Rogues and locked chests

Now imagine bumping into a rogue which will get all “his” chests. Not a big deal, but who you will invite into future runs?

2 Likes

Rogue or BS with key can roll off against each other, no one else in entitled, they cant even open it.

3 Likes

rogue should have it

5 Likes

It seems consensus is that everyone rolls for it and rogue opens it.

If all rogues started claiming all the locked chests, I believe fewer rogues would get a spot in dungeon runs just because it is a selfish act in something that is a group effort.

It’s like saying that if you are the only one with UBRS key, you should have priority over loot.

Like, if it weren’t for the rest of the group, the rogue would never had any access to the chest anyway, how is this logic something they never think about?

8 Likes

I just open it and if there’s something I want in there I keep it. If the group wants to kick me over it so be it, idgaf

Otherwise I usually ask “anyone need any of this gear?”

1 Like

Rogues are welcome, because of their toolkit, including lockpicking. I, personally, don’t care about DPS. There are no DPS checks and I don’t care if I would complete a dungeon 5 seconds faster. If some rogue wants to reduce his toolkit by not offering lockpicking to the group, I would rather invite some retri paladin, because he can actually help the group with his support abilities.

6 Likes

Rogue can tell, that he didn’t have high skill to open it. And just to open all the chests after party leaves.

4 Likes

It’s all about flavour.

In traditional table top RPG’s you have minor roles besides the “doing damage” “Healing” “Tanking” Clergy types are there to cleanse things. The Wizard archetypes are there to identify stuff. There’s trap detection etc.

Anyway, as a Rogue, part of your duty is to open locks. Like it is part of a Mage’s duty to provide those in need with drinks. Or Warlocks to provide health stones/Soulstones.

So when you get together (And there’s a reason they used the innkeeper for it back in the day) you decide what dungeon, which none can tackle alone. You delve into a place, and share the loot equally, in WoW it’s done via /roll and need/greed.

So yes, in short, open the locked chests :slight_smile:

5 Likes

You would never have even been in a position to open the chest alone, in the first place. Therefore, you have no priority over anyone else.

1 Like

I have my own rules for locked chests in dungeons.

If there’s something in the chest that someone will use, then they can have the item or if multiple people need it then they roll for it. In terms of an item.

The rest of it is mine. Also if there’s a BoE, it’s also mine. Don’t like it? Open it yourself. This is why I go through the mind numbing boring process of leveling lockpicking.

If there’s someone with skelly keys or seaforium charges, we’d roll amongst ourselves.

3 Likes

In Vanilla the whole group rolled on it. At least in all groups I played with. And this was never questioned. Most of the time, when there was a rogue in the group, he opened the chest for the winner. At least, this is how I handled it and will be handling it again when I am playing my rogue alts.

3 Likes

Everything in locked chests belong to the rogue except for blue or epic items, those are rolled for within the group.

Without them, you wouldn’t be there. Just like without you, they couldn’t open it. Don’t be a douce.

I always /roll, because that’s how I roll.

If I win I give away the stuff others may want anyway (potions, BoEs, ore I won’t bother to auction). Most people I’ve seen do the same unless they’re really really broke past 40 and still need money for the mount (which I understand).

1 Like

As a rogue you cant benefit group with buffs, auras, food, totems etc.

So I would argue its better to be not selfish and contribute to the group atleast by lockpicking.

7 Likes

I don´t agree. Rogues can pick lock which is one of the few reasons they are taken to dungeons. It´s how they help their group. I think you should roll on items in the chest. You get the skill point. It´s a win win for everyone! If you don´t agree, then I think I as a mage will start charging people for buffs and conjured food. Also, I usually top dmg meter. Without my damage the boss would not die that quickly so I believe I should always get the loot. And where would be the group without my poly? I should get the loot from polymorphed mobs because it´s just me who can poly. Actually… with your attitude you should be glad people are taking you to dungeons. It looks there is absolutely no reason not to take mage instead of you.

1 Like

It depends on the rogue. I was in an SM run with 3 other warriors 2 of which had ravager and all of them pulling pretty much their weight and tbh I felt a bit carried so I let people roll.

At the end of the day, it’s up to the rogue or blacksmith internally. It will stay locked if you don’t open it. Use the atmosphere of the dungeon group. Who do you reward, good people or bad?

2 Likes

That is the base argument for me as well: Lockpicking is a trade profession only rogues can access. They do need to spend time and effort to become proficient in it, and just like all other craftsmen, nobody is entitled to that service.

Compare and contrast having an enchanter in your group: Is he or she required to disenchant anything you shove into the trade window? Nope. You ask nicely, and in 99% of cases, he’ll or she’ll allow it.

Same with lockpicking: I usually keep my skill up-to-date with my level, and that takes actual time and effort. Nevertheless, I am aiming to be a cooperative player, and if someone asks if I can open a lock, I will. That is, unless that person already showed that they’re not cooperatively minded before, or if they’re overly rude in asking (I’ve had lockboxes shoved in my face when browsing the AH, with an “open” whispered a few seconds after - no “Hi”, no “would you mind”, no manners at all).

So if there’s a locked chest in a dungeon, I usually offer to open it, but I may also be asking to get first pick in case something I can use on that rogue is inside (like a dagger upgrade). If there isn’t, it gets treated like ordinary group loot. Reason being, as said: I put time and effort into that skill, I will let others profit from it since we’re a team, but my own need takes precedence in case there is something inside that lock that does improve my character more than others in the party.

2 Likes

I always unlock such chests for party. Just because I most times met good teams in dungeons, I wanna pay to them by same coin.
If I wanna farm chests - I can do it solo.

2 Likes

You had to research common sense?

If i heal for you, shouldn’t i get atleast 1 guaranteed loot since i spent so long time leveling as a healer & spent alot of money for healing spells?

Shouldn’t i get more paid since i reforged 3 times just to be a good enough tank for your bloody cleave groups? ( I literally did this, 16 gold please )

Looking forward to getting the UBRS key so I can have all the loot that drops there.

1 Like