Reproducable Crashes

I’ve recently purchased a new laptop, but I can’t really play on it - whenever a boss casts a particularly “big” spell (dancing fools on council, cleanse sin on dany, ordinance on 3rd boss in SoA) my game is crashing, and I need to restart WoW.

I have no issues at all on my old desktop, which is considerably lower spec than my new laptop. Does anyone have any ideas to help me diagnose the issue?

New system info:

• Windows 10 Home
  • 16 GB RAM
  • i9 @ 3.7 GHz
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Cheers
Kulk

Having dug into it a bit more, I’m getting the following system error every time I get the crash:

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

(event ID 4101)

Browsing Google for what to do with this isn’t being particularly useful - I’ve confirmed that I have ASPM off for the PCI Express power management settings, I’ve checked the drivers are up to date, etc.

Looks like it might be the same issue as Event ID 4101 - #2 by Schwayjeck-2512 so I’ve:

• disabled any overlays (I disable these anyway - but I hadn’t noticed Overwolf, which I’ve now disabled)
  • Confirmed that I don’t have any “Graphics accelerator software”
  • Deleted the Blizzard App Cache folder as instructed
  • Disabled all addons
  • Confirmed that it still doesn’t work

For anyone stumbling into this in the future, I’ve got to a point where what did reliably crash my game and throw that error no longer does.

I’ve limited the max foreground framerate to 60, and switched the Graphics API to DX11. I can’t PuG Nathria right now to test, but turning graphics up to 10/10 and spamming the Oribos portal crashed the game every single time earlier, and is now fine. Fingers crossed for raiding tomorrow!

Alas, bad news for my PuG - this didn’t fix it.

Struggling to believe that a computer of this spec can’t run WoW, there has to be something wrong somewhere. If anyone has any ideas for what might be wrong, or tests I could run to get a few more data points, please let me know!

Does GPU drivers crash in other games or just WoW?

You could try some running long GPU benchmarks or stress tests to see if they work or not. There is always chance that the GPU itself is faulty.

I am still getting this error in 2023. Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered. The game hangs for about a min and the comes right, and this only in WOW, GW2 runs so smooth!

1 Like

Looks like I’m getting the same exact error, happened for the first time today. I even made my own thread about it that goes a bit more into detail, but the gist of it is the same: the game freezes and stops responding for several seconds and when it comes back to life, the game reloads all of the assets. Event Viewer reports nvlddmkm error and the Display warning.

Fortunately I’ve only had this happen in Valdrakken so far, but it would suck if it happened in the middle of a dungeon run.

Something’s seriously wrong with Dragonflight’s optimization. Not only does it still run kind of meh even after upgrading to a high-end PC, but stuff like this shouldn’t be happening at all.