Raider.io Should be broken if it continues charging players for fast updating

You do not have to use the addon, so Blizzard does not have anything to do with it. You can simply wait until it updates, which may seem like forever on some of the busy days or pay to speed it up.

It is both, people in pugs don’t know you, two people on the same or similar class circa the same rio score, but one has a higher ilev, you will take the guy with the higher ilev.

Secondly I don’t see what my mains score has to do with this thread, I am highlighting an addon charging for a premium service and the possibility that if Blizzard allow this to continue that many other essential addons might follow suit.

This of course will be the destruction of the game once players find themselves shelling out a grand or more per annum on addon “services”. As is RIO alone is €120 per year just for its fastest que times.

But why would you pay?

Just query the update and continue playing? Or do something else? You don’t have to stare at it.

Yes, I know. And we already had a good number amount of topics like that.

I also have my opinion about raiderio, which is not immediately a positive one, since the total score is too important (dungeon x is important for dungeon y), and it does hurt progressing, since you are only invited what you have done before, not +1 higher.

Solutions are remove the total score from the addon, and only show it below the website under all the dungeons as a total score. Not this highlighted with even previous season scores. Score an out of time -1 second better than now and more time left should also be rewarded better. A 10 minutes in time should be close to the +1 difficulty.

I agree that “oh, this probably breaks some law” is just an echo of “please disable this addon for whatever reason”.

That said, if we are talking legally, the moment anything that touches WoW starts charging for anything at all, Blizzard won’t like it. Go too far, advertise too much or put too much under the paywall, and they will go out and break you. And they would be kind of right to do so (long story, but in a nutshell, if you allow others to profit on what’s yours, you open yourself for all kinds of trouble, if you want to control it at all - and they do, and I won’t blame them - you better not let anything grow more than 1 inch above the ground).

So, the money matter here is quite simple and is not about breaking some law. It’s just whether the service is intrusive enough / ubiquitous enough to get Blizzard’s attention. That’s why it raider io are quite a bit sheepish about it on their site and everywhere else. They understand that it’s not about breaking or not breaking laws.

Update faster with elevated queue priority

that is what is said on their site. and that is false advertising, you even said it your self that it doesnt make things go faster.
even if the API is free, it is still owned buy Blizzard, meening they do make money out of an Blizzard product, the only thing they should do is remove where they say faster ques, nothing else, that is what people are annoyed about.

if Blizzard cares about it or not, I am not sure and that is not for me to say, I am just saying why they could be in trouble if blizzard so wishes. Becuse they are in a way trying to make money out of someone else product.

3 Likes

Has everything to do with it.
You’re complaining about a volountary contribution to a third party addon which is again, volountary and not mandatory at all to the process of the game.

There is no need whatsoever for paying raider io unless you really find their service helpful and wont to support their effort (and this can be said about almost every addon): if you think is mandatory, the only reason i can find is that you don’t really know how the scoring works.

2 Likes

The addon can show a load of useful stuff too. Like how high a key someone has done on the dungeon you are queuing for etc. Most of the problems lie with the users. It’s just a tool that shows the data in a easy to use way.

Before the in game addon we all used to have to go to sites like wowprogress and check. The worst part of that was that wowprogress frequently fails to record runs, then just never show. Raider io does a far better job imo and picks up far more data.

The addon does allow me to go straight to the website to see that person’s profile as well so anyone who plays on multiple screens can quickly check. Or you can alt tab out for all it really matters.

I don’t understand why you are complaining, according to your profile you have not completed 3 of the BfA dungeons on Mythic yet.
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/character/doomhammer/cucullan/achievements/dungeons-raids/battle-dungeon

As you can see it tracks Mythics completed on your account, so unless this is a different account from your “Push” character, your argument is invalid, because your score would be low anyway.

My profile will update faster with the elevated queue yes. That is my profile. Not the latest M+ I have run. The latest run you have done will appear in the box on the right hand side of your profile page within 30 mins to an hour after the run. You can queue your profile ten billion times with patreon/premium and it will not make that run appear any faster.

The API is free, they are providing a free addon as required by Blizzard in order for raider io to get access to the API. The addon is not blocked behind a paywall. Anyone can use it for free. The website is free, the addon is free, the desktop app is free.

