Retail wow has spoiled players so much

Funny how tastes can differ. I found Wildstar’s combat to be irritating.

Even though I have nothing against non-cartoony graphics, I admit it took me a while to get used to FFXIV after playing WoW for so long. I played a mmo with a cartoony aesthetic for so many years that it felt alien when I played one that looked more realistic.

That being said for all the realism the graphics of FFXIV has, it can be a very silly game at times. It has content that is intended purely for comedy.

Same,. only liked the art style, never got past level 10.

Oh wow you gave up sooner than I did xD yea I loved how the game looked, but the combat…no.

I know most people won’t like what I’m about to say but there’s some truth in it. While not something specific to Retail as they’re also created for Classic too, I’d say that the advancement of addons makes various aspects of the game trivial which can spoil players by reducing the amount of things that they need to think about in game.

I remember when I first got to max level and I started playing dungeons (WOTLK on a very old character) without any addons, I wasn’t even aware that they existed until a work colleague told me and I then instantly went and installed various addons which trivialized parts of the game. For example, before installing addons I would have to learn encounters/mechanics in dungeons in order to improve, now I have DBM tracking mechanics and throwing alerts at me and I know what I need to do long before its happened so now I can dodge/soak things or time my offensive/defensive abilities appropriately. I feel like its turned into a paradox of gaining more skill by requiring less skill.

1 Like

This is partially why raiding mechanics have become more and more complex as time passed. Having add-ons can really trivialise content.

I can’t remember the name of the boss, but there was one in WoD in which you had to pass an orb around. There was an add-on specifically for that mechanic on that boss and it was stupid how much easier the fight was while using it.

As add-ons became more sophisticated, Blizzard had to answer with even more complex boss mechanics or mechanics that couldn’t be trivialised with add-ons.

And well the so-called Classic experience can also tainted by add-ons. There are some around today players didn’t even dream of back in Vanilla.

1 Like

CLASSIC WOW HAS SPOILED PLAYERS SO MUCH

I mean when I see a raidboss somewhere in retail, it is not an easy task to kill him evn if I am capped level unlike classic lvl 50+ raiders. Amazing how it feels challenging. In opposite on my warrior I just jump in, whipe the floor with ragnaros and wait for the real game “the end game”… wait, that doesnt exist in calssic.

I feel even Dev’s are relaxed with ppl being busy on that long process of raid progressing. Sense people are busy on progressing their character rather than progressing by clearing all raids on day 5.

ups wrong quote

That’s because you go to Outland at lev 60? :thinking: what are you trying to say? In classic you get spell up to 55 and the ‘other’ you get spells up to 55?

https://imgur.com/a/suVXQmC

I mean when i see an elite somewhere in classic ,it is not an easy task to kill him evn if the level difference between us is 5. Amazing how it feels challenging. In opposite on my warrior i just jump in ,whipe the floor with their faces and wait for the real game " the end game".

yikes

Please dont talk about Wildstar Hink

1 Like

We could have lessened the need for such addons if Blizzard did something like enhanced the visual cues within the game. Also less need for addons would have meant less being installed and less potential problems to the performance of the game like you sometimes hear being attributed to addon usage. I’d call it a win/win if Blizzard did more at their end.

I was on a Break during the whole of WoD and more so can’t comment, however the idea of an addon just for 1 mechanic sounds ludicrous to me.

True but they will never remove the possibility that they can be trivialized because the addons for this have existed for a long time and are constantly being developed in both live and PTR realms and beta testing.

Its a shame, some of these addons could remove the authenticity of the gameplay that Classic is replicating but those like myself who never played Vanilla will never fully know this.

/sigh. Yes in classic you get new spells 5 levels before CAP at 60, while in retail the cap is 120, meaning you run around without new spells to learn (minus a talent every 15 levels) for 60 levels.

Call me cynical but I don’t think that would have changed things much. As long as there are people who mess up mechanics, there will always be add-ons developed to lessen the chances of that. People usually take the path of least resistance, and this sometimes means getting add-ons. Especially in an often competitive environment like raiding in which using an add-on could mean killing the boss sooner.

A Guild ‘Finished’ the content within 5 days. I’m sorry. But that is not a game that sounds like I want to engage in massively. I’d rather go back to Retail where it takes a rather more decent amount of time… But this is my point. Only thing that will kill WoW, is Wow,and the thing that will kill Classic, is Classic, which is kinda happening…

You do realise that the content isn’t even new, right? All the trial and error in figuring out the most optimal way to do it has been figured out 15 years ago. On top of that some Classic players made a hobby out of speed running Vanilla raids on private servers for years on end. Classic’s release for them was just another speedrun session and nothing more.

Sure the raid content is far easier than Retail’s because the game is from when WoW was in its infancy, but a lot of people tend to forget that the content is exceptionally old and it has already been done to death since long before Classic was even released.

There would be something incredibly wrong and strange if it wasn’t cleared within the first week, when you have grizzled veterans, who can recite the entire 1 - 60 content in their sleep, playing the game.

The spoiling isn’t bad, in fact WoW understands that it got so popular by providing quality-of-life that other MMOs lacked to become so big.

The issue is like a complete amateur, they forgot that to make a social mmo successful, you add more ways for players to become social I’d put that on font size 200 if I could.

Tell me, when’s the last time they updated chat?
Enticed a lobby in a new area for players to get to know each other?
Make a way for people to add friends after dungeons?

That last one is specially glitched.

Classic is not so much the content and more towards the social interaction it creates by sheer mistake.

Oh trust me, when original WoW was thought up, they weren’t thinking “this hard quest will make players talk to each other to overcome it” and more “it’s just a hard quest”

Either way neither of us know because development of the game could have taken a different turn if these addons weren’t so prevalent over the years.

The idea that an addon is required to down a boss quicker really should be telling you something about the state of the game. Its actually showing that players are using a constant drip-feed of information to overcome content rather than learning it in a more authentic way by trial and error.

Personally I like the idea of mechanics being more meaningful and there being a chance of failure, it adds a complexity to the game that has been reduced by these addons. More unique animations and audio/voice acting that people can learn could be a solution to this particular scenario, even with saying this there are some parts of the game/dungeons/raids that already incorporate this to a decent standard but its often overshadowed by alerts from addons.

Considering that some of these hard quests require you to kill elites, and some are impossible to solo if you do them at the appropriate lvl…you might be wrong.

Of course the “social” part just flies over people’s heads no matter how many times I recite it and how it made people talk to each other to overcome the obstacles.

“just a hard quest” is all they see.

For me personally there are some hard aspects of retail WOW, just as there are some in classic WOW.

The main difference with retail WOW is that we have more addons to make the experience easier than we had in classic.