Roleplay servers are still sharded

Sharding was enabled for the “heartstone event”.

But now that the event is over, sharding is supposed to be turned off in Stormwind and Orgrimmar on roleplay realms, as stated here: https://twitter.com/WarcraftDevs/status/1022566187266232320

Sharding prevents people from seeing each other, which means that roleplay cannot happen.

So, is there any ETA on when sharding will be disabled in Stormwind and Orgrimmar?

3 Likes

This happens literally every time. Impossible to find RP when there’s no one in the same shard. :slightly_frowning_face:

@Blizzard turn off the sharding on Argent Dawn.

2 Likes

Hello Blizzard, why is it still on 2 days after the event?

2 Likes

Hello? Time to turn it off?

3 Likes

It’s not just RP servers, there’s a lot of interesting complaints how it puts you into an empty shard during combat or mid progress while participating in world events.

At best you fall victim of progress reset and waste 10 minutes, but it is much worse when you are working to deliver 20 keys in the black dragon questing hub in order to trigger some rare spawns, something which has now been made interesting again with the addition of new meta achievement.

Monday will be such an exciting day for CS.

1 Like

Yes please. We can hardly interact with anyone in Stormwind because of this.

This is good news for all the bots in Zaralek. They can continue farming in peace without fear of getting reported now that everyone gets put into their own separate shard.

Sharding is one of the worst things that has happened to wow and it would be nice if they disabled it on all servers

I guess you enjoyed Mists of Pandaria launch and the first few quests:

1 Like

That didn’t happen to me, but even so, excluding the launch of an expansion, which is when there are “problems” it usually lasts a few hours or 1 day at most. What sharding does is take life away from the world, creating many semi-empty shardings and giving the feeling that you are alone, and it goes very against what an mmo would be. If they are not going to remove the fragmentation, they should use the layer system that they use in the classics, which are much larger rooms.

Sharding on roleplaying servers completely takes away our ability to roleplay since we can’t see most of the people around us, and it was only enabled for the Hearthstone event.
Event is over, time to disable Sharding so Roleplaying Servers actually work.

1 Like

It’s getting disabled with the next reset:

3 Likes

Hi all,

Thanks for bringing this up!

This change actually requires realm restarts, and is planned for this week’s regular maintenance.

3 Likes

Just so you know, we want sharding to be removed entirely from Stormwind and Orgrimmar.

Not reduced, removed entirely.

Well, the weekly maintenance has happened and sharding still seems to be enabled on EU Argent Dawn. Is this going to be fixed soon?

Looks like there were some delays on this one, and a hotfix is in the works. Apologies for the delay.

As always, please make sure that you follow the Code of conduct when posting on the forums. While we understand that some issues may be frustrating, we still ask that you follow the rules. Thank you.

5 Likes

It really doesn’t make sense how it is was turned on so fast just like flicking a switch but turning it off is taking so long. Yes I’m annoyed because i have lost almost a months of sub time when i just came back to the game again. It is like you guys forgot that we pay for this.

1 Like

Do we have an ETA when its due to go live again? checked twitter etc I haven’t seen anything to suggest said hotfix is out yet, or atleast it looks like its not live.

Also just a query, if this kind of change requires a realm restart — maybe I’m asking the wrong people but, to my memory. The HS event started on a monday so did you enable sharding in readiness for monday or is that something you can just flip on but not off or yeah how does that side of things work? :eyes:

Just curious and eager to learn the ins and outs really of how this company I funnel my sheckles to works

Just flip the switch.