Rogues and locked chests

It would be so hard to find another rogue!

1 Like

It would be so hard to find another group that doesn’t have an entitled communist attitude to things they couldn’t even access without the rogue!

If you can get the the locked chest without the group, go for it. Otherwise you need the group as well

Just in case you are wondering we al agree with you, i would totally refuse to continue with such rogue.

Its just many haven nothing else to add to the discussion.

Their excuses got even worse in last replies.

1 Like

Again,
Mage lock warrior shammy etc anything can replace you, you are not a special snowflake.

Would be hard for a shammy to replace me :grin:

Sure, if they can solo.

So you would willingly screw over 3 other people just to make a statement? You can finish the dungeon and add that Rogue to your blacklist.

1 Like

I would say like many other have, that the rogue cannot reach the chest by himself, reaching the chest is a team effort thus everyone deserves to roll on the chest.

This was never an issue back in the day, I cannot recall there being any argument as to who has a right and so on.

I usually lead the groups I head into the dungeons with and I would not accept that kind of selfish attitude from any party member so they would probably not last long in the group.

That being said, I never win any rolls but still enforce the rules because it is the right thing to do.

1 Like

But then I’ll take more repair cost, and if that’s part of being a tank then the person that gets extra money from taking all the locked chests should pay for it :slight_smile:

Now I’ve never encountered a rogue who does this, but those are my rules for if I ever do

Exactly this. The group is not a mob clearing squad with a purpose to provide the rogue with free loot. Everything inside the instance is a property of the group entering it and that also applies to locked chests.

If the rogue feels entitled to have every chest inside, feel free to enter solo and it’s all yours.

1 Like

It took the entire group to reach that chest and as such it should be /roll’ed for.

If you argue that you had to level your skill in lockpicking up and as such you deserve the content of the chest:

1. You did not reach the Chest on your own and you would probably die trying to do it on your own.
  2. Lockpicking is what you, as a Rogue, bring to the dungeon group and if you refuse to do your part then you are basically just a normal DD which brings nothing unique to the table and with that kind of mindset you will land on plenty blacklists.

Two times those kinds of Rogues were kicked and one time it was ignored, mostly because almost everyone missed it until the end. Is it really worth it being selfish in the long run? I don’t think so.

It is so funny seeing all of the rogues stating how difficult and time consuming it is to level lockpicking. Really !!! I don’t remember it being difficult at all when I levelled my rogue in Vanilla. In fact it is easy. There are chests everywhere in the world.

We never had any of these issues in Vanilla, TBC, WoTLK. These issues only came in from Cata onwards. The “I am entitled to it” attitude that started killing the game. Its pathetic.

Every class in the game has it’s pro’s and con’s. Every class has it’s utilities. We all have a burden to bear when it comes to time/effort/costs. However you don’t hear of mages charging for food, priests demanding you pay for their reagents so they can buff you or warlocks insisting that they get all the cloth drops because they can summon people.

Stop being selfish pricks and realise that doing dungeons is a GROUP effort. We have all worked to get to bosses and chests. We have all put the effort in. If you rogues can stealth dungeons to farm chests, good for you. Go for it, I am happy for you. However when you are in a group it then becomes a group item to /roll on. All of the pathetic arguments from the rogues has just made me not want to have one in the group.

It is a sad world full of self entitled pricks now. So sad.

2 Likes

Yeah, and skeleton keys and blasting charges cost money. What’s your point?

You invest time so you can pick locks. Smiths and engineers invest money so they can do it, too.

Again, and again, and again - IF IT WAS NOT FOR THE GROUP, YOU NEVER WOULD HAVE REACHED THE CHEST.

IT IS NOT YOURS.
IS
NOT
YOURS.

Brand it on your butt or have someone beat it into your head until you understand it. Locked chests are NOT yours. Having leveled lockpicking does not give you priority over locked chests. They never were, they never will be. If you try to ninja a locked chest in a dungeon, 99% of the players will straight out kick you.

2 Likes
  1. It is NOT hard or expensive, or even very time consuming to level lockpicking. My vanilla 60 rogue was maxed out with low effort, and this one on classic is going just as easy
  2. Leveling lockpicking is profitable. It does not cost any money to raise, and all the boxes you open give extra income
  3. Lockpicking is not a profession. Comparing it to rolling on herbs or nodes is a non issue. If you are a skinner (many rogues are) you are not asked to let others roll on all the skins taken from all mobs downed either right?
  4. Lockpicking is a utility a rogue adds to a group. It does not cost him money or bagspace or anything. Unlike mage portals requires gold to learn cities, 30 silver per portal for a rune. Or unlike Summoning requiring Warlocks to permenantly sacrifice backspace and filling soulstones. Or tanks, that get all the beating and have heavy armor with big repair bills each run. Do they charge money for that when they use these utilities in the group?

There are no rules for it but common sense and decency. If you want to be greedy and entitled, that’s up to you. If you want to be helpful and do your part for the team, also up to you.

3 Likes

There’s personal advantages to every other class, though. Perhaps except Warlocks.

Warlocks can summon, helping them get a dungeon cleared faster.
Mages can travel across the world in seconds, and not having to fly or get boats, saving them tons of time.
Tanks have big repair bills but can type in LFG and get about 30 whispers in 0.5 seconds and will be the gearing priority in any raid.

For the record, mostly I roll the chests if the group seems like decent folk. However, I don’t think people should just expect a rogue to share it. And yes, without the other people the rogue wouldn’t be there but that argument can be made with anything. Cloth drop off boss. “WELL IM A PRIEST AND I HEALED SO WITHOUT ME YOU WOULDN’T BE HERE, MAGE SO I SHOULD GET IT!”

My conclusion after all this circular discussion repeating the same arguments over and over is just some players are desperately broke :confused:

Exactly!

They do not say that.

So why would a rogue say “Hey without me you would not have the chest, its mine!!!”?

1 Like

Yeah, I fully disagree.

You don’t. Everyone is entitled to the loot in the chest, because everyone put in effort to get it. You all cleared the trash guarding it - you all are entitled to it. Doesn’t matter if it’s locked or not.

If anything, if I have a rogue in my group with this kind of attitude, I will simply skip the pack guarding such a chest. I’m under no obligation to take them on, after all. If rogues can be selfish, so can I.

I’ll argue that it is not your right as a rogue. It’s hardly my lifework.

Guess what? So do as I as a tank - it’s called leveling.

So do healers.

So does literally everyone. Stop acting like you’re special and putting in more effort to keep your skills up to date compared to other people.

You don’t have to.

Your ability to lockpick is simply one of the few tools you potentially bring to a dungeon group. Without the group, you wouldn’t be able to get to those locked chests. It’s a cooperative adventure, and you are no more entitled to a chest, locked or not, than anyone else.

That said, I personally don’t understand why people bother to roll on the chest itself. Roll for the contents, I would say. Usually when I loot a chest I distribute the junk to whomever can use it, and let people roll on the green.

You are in a group - everybody contributes - without the group it’s unlikely you’d be in a position to open the chest

You should all roll for the contents