(RP-PVP campaign) Silverpine Offensive 27.03. SIGNUPS CLOSED!

Ah, we are at cross purposes then, I wasn’t referring to Stalin. Stalin, whilst a questionable figure in many ways, was actually fairly courageous himself, or at least, he put his money where his mouth was, for example refusing to intercede on his son’s behalf when they became a POW, a very, very complex character indeed, was mister Dzugashvili

Well, fair enough. That’s not what I actually did, nor is it the source I took that from. I may have rounded the figure up, I can’t remember exactly, but it was top end 6,000’s. I am well aware of who Simon Sebag Montefiore is, and own several of his books, I find he is a very reliable source, chap does his homework, and he has a writing style that is not too dry, but makes historical events seem to have a sense of immediacy.

Well, that is hardly surprising now is it? I mean if you read a history book written by an English person about Oliver Cromwell, you are likely to get a very different perspective, than one written by an Irish person. (And rightly so, the man was a monster to the Irish, an absolute disgrace to his country) I don’t quite see why you would regard Russian Wiki as more factual than English Wiki? Personally I find Wikipedia to be a pretty unreliable source for anything, as it can be edited by pretty much anyone, and as such I take what it states with a pinch of salt.

Though to be fair, I don’t really know why we are arguing about Blokhin, when the point I was making was the fact that taking prisoners is a thing, (I mean you mentioned Stalin, his own son was taken prisoner), and that armies do hold parleys. That’s how the fighting stops. Not when you kill every last person, but when one side goes “Yep, that’s enough, we give in” Or just physically retreats. I think we’re essentially making the same point, just from different angles. People who kill POW’s or just Prisoners in general, tend to get remembered for those deeds, not anything else. They are the exception, not the rule. I’m frankly not in the mood for an argument, especially one that has gone off on a bit of a tangent.
Blokhin was one example. One. Out of all the examples from our worlds history, where Prisoners were taken, and Parley’s were held, given what we see of Azeroth’s Wars, also, given the very -existence- of the Horde, which twice over would have been destroyed were that not a thing, I think it is fairly safe to say that just slaughtering prisoners is not common practice, or at best is done by rogue elements of the armed forces.

Either way, lets not talk about Blokhin, we’re on about Prisoners in Campaigns here… Or, that’s what the conversation seems to have mutated into…

Oh now you go too far Sir, to quote the esteemed Professor Elemental, “If you’re tired of Tea, then you’re Tired of Life!”

Me and Aeilmar being history nerds is all, we went off on a jag about a bad dude and it got a bit off topic,

You’re not very good at this trolling business are you? No Horde Roleplay? I’ll be sure to tell my Guild that, and all the guilds we interact with “Sorry, some random Night Elf Alt who no one knows of or has interacted with, has decided, on our behalf, that there is no Horde Roleplay, we must all cease and desist. They’re clearly right, they have spoopy Black Eyes, Are they constantly in Darkshore I wonder? Are they even a Roleplayer, I wonder…Or are they in fact, just stirring up trouble for the fun of it?”

-Think- you’ll find both sides do that. I personally hate memes, and yet there is this weird thing, you keep saying that Horde doesn’t exist, despite the quite obvious evidence to the contrary, so…if that is true, Let us entertain the possibility that it is, then what are you doing? Who are you addressing? Is this basically an angry drunk shouting into an empty bin? There is either no Horde RP or there is Horde RP that you are ranting against, Can you please make up your mind, I feel like Shroedinger’s Horde here…

That thing that has to descend to do anything more than tickle a Kobold. Sure, I have two words for you. “Mana Bomb” There’s a reason the LFD don’t use the Vindicaar in such a way, and that is because they are -smart-.

Thankfully, no one has to. You give a perfect example of how to not make friends and alienate people. I suppose it is a valuable service you fulfil. Must be a fairly bitter life, but hey ho, each to their own.

9 Likes

I agree - it requires a lot of good will from people. I might be a bit too optimistic but I believe it is worth a try to write DM rules for campaigns.

As for ignoring traps - this is why I point out the need for Dungeon Master on such campaign. A person that would observe from above and keep the story moving on.

Also both sides could place traps around specific part of the zone - all you have to do is to get your enemy there. This thing would need to be planned behind the scenes between guild masters and the DM. Here we go to another thing - DM needs to be strong, neutral and trustworthy person.

Dude why do people want this thread locked?

Honestly the discussion in this thread is pretty important+crucial to make people kinda duke out what they feel is ruining the mood of campaigns recently. So far it hasn’t really gone bad in the thread and it’s primarily used for pretty sick discussions about what needs to be done to handle those issues etc etc

1 Like

Then make a thread dedicated to improving campaigns, I was referring to the random discussion on Stalin and history, not the improvements to Campaigns in the future.

It’s fine dude like this thread naturally became the suggestions thread.

The stalin and history part is pretty alright, too…but less related

1 Like

This thread is like a stew, there is a bit of everything in here but it is not focused at all. Now I say I was looking to create a campaign in the future I would prefer a focused, easy to follow thread with a ton of helpful Do’s and Don’t rather then following this thread reading about how Narrative and Enforcing rules is more important than to criticism of this campaign then going to Cromwell and Stalin before going back to Campaign criticism.

