from us.”

That describes the Gilneans quite nicely. It also describes humans from Stromgarde and Lordaeron too. But I suppose this is just me having difficulties seeing the appeal.

I don’t know whether to feel happy or sad for you if your parents told you stories with such meticulous conformance to gender stereotypes that you had to emphasize it with a second post.

I know you’re exaggerating and speaking in the abstract rather than about your own parents. But if your actual parents, rather than the metaphorical gender-stereotypical parents your imagination conjured for these posts, told you stories, be glad that they told you stories at all.

In my childhood, my father didn’t tell me any stories. He was too busy coming home drunk, yelling and smashing the furniture while I hid in my room, deathly afraid. When he didn’t drink, he was too busy working so our family could make things meet, and at any rate, other than crass jokes from his army past, he knew no stories worth telling.

My mother didn’t tell me any stories either. She was chronically tired and at the brink of nervous collapse, serving as an unpaid cook, nanny and psychotherapist, having grown in a miner village with controlling parents, with no comprehension of concepts like “abusive relationship”, “autonomy” or “personal borders”.

Of course, I didn’t know any of these terms back then either. All I had was a vague feeling that this was unfair, and wasn’t how it should be.

My parents didn’t think their enemy was in any way unusual. “Such is life,” they repeated the folk wisdom. I was never satisfied with this response. How does it explain or justify anything? Surely just because they themselves had bad experience with life doesn’t mean life is all bad? And if it is, isn’t it unjust, don’t we have a duty to change it for the better?

My parents didn’t tell me stories. I read them in books. Of course, as a kid, most of the stories I read were fairy tales, most of them folk ones. Some of them were saccharine, others were filled with scary, sometimes even gruesome imagery. Almost all had happy endings. Though it took the heroes hardships to get there, in the end, it all meant something. Wicked witches were undone, evil chancellors overthrown, everymen heroes married princesses and lived happily ever after. It was escapist, in hindsight, but I had plenty of things to escape from.

People throw around “for kids” as some kind of pejorative, but lot of children’s stories are genuinely disturbing to read. What they usually don’t contain is things that edgy teenagers believe constitute adulthood, such as gratuituous swearing, gore, and sex — nor do they have characters dying for cheap shock value, rather than as a result of their own choices.

If it helps, consider WoW a collection of multi-expansion narratives. Dragonflight on is own is an upbeat, optimistic story about renewal, but also adventure, discovery, and the thrill of flight. It’s bright, cheerful and colorful, by design. It’s intended to become the new player experience, replacing BfA, to gently ease the players into the world, and so its story is made as accessible as possible, and its environment and the peoples encountered are a nostalgic selection of greatest hits. But that’s only one of its roles.

The other is to be an extended epilogue to many stories dealing with grief and loss. A payoff to all that pain and suffering that many of Azeroth’s denizens and peoples went through over the course of wars, cataclysms, and alien invasions. Those were the trials. Dragonflight is the happy ending, wrapping some of the stories that came before it and giving the world a much-needed reprieve before a new story can begin.

I’ll finish with the words of Ursula Le Guin.

The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick 'em, join 'em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else.

3 Likes

Oh dear me… You wrote all of that and expected me to- Never mind. il try my best. Give me a minute

1 Like

I don’t expect you to write anything specific at all. :slight_smile: Write what you want, however much you want — nothing, if you so desire.