RP Realm moderation and RP in eyes of Blizzard

There have been quite a few topics on the theme of people getting banned from RP-PVP realm of late and I see people point at RP realms having stricter moderation. Just to clear it up, there is not a smidge of moderation for RP realms. If anything happens, it happens through mass reporting and automated systems. There are people with most idiotic names on retail RP realms, there are people that make it their work for years to be an RP disruption and public nuisance, spamming toys, parking fat mounts on people and in general attentionhoeing. Itā€™s not a thing. It doesnā€™t exist. Your moderation is your chat blacklist. What is going on new SoD realms is same as it was on classic launch: bunch of clowns mass reporting random people and blizzards ā€œhighly complex, totally not automatic systemsā€ responding.

But now to the actual topic of this conversation, and that is RP and Blizzard. RP-PVP realm, seriously? Is anyone out there even looking at RP realms? Having a clue what that RP community is like? You would be hard pressed to find people that want to resolve their RP through PvP, more so open world one. People build stories and resolve them with befitting descriptions. They gulp potions to speak to the other faction. Just as with names, nobody cares, people do use addons to replace their names with more interesting options, options that allow custom titles, surnames and other things. Blizzard has done nothing at all for RP in ages, and if anything, actively hurts those realms. D4 goblin event and phasing killed Stormwind RP for about a month. There is no RP in Valdrakken or Dragon Isles because of the phasing. If there was at least one person, in their right mind, that knew what RP even is in Blizzard, we would be getting new emotes, customization and transmog updates, optional idles and animations. Housing, ffs. It truly baffles me that someone decided that RP-PVP realm is going to make any sense whatsoever.

9 Likes

You do know most names are taken these days? And I do mean taken when people are selling names.

And what do you want man? To have people banned cause they use the toys Blizzard gave them?

3 Likes

First of all, as I said: people that said you are getting banned on RP realm for name enforcement isnā€™t a thing. Names doesnā€™t matter. People that actually RP use addons to change their names freely.

Secondly. Well, yes. There is a difference between using toys and making use of them on purpose in someoneā€™s face in obviously rp scenario. Itā€™s the level of argument ā€œthat hunter isnā€™t troll pulling during break he is using skills that blizzard gave himā€.

4 Likes

Then keep waiting cause I donā€™t see blizzard allocating resources to investigating every report needy rp-ers make.

1 Like

Unsurprisingly it goes over your head. Recommend re-reading the post.

1 Like

Ok. So how would Blizzard ban those nasty RP killers who use toys to destroy your immersion rp event?

I play on AD, the roleplayers donā€™t bother me and I donā€™t interact with them.

If Rpers started reporting my names, then Iā€™d be inclined to start disrupting them too, fact is, right now, RP realms are still raiding realms.

If they added a special NPC that entered you into an ā€œRP Phaseā€ where yā€™all could do your thing thatā€™d be fine.

So, what I am hearing is-- ā€œIā€™m going to go disrupt a load of peopleā€™s fun who probably had nothing to do with my name getting reportedā€

3 Likes

RP-PVP is a god damn oxymoron.

One favors cooperation between parties, the other explicitly favors griefing.

Yeah you can grief without pvp, but you canā€™t strip players of their ability to move around and interact.

2 Likes

The faction language barrier and phasing is a pain and should go.
Warmode needs to go as well.
But you leave my RP-PVP alone! >:)

RP is dead ever since they removed the /fart emote to brush up against someone.

Hmph!

So if I read this correctly, RP-PvP shouldnā€™t exist in your opinion? Sorry but I disagreeā€¦ Heavily.

I agree that Blizz has neglected their most passionate community for ages and that they should give us more role-playing tools. As to what we need? Itā€™s not rocket science, just have a look at what the most popup RP add-ons are offering and implement some of these features in the game. Simple as thatā€¦

As for PvP-RP I will quote another person who explained the relation between PvP and RP because I think they explained it perfectly with examples and allā€¦ :point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down:

No it shouldnā€™tā€¦ Warmode is the only reason I am having wPvP nowā€¦

Because there is no alternative.
We need to go back to separated realm populations of old. None of this cross-realm shenanigans outside of instanced content.
We need an active and engaging server community for interactions like the ones you quoted to be common place again.
Server community died the day they decided to fix server population through sharding, layering and cross realm systems.

1 Like

Again no, I was stuck in a ā€œPvE realmā€ with no wPvP at allā€¦ As soon as warmode became a thing I started having lots of wPvP actionā€¦ First time I wPvPed to my heartā€™s content was BFAā€¦

These were implemented for many reasons and not just to fix sever (I assume you speak about low) population. Too many people in one spot can cause an issue as well. Sharding is fixing the issue of few people or too many people in one zoneā€¦ Server community died for other reasons which are outside of Blizzardsā€™s controlā€¦ Itā€™s the same reason all successful MMOs have solo content in them these days, whereas during the ā€œgreat old timesā€ it was unheard of.

I gotta be honest here. I am extremely naĆÆve as I never know when someone is RP or not. I donā€™t even notice this in game on any realm. Its not like another game that I play, that when players are RP then they have a title on them saying X is currently in RP mode. When non RP players see these titles they simply give these players a wide berth.

Perhaps what you suggest or a huge flashing neon sign over their heads saying RP mode could help. Then again of course with the wow community it could also spell open season on these players.

Ye Iā€™m selfish and talking from an rp-pvp servers view. ^^
Iā€™m perfectly fine with every other realm type staying the same with all the current bells n whistles.

I disagree, it was very much in Blizzards control to rectify it. The playerbase will always diminish over time and move to greener pastures but Blizz had plenty of time and feedback to encourage population movement between servers through free realm transfers and merging of servers.
Funny thing is they did the exact same mistake thing with classic though Iā€™m willing to cut them some slack since it happened really fast unlike with retail which took years.

1 Like

Where 99% of the cases servers became lopsided in favour of either faction, effectively making them a pve only server save for a handfull of griefers.

PvP Servers have and will always be a failed concept.

1 Like

Indeed. And honestly, I think it is time for a RP mode on the list. One with the following functions:

• While in RP mode, others not in this mode can see and hear your RP and characters but can not interact with you via any means.
    That means player using this mode canā€™t see the players outside of this mode and canā€™t hear/read any actions/emotes/say/yell from them. Players in RP mode are visually highlighted for the players not in this mode.
  • While in RP mode, phasing for cities is disabled in general (since within this mode cities would be A LOT more empty)
  • While in RP mode, fewer trash/elite mobs are in the open world and kills of any mob donā€™t yield XP, gold, loot. (to prevent abuse of this mode in the open world and to allow players to use the space of the open world for their RP).
  • Edit: To enter this mode, you have to activate it like Warmode in your capital. Activating it has a 30 minutes Cooldown to leave and re-enter this mode. While the mode is active, you canā€™t queue for any group finder or matchmaking activity.

I think on rp realms it would be a good practice to allow people to have the same name or give a secondary name with a # beside the name when hovering over.

1 Like