I’m sorry but moments ago you said that

If you don’t like it here, you’re free to simply not read the posts or report it to Blizzard.

3 Likes

Put that assumption back where you got it, I am just saying if folk want a suggestion thread for Campaigns in the future than make a thread for it, just makes more sense no? Rather than bury them in this rollercoaster of a thread and expect people to dig them out when needed.

Honestly? There were tons of such threads made, you can easily type that into the search of new and old forums and these threads will pop up faster than Aerilen to the mentioning of a Trident programme

1 Like

Then it proves one of two things. Either potential Campaign Organisers can’t be bothered to go searching for those threads to learn from the mistakes of the past or that they believe they can get it right where nobody else has before and does their own thing. End result is the same, Public Campaigns get tarnished which results in certain guilds not bothering to turn up and wait gleefully for the inevitable drama to follow.

EDIT: I should say that there are those who have hosted successful Drama free campaigns in the past, one I have experienced personally was the Crimson Compass Campaign. Original message seemed to suggest that Public Campaigns are all failures, this is not true

For Ábél’s sake:

1 Like

Fixed it for you :slight_smile:

https://gyazo.com/08c023196cc7072ca5031a981eadc8a2

6 Likes

ome individuals and to an extent guilds on Alliance side seem to value winning battles and the campaign overall over actually doing RP.

There’s -alot- of alliance guilds that are not like this. Just play with them and avoid the toxic ones.

1 Like

I agree, there are too many players on Horde to accurately represent the canon.

While I did not take part of this campaign and cannot speak for the extent of problems encountered here, I find it quite hilarious Horde posters are talking about biased fights and Alliance being all about winning.

This competitive mindset began in WoD, or maybe even before WoD - I simply started taking part of the campaigns in WoD. It’s often been the other way around - Horde players try to cheese the campaign mechanics, either by cloak of shadowing the entire raid into the control point 5 minutes before cap ends and wipes the Alliance raid because they were in the middle of RP, or some other cheap tactics.

But while that sorta left a sour taste in the mouth, looking back on it, that was hilarious. And for those campaigns, once the Horde did it, so started Alliance doing it. I guess it really doesn’t matter in the end - saying that only the opposing faction is breaking rules/cheating the system or w/e and pretending that your own side is angelic, is pretty dumb. Both sides are at fault.

A bigger problem IMO is the not-showing-up part. I’d be scared of starting anything dependent on people turning up for balance, after seeing how guilds simply lie about their numbers. It feels like instead of 6 people able to come, they write 5-10. Someone earlier said quite perfectly how it’s some weird competition or a way for guilds to show off as well - but in the end, you’re just making a fool out of yourselves when other people learn the guild’s dishonest.

Just write an accurate number, not a vague estimate. Sign-ups are not the time to round your numbers up for easier addition or w/e.

4 Likes

I think that’s a both sides thing, and stupidly, it doesn’t have to be, the end of this Campaign was essentially a land based Dunkirk, and it felt like one, desperate, harassed, and forced to withdraw, but putting up a fight, beyond the usual (X used Y ability! spam) Everyone knew the Horde was going to get chased off, the Horde players did, the Alliance players did, we were like “We’re dead” when we realised how far the Horde front line had moved away from us. Some players on Horde side want to be invincible, and Some players on Alliance side want to be invincible. They both need a slap.

You won’t remember the ‘Magic Beer’ then, that secured an Alliance win, or the occasional ‘sudden extension of the PvP times’ to allow the Alliance to capture objectives when the Horde were logging or thought the scrap was over…

To be honest, I’m guilty of one thing in this Campaign, I declared our numbers as 8, whereas they were pretty consistently 10, that’s it. Yeah, we did our own thing, but whilst we did, we occupied an equal number of Alliance players who we were fighting, so it kind of evened out, nobody lost out, nobody won, 10 was higher than I expected, but I don’t think it caused a problem.

People need to accept scenarios for what they are, like the final night of the Campaign, we all logged in thinking “We’re going to be covering a desperate rearguard retreat by Horde forces from the air, OK, we got this!” And that’s what we Got! Did we -lose- the Battle? Hells yes. Did we still have fun? Hells yes! Was this because both sides kind of knew what was going to happen and no one had to try and prove their manhood by going all out? Hells yes!

It’s possible to lose a battle, and be a hero…

3 Likes

Idk about magic beer, but I remember Horde using legendary rings in WoD to get an easy advantage (cuz idk think they were more content focused than Alliance), also extending PvP times or leaving the Alliance in the unknown, doing sneaky tactics and w/e. No side is innocent, but for some reason most Horde players seem to think they’ve not done the same thing when in reality… they have…

All what you said have been done by Horde as well lmao, and there’s more. Both sides do sneaky stuff in order to win. Would be much better if both sides instead focused on having fun instead of trying to win.

Alliance doesn’t even get their badges in art form for victorious campaigns any more smh…

2 Likes

they get removed altogether [grumbles angrily]