Rogues and locked chests

So, I am a rogue in classic and during dungeon runs, I sometimes run into locked chests, now here is where the controversy begins. from the research, I have done and to my own logic, Rogues have priority for locked chests along with blacksmiths.
Yet I run into these, albeit rare people who seem to make it their lifework to argue that it is not my right as a rogue(or blacksmith(even though they somehow mostly get a pass from this conversation)).

From my own perspective, I have to go through tasks that make me question my sanity at times to level my lockpicking. I may not have a mat cost to open the locked chest, but I have to go through a lot of bullcrap to level what is technically a profession of its own.

So here is where you guys come into the picture, i want your honest opinions.

-And on a side note, how do i change my character on the forums to be my classic character? it doesnā€™t pop up when i try to change character on the forums.

8 Likes

It all depends on people, but in general, if only rogue can open it, rogue should open it and have it, same as gear, if only war fan wear plate, why would some1 else argue that he wants itemā€¦

To other question, relog on forum, it should appear after

9 Likes

I recall that we used to /roll for locked chests in dungeon runs.

27 Likes

Well it comes down to group in question what the consensus is tbh. My opinion would be to roll for it.

10 Likes

I just get everyone to roll for the chest as normal. IMO I donā€™t have priority for it just because I can open it.

34 Likes

By that logic only people with the Zul Farrak Mallet who are thereby able to summon Gazrilla are entitled to the loot. :wink:

52 Likes

I have run into a few groups that insisted that the chest is mine. Wouldnā€™t take no for an answer and didnā€™t even want to roll for it.

2 Likes

I guess it comes down to the culture people had when they played classic. I donā€™t remember anyone back then paying for mage portals (not more than the value of the rune anyway) for example. And now people play with other people from different cultures together. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

When I go to dungeons I always clarify that If i open a locked chest it is mine to claim.

1 Like

Hmmā€¦ I think itā€™s a grey area, really. Personally, I would rather tell people to /roll for it than be seen as a greedy bastard, but each to their own.

There are tons of grey areas in Classicā€¦ like would you, as a rogue, ever roll need on a bow/gun when thereā€™s a hunter in the group that needs it?
If the answer is yes, youā€™re definitely voting ā€˜NOā€™ to class privilege in generalā€¦ including your own right to locked boxesā€¦ by my logic, anyway :wink:

3 Likes

i just /roll for it with the groupā€¦ its the lvl in lockpicking i wantā€¦. really dont care about a green item and some mana pods lol

9 Likes

Iā€™d like to end the discussion with my own conclusion, and bring up a point i havenā€™t heard before, that somehow didnā€™t even cross my mind.

i have changed my mind about being ā€œentitledā€ to the locked chest. and for the simple reason that people might choose to get the rogue over any other class, just to unlock chests.

I think i had built up a very stingy attitude in classic to be able to get my mount at 40, and lost a little track.

9 Likes

Itā€™s a cultural thing. It increases rogue utility as everyone on average gets more loot if you roll on chests (as more chests are accessible). If the consensus is that rogues always get locked loot, there is no benefit to me directly to do prefer it over something else (assuming equal damage, which is a dumb assumption lol but you see my point)

2 Likes

Rogue should not have any priority. Chest should be rolled and rogue should open the chest. Lockpicking is a class utility, like mageā€™s water or warlockā€™s summon. Youā€™re not supposed to ask some kind of extra privilege for using your class utilities.

I, personally, wouldnā€™t mind if rogue before dungeon start declared that heā€™s going to get all chests, heā€™ll roll every boe item which needed by someone and everyone in the party is OK with those terms. Itā€™s not worth to squabble because of that. Though Iā€™m likely to avoid that rogue in the future. But by default, without special agreements, all chests are supposed to be rolled by everyone.

14 Likes

I think the group should decide how to deal with it.
With the logic that only rogues can open chests, heals shouldnā€™t be for anyone else if priest is the only one who can heal or something.
Itā€™s a group effort. Everyone is pitching in to it, without the tank tanking and healer healing, the rogue might not be able to open those chests. So I donā€™t think rogue should be the one who gets it all.

9 Likes

if ur concerned about having enough money for ur mount a decent way to make some extra gold while lvling is to make a macro for what ever ability u open with in stealth and then put pick pocket in front of itā€¦ so u will pickpocket mob first and then cheapshot itā€¦ sometimes it bug though for some reason but usually it works :slight_smile: i think maybe u need auto loot on havent actually tested it without

As a rogue myself in Classic, I usually open the chest, claim what I need and if I donā€™t need it for myself (unless itā€™s some rare drop), Iā€™ll offer it up for grabs to the group. And no one who will sway me from that mindset. Iā€™m the rogue and without me they couldnā€™t get it at all. :smiley:

3 Likes

Locked chest goes to rogue since he used his ability to unlock. if more than 1 rogue, they roll between them. and if youā€™re with a??holes, take every chests.

3 Likes

It is ok I can leave the chest locked too. So no one gets it.

5 Likes

In every dungeon Iā€™ve done in classic weā€™ve always just rolled for it and rogue unlocked it for whoever won. Maybe iā€™ve just bumped into a couple dozen nice rogues, but I feel like everyone /rolling seems to be norm

5 Likes