Remove the lag please

So you think you did but you don’t.

I never said I wanted classic exactly the way it was, I would actually implement many, many changes that would improve the game, and I held this position since the very beginning.

At least you’re honest, but where is the line drawn.

Personally I believe there are many cosmetic or UI changes which would be beneficial to Classic, however removing Spell Batching isn’t one of them.

Spell Batching is a core mechanic, necessary for a reliable recreation of the PvP balance from vanilla.

1 Like

When it was laggy it was all laggy and horrible and sometimes unplayable, some players even deliberately used it to cheat. Rogues I’m looking at you.

This is just plain weird, everything running as smooth as silk, the casting going smoothly, then it gets to the end, hesitates, aaaaaaand now heal. I don’t remember it ever feeling like this, or having to start casting earlier because it’ll hesitate before it lands. Maybe it’s just my memory, dunno.

It really is just your memory. 15 years of nostalgia is a Hell of a drug.

1 Like

I agree it would be impossible to gauge which change is good or bad for the game, and seeing how Blizz can’t produce a good game anymore, it’s better to have no changes than to have the game ruined by titanforging.
On a sidenote, the changes I’d make would make the “nochanges” crowd implode with anger.
I’d be perfectly fine with keeping spell batching to keep a good PVP balance, but since PVP balance is all over the place in Vanilla, I’d have no problem with changing the currently unbalanced game to a differently unbalaced game (but without spellbatching).

It will definitely be unbalanced, but it should unbalanced accurately.

I don’t remember it running smoothly then hesitating. It’s the smooth bit that’s weird. My casts should either be a panicky mess, or be smooth and accurate, not half and half.

I am not sure if spell batching or leeway are good or bad for the game.

What I do know is that the experience feels pretty authentic to me. I do remember melee hitting from far away and spell effect sometime having a bit of a delay.

On leeway in particular… I remember when I used to bleed warriors to death in their deadzones with my rogue. If I was strafing, they would hit me. If I was backpedalling, they wouldn’t. At the same distance. That’s why I KNOW melee leeway was a thing.

By the way, there are addons to bypass the loot delay, what are you gonna do now? Ban me for bypassing a “feature”?
And please stop with this “you think you did but you didn’t”, it’s maximum cringe.
I think many players expected Vanilla to be functioning without delay, private servers didn’t recreate this nonsense and they were successful nonetheless. It was a part of Vanilla yes, but who likes this? Is there anyone that thinks : omg this delay is so cool I LOVE IT?

3 Likes

People specifically demanded, repeatedly for an accurate recreation of vanilla by Blizzard.

Blizzard told them it isn’t what they think they want and the players denied this.

Blizzard was right, people didn’t want the accurate recreation which they asked for, they wanted Blizzard to setup private server cores so they could have their easier PS experience without the risk the realm gets turned off and without PS corrupt GMs.

Problem is Hottage Blizzard has all ready changed quite a lot so the no change doesn’t hold water imo.

I don’t mind either way about spell batching, but if it is spoiling peoples game play then maybe it does need to be turned down a little, either way I am fine with it.

Removing the ability to climb to building roof tops imo is more of a game changer, I loved the fact you could for example sit on top of the inn in goldshire and than watch for hours as all the newbies tried to copy how you did it, that’s what happened a lot , this should have been brought back into the game but Blizzard decided to remove it.

So the game isn’t what it used to be anyway so it shouldn’t make any difference at all and before anyone says well climbing doesn’t effect game play a skilled PvP party would send the healers up onto the inn and cause all sorts of problems camping goldshire and it could take quite sometime to remove them, fun times!

1 Like

You’re comparing a deliberate gameplay feature with a technology limitation which was commonly exploited for unfair advantages.

Blizzard added guard knock back to the goblin guards to combat wall walking and using it in battlegrounds was bannable.