Blizzard care how their data is used and have rules, you have to agree to their terms and conditions before you are given a license and if you break the terms, they revoke the access and break the addon. Raider io is doing nothing wrong. No matter how many times you claim it.

Repeat after me.

The addon is FREE
The website is FREE
The desktop App is FREE

The conditions have all been met by raider io to provide a free service.

he didnt have problem whit that, he have problem whit Rio due to them advertising faster updates if you pay them, not about what score he had at all.

1 Like

No you are just trying to spin it to deflect from the charges for RIO. The scrubs who think that are not the issue here. Charging people who need to use it, and be on it for making groups is the issue here.

I don’t think it is a bad thing, I’m not looking for the addon to be removed, it saves a few min checking the totally free WOW progress, which actually updates the same information almost instantly. What I am looking for is that Blizzard gives them a slap on the wrist and forbids them from charging for fast updating unless they want their IP blocked from scraping data from wow.

Again, this is only deflecting from the topic. The legality of it or not is not the issue here.

What is the issue is that Blizzard have the power to dictate to them what they can and cannot charge for. All it would take is one phone call from a relevant person at Blizzard to say “stop charging for premium services or we shut you down”.

1 Like

so he does understand how the scoring works but not the website?
the faster queue is for updating your raider page, not your score. and there are other benefits (cosmetic) in being a supporter, clearly listed.

1 Like

Yes I’m sure 99.99% of players paying for premium are doing so for “cosmetics”.

1 Like

and that is not something that is stated on their site, atleast I can not find it anywhere, so people do think it is pay to get faster ques for M+ to show up, they need to change it so people do not get confused about it at all, as it is now, when I updated my profile for free, it said get faster ques, and I instantly assumed oh if I want my M+ score to show up faster I need to pay, it never stated anything else, it has to be explained, so people do not get confused about it, otherwise as I said it can be understood as I said, and that would be false advertising still.

1 Like

No I find this the most ridiculous reason for hating on raider io. It provides a free service, it meets the conditions laid out by Blizzard. It does not break any laws, rules and meets the criteria.

Raider io works as a free addon. The data is updated once a day, it does require you to either used the desktop app to refresh the addon or curse/twitch app to keep the scores up to date in game. An update goes out once per night.

There is a lot of misinformation in this thread. The addon does not require any premium in order to work. It works for free.

If I do a Mythic plus the information from that run comes in at the same time for a premium as a non premium player.

I am not the one who claimed it was breaking copyright, that was other posters. I did not claim they were breaking the rules on how to use the Blizz API, that was other posters. I have merely corrected people every time they make wild claims about an addon that is working for free and does not charge a premium in order for anyone to be able to use it.

The only way raider io would get shut down is if you had to pay to get to the addon, or website, or desktop app. And you don’t. It is all provided for free for everyone.

I think a lot of hard work goes in to various site and addons by people and they have done some amazing things. They all have to provide them for free. Which they all do. Many will provide perks or better support if you support them via patreon or similar means.

exept if you hit update now it say faster ques, nothing else, even if I whent to check what premiums there is, it speaks of faster ques, it never states profile page at all, not that I found atleast.

so in a way it can be false advertising as I talked about, people wont understand how it works otherwise at all it has to be clear and it is not.

2 Likes

Again, waiting your main name to check your score.
People paying for raider premium may do for a thousand reason. They might be the same who support dbm mod creator, or are twich contributor for any of their favorite player/creator. Not everyone is looking for a fast update which is totally optional.

Do you really think who support the addon is just to get his score updated 10 times a day? Do you really think that would make a difference?

The problem is you don’t understand and you’ve misunderstood many things. There is nothing wrong with that. Not everyone understands everything they read especially if it’s in another language. However even after things are explained to you, you will not listen.

You thought a disclaimer was an affiliation.

Raider io does not advertise falsely, it does not break copyright law, it does not break the terms and conditions set out for having a licence for API.

that is why i said they should just remove the faster ques they say if you pay, that way there is no problems what so ever, and none can get confused on what they get, otherwise we end up in this situation, what is not needed at all.

1 Like