Rogues and locked chests

oh come on guys, really. You (and me too, since i play rogue), bring your class and your extra utility into the group. It is pettily to think that if you can open it - it should be only yours what are you even talking about. I bet you even charging for opening lockboxes uh? This is basically charging money for casting free spells!

4 Likes

We rolled back in the days.

Locksmith who used a key to open got to decide if they wanted it or let group group roll however.

Pretty much the only purpose to pick a rogue over a mage really, or any other class for that matter :slight_smile:

so if a mage does double of a rogue dps it’s only fair that he rolls twice while rogue passes on half of the loot cos you know mage actually killed more stuff.

And healer should not heal dps but only tank because dps taking dmg is avoidable.

If a group wipes and shammy uses ankh, rest should run instead or contribute to shaman reagent cost.

Warlocks should SS only themselves cos fk the healer.

also rogues should use poison when there is WF totem cos maybe shaman doesnt want them to have it so its only fair that they dont use it without permission.

etc etc

3 Likes

I generally open them for free, but most people insist on tipping anyhow - because they realize that LP is a trade skill that doesn’t just magically get maxed to 300. Just like they’re tipping an enchanter because they realize he spent time and effort to level his skill enough to do their enchant.

Some of the arguments in here are really stupid.

“ThEn WhY wOuLd A hEaLeR hEaL yOu!?!!?”

Because they’re a healer. The same reason I, as a rogue, do damage and sap, blind, stunlock mobs if required. You don’t need to spend time going out your way to learn how to heal. You don’t need to sit in the Wetlands or Durnholde Keep or Tyr’s Hand healing things over and over and over again to level up your healing skills.

I’m also a herbalist and alchemist. You don’t expect me to furnish you with potions for free, do you? It’s taken my time to collect the materials for the potions. You’d fully expect to pay for them. I level my lockpicking, just like I level my other professions. It doesn’t just magically level with you like it does in retail.

If you ask me, I’ll open your lockboxes for you for free. I’ll pick the door for you at Strat/Scholo when it’s high enough.

2 Likes

Because people invite you to their group for your benefits as a rogue and not your professions. Rogues don’t bring a lot of utility to groups besides their damage already. Someone would expect people to be happy to be a bit more useful to a group.

4 Likes

When I join groups it’s mostly from “LF DPS for xx” ads. Not “LF Someone to pick locks”.

Also, mostly at endgame, rogues pull a ton of DPS and hang around the top of the meters on single target.

1 Like

lockpicking works like a profession, it is not tho. Its not like alchemy or any other, its a class perk.

Like summoning, healthstone, mage food, portals, buff’s, ankh, soulstone etc.

You dont even have a buff, your a dps just like fury warriors mages warlocks hunters and other dpses.

Lockpicking while in party/dungeon is the least you can do.

5 Likes

I don’t think this really is the case. People tip you because you went out of your way to open lockboxes in, most of the times, a city. It takes time for you to do so and you get tipped for offering a friendly service. It’s the same with people asking for mage portals (ignoring time spent leveling lockpicking and mage reagent costs here).
Mages in a group generally make portals for free. When they are in a city, however, they ask for fees.

2 Likes

Yes lockpicking does work like a profession. As in, we need to go out of our way to level it.

Literally everything you mentioned; Summoning, healthstones, food, portals and buffs are taught by a trainer. There is no effort in doing any of these other than visiting a trainer and using the associated reagants. I wouldn’t expect a mage to make me a portal for free either. I’d either provide a reagant and tip or provide a tip over the cost of the reagant at the very least.

2 Likes

And yet that’s the same thing a mage does. Only that they bring water, food, portals and a more reliable CC. You don’t feel like you should offer your group advantages in some additional way?

I understand you put effort in the profession.
But if you ever run UBRS, will you also pass away loot to those that went trough the (massive effort) of obtaining the key and opening the door for you.

My take on it is it’s a group effort, when I run a dungeon I walk in with the mindset that nothing is “reserved” to me, no matter what I bring to the group.

But everybody can decide that for themselves, just be clear about it upfront.

1 Like

Well in my opinion there is not much to discuss. Use your common sense and have some decency.

I think this is key here. If people invite a rogue they may be doing so for the possibility of opening locked chests for the group. If that’s not how a rogue is planning to handle locked chests, however, he should be upfront about it so groups can look for a replacement if they disagree.

2 Likes

Rogues have plenty of utility. Stuns, saps, blinds, picking doors, being able to pull that massive DPS and dumping threat at an instant.

Nope that’s comparing apples and oranges. If I take a group to strat UD or lets say Scholo and none have the key to the city/Skeleton key and I pick it, I wouldn’t expect to be able to reserve all loot.

so the problem is “effort” well thats part of the class fantasy, thats what you signed for.

The opposite is true for warlocks, a Warlock gets their mount free at 40 while rest need to buy, i dont see many people talking about effort in buying a mount.

Hunter and warlock sacrifice a bag for arrows/soulshards, mages and druids and shamans need to “buy” their stuff, rogues level a profession, which is also 1 time only investment.

If a mage in PARTY DUNGEON asks for tips for food water portals at the end, he is as bad as you are.

Making portals in cities and giving out food like UNLOCKING lockboxes, is another thing. THAT is DIFFERENT.

edit : also rogues are by no means this kings of dps you make them out to be warriors, mages warlocks are easily better on ST.

2 Likes

Just to start – I am a Rogue.

You are running a dungeon to get exp or specific items, this silly argument that you should start “charging for heals” is pathetic. You did not go to the dungeon to get locked chests (assuming you are not a BS or engineer). I would consider it a perk of being a Rogue, I have spent hours levelling lockpicking and if there is a BS or engineer that can open the locked chest then good on them for putting the effort in and I will HAPPILY roll with them. You want a chance at them locked chests so bad? Go level a profession that can open them, put the time and effort into levelling them like I have put into my lockpicking.

That said, if I see a group advertised for a dungeon that I want and it specifically states that locked chests will be rolled I will not hesitate to join that group and roll for the chests. I don’t join dungeon evilly laughing to myself thinking about how screwed all these guys are if a locked chest comes up, it is literally a “oh cool” moment when we come across one.

Finally I believe lock boxes should be greed by all.

2 Likes

So let me ask you something. If a Blacksmith has an Arcanite key with him at a 60 dungeon. Would you expect him to /roll with the group for the chest?

You invite people for their classes, not their professions. And that blacksmith spent his own materials and gold to craft that key. If there is no one that can open it besides him, it is obviously his chest and I’d imagine it’s hard to find a lot of people who think otherwise.

3 Likes