Removing - or more accurately not reimplementing - it makes sense as it should never have been there.

lol ofc this trash should be gone.
if u want this, they should also lock ur fps to 30 with fps drops and lagg in combat, 1024x768res, 200ms.

lagg is never fun, stop pretending that it is!

blizz shouldnt listen to the nochanges retards imo, and not just on this, i want classes to be balanced aswell.
Why create a worse game then you are able too??!

3 Likes

Yes but it was there, and if they are trying to recreate the same game no changes right?

so the game is different they have removed most the bugs and exploits or you could say clever gamesmanship from classic, so its not the same as 1.12.

Add to that the other changes they have made from a design point of view, some UI changes etc and we have a different beast all together if we are honest.

Layering changes the meta when questing and PvP a hellof a lot more than spell batching does, so if it is making the game unplayable for a large part of the current player base then no reason why it cant be turned down a touch and to be fair the two mages sheeping each other didn’t happen that often as far as I remember.

1 Like

They were recreating the game how it should be played, and personally I think the layering system is a bad one to begin with.

Layering was bound to be exploited by players with no interest in experiencing the real classic experience.

Point is this:

• exploits which were bannable anyway make no sense to recreate.
  • intended gameplay mechanics which have a huge impact on how PvP plays out - regardless how clunky they feel - should still exist.

Just copy pasting a blue bost since there seems to be alot of confusion about what spell batching is, how it works on Classic and how it works on BfA.

Since we first announced World of Warcraft Classic, we’ve seen questions about spell batching. While we never really eliminated spell batching in WoW, we did change how (and how often) we process batches of actions coming from players, so you’re less likely to notice that processing in today’s game. We’ve been working to ensure that in WoW Classic, the gameplay of activating spells and effects will not differ from the experience of playing original WoW.

It was relatively common in the original game to see a warrior Pummel a mage who simultaneously and successfully Polymorphed the warrior. The mage suffered Pummel damage but no spell-school lock, because the mage didn’t get interrupted. This could seem paradoxical, but it could happen because the Pummel and Polymorph were both in the same batch, and were both valid actions at the start of the batch. For the most part, things like that don’t happen in modern WoW, but they still can. We’ve made improvements to batch frequency, and the game is much more responsive than it used to be. Still, if you manage to get both a Pummel and a Polymorph into a tiny processing window in modern WoW, you’ll experience the same behavior as in original WoW.

As with many other areas of WoW Classic, authenticity is our primary concern. It used to be the norm that combat flow and PvP balance were defined and tuned in a game where spell messages were resolved less frequently. There was a single game loop that processed all messages sent and received every server tick. Nowadays, the game processes multiple loops for messages of differing priorities. Spell casts are high priority, and have been for a long time.

For WoW Classic, we’re moving spell casts to a low-priority loop that will cause them to be processed at the frequency that best fits how the game actually played in version 1.12. Two mages will be able to Polymorph each other somewhat reliably, resulting in two sheep nervously pacing around at range. Two warriors will be able to Charge one another, and the end result will be both warriors standing stunned in each other’s original location.

We think it’ll be fun to see those sorts of things happening again.

Source: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/spell-batching-in-classic/137118

Who are ”we”???
i played back then and bs like that made me break my computer equipment in rage.

2 Likes

I assume it’s Blizzard developers and other employees.

There were long threads demanding this type of batching when beta was released and people noticed it worked the same as in BfA.

You always could, you don’t need an addon to read the combat log for you :smiley:

“xxxxx used stealth”

This was one of the sh** storms that classic streamers started during beta. “Classic wow is in danger unless the community make their voices heard guys! Please subscribe and visit my Patreon”.

It sounds good on paper: recreating those silly but fun moments when two mages polly echother and we all get to chuckle at the two sheep bleating at eachother.

In reality it makes the whole game feel clunky and laggy and I can’t imagine trying to present this to someone new to classic wow. “Well you see Billy, back in 2005 servers couldnt handle the load, so they put in a delay. We’ve now recreated this to get that authentic laggy feel. It’s all about authenticity right?”.

3 Likes