Shadowlands: You should be able to choose ALL covenants

9.0 Patch notes

• Fixed some stuff
  • Added more broken stuff to fix later
1 Like

let me make it perfectly clear. you will NOT max the a tree in the first patch unless you put in like 4 hours a day of farming.

The reason we pick one is because how vastly different and also that none of the covenants directly communicate with each other to such a degree that it would make any sense for players to be an emissary from that original covenant.

If the story was different and we had just one general hub that we were communicating with the different groups it would be a different situation but what we have are 4 independant islands that are home to the 4 covenants.

I think you have to give Blizzard a chance to tell the story they are trying to tell instead of just armchair critizing their reasons as to why its the way it is as none of us have had our hands on the full game yet so we have no real idea why that is the case.

Thanks
useless part to meet the minimum of 10 characters

Well, I’m not forcing anyone.
Neither am I ‘advocating’ for anything regarding covenants. I’ve already made this very clear, but for some reason most of you keep missing that point entirely.

No you.

Try me. See how long you last.
Now, kindly go to bed. I’m sure it’s way past your bedtime.

is there anyone here that is actually an alpha or beta tester ?

I will be in the beta later this week, mark my words! :grimacing:

there is no problem here with farming and catching up though, the entire issue is that they are forcing us to make a decision at the start of the expansion and making it something that if difficult to freely swap around, then in turn making the choice we have to make a very difficult choice, i could chose an AoE ability and be good in dungeons or i can pick a more single target focused ability and be good in raids, but unfortunately i do not get the option of being good in raids and dungeons both of which i very much enjoy taking part in, i have to make a choice between one of these two things, not to mention that some of the abilities could be worse for some specs meaning i essentially lock myself out of being effective with an entire spec.

because you are advocating for a system that would require people to just reroll an entire new character if they missclick once, WHICH IS A BAD SYSTEM

if im sat watching blizzcon from the virtual ticket with about 5 or 6 friends last year and everyone has the exact same reaction to the announcement of “oh that might be a problem” and now that the alpha/beta has been updated and they have added the soulbinds and conduits in for a lot of classes and it hasnt changed anything, they still have the same problems that have been there since the start, we have essentially seen the entire system as it is now, other than balancing. it does and has always looked like a terrible idea because of the pure limitation they are setting on people while saying that they are wanting to give people more agency

i didnt say you were forcing anyone, and when i say you are advocating what i mean is that you are saying that there is no issue with there being limitations on the covenants abilities, which is your opinion i know and you are more than welcome to that opinion, but the fact that people out there are outright saying its not a problem means that blizz are likely to read it and see that some people dont have a problem with it and that might lead to them thinking that limiting other people is fine. which it isnt, because they are preaching for player agency in everything else and its a cornerstone of their philosophy for the expansion.

with the amount of content out there and people testing all of this stuff and information that is shown from people that have access at wowhead you dont have to log in and see it in game for yourself

1 Like

If they can’t design the game in a away that tells a story without sacrificing playability, then they should change their game design team. And we have plenty of examples from legion and BFA with problems spotted early on going live unaddressed despite extensive feedback.

With the “just wait for release and then complain”, we might as well not have any alpha and beta testing.

My point was regards to the covenant system specifically. Conduits and soulbinds were not apart of my originally point in the slightest. I was talking about the actual topic post which still in my mind should be Blizzards choice how to tell their story otherwise its a case of too many cooks if they keep changing stuff to suit every other players desires.

it will probably be basically dps go for X tank go for Y and healer go for Z.
same as before with different name. the way i see it, blizzard saw legion system as good, so they will stick to it in some form or another. ull see.

if you worry about dps, unless you are going for world first, there [probably] wont be much difference.
ill go for the one which i find the most enjoyable, because i like to enjoy the games im playing.

They have said you can change covenant and from what I’ve seen their intention was to make it more alt friendly to enable the ability to try all the 4 coves in their entireties. I could be wrong though.

I must admit that if the covenants basically turn into a DPS are x and healers got to Y and tanks go to z covenant I think personally that would be god awful. I also don’t think Blizzard would be that silly to do that but I do believe that some coves will suit tanks slightly better than others etc etc.

Yeah. Over and over and over and over…

Someone else did. It’s funny how you people are all answering for each other like one big hivemind.

Agreed.

Agreed again!

Now you’re getting it!

Goodnight now!

Yeah those last few were a joke.
I really can’t take this thing serious anymore.
You guys keep trying to get Blizzard to change their mind. Good luck.

Byebye.

Blizzard cant control that players will find the best for class and spec, its going to be on wowhead and all will take it from there.
we both know its true.

its the way its been since release in 2004.

You’re wrong. You can change to another covenant, but going back to a covenant you’ve left is what they want to make really difficult and they are still standing behind that decision as of now. In one of the interviews, Ion said it might be up to a week long process just to earn their trust back and rejoin them.

As for trying the covenants, you will get to try the signature and class ability, but in a very limited form because it’s going to be all pretty much only open world. Some abilities straight up don’t even work in the open world because of how they are designed. And for example, trying everything out as a druid will be a MAJOR pain, because Night Fae balance druid ability is different from the other 3 specs and Kyrian has different abilities for guardian, resto and balance/feral… and in general, I don’t think we get to try the abilities enough to justify making a full commitment to them.

But the abilities are all you get to try, you don’t get to see soulbinds and covenant specific events until you chose that covenant (I think). So you’re essentially guessing and hoping you don’t regret your choice unless you research from external sources.

i have no problem with the covenants and how they will tell the story thats perfectly fine, i just dont want them to put the power of the class abilities behind the covenants because of people wanting to optimise feeling forced to swap when there are balance patchs and such.

as i said earlier in the post, i want to try and get through content as soon as i can, i dont want to be wasting my time and there are some lesser skilled players in my guild so i need to try and maximise what i can do in order to not end up spending weeks long than needed in order to get content cleared. so im not going for world first but that doesnt mean i shouldnt care about the power of my character, its an RPG afterall.

yeah but if you are in the situation of playing multiple specs and swapping between dungeons and raids all the time you can swap from one the other other, but going back for the original will be a huge problem, as you essentially have to earn back the original covenants trust,

i would rather just have the choice to take the covenant i thematically prefer and not have to worry about swapping around because of the power that is locked behind my choice.

my point is that you are doing something that is similar, maybe that was the wrong word, but in a sense you are championing the idea i guess that its not a problem for a lot of players to be force and locked into a bad choice, you have said repeatedly you would be fine with this and that its not a problem. stop just randomly changing your point.

you replied and took an out of context quote again and then said to me you were not forcing anyone, i wasnt claiming that, thats all i was saying there, you blamed me like i was trying to say you were forcing people which wasnt the case at all, context is importnt, stop just quoting like 4 or 5 words of a full paragraph and complaining like you are the victim please its incredibly childish

again stop quoting what im saying out of context, its really getting tiresome now, you are asking people to not put words in your mouth and yet you just continue to troll everyone and are refusing to follow the same rules you seem to be expecting of everyone else.

stop being a child

you have complained repeatedly about people refusing to take your seriously and ignoring your opinion and then you do stuff like this, how can you expect us to take your opinion seriously when you act like a child randomly and repeatedly refuse to actually pay attntion to what people are saying and refuse to understand or even accept that there are other opinions other than your own.

but considering that they know there will be resources it gives them the perfect chance to actually use it to their advantage, they could work with prominant members of the community and members of the theory crafting groups to actually make the game something that can work, and rather than giving into a certain group within the community that for some reason thinks its okay to just have your class locked out of gameplay options, give everyone the choice to play as they would like to, up untill the last 3 or so expansions there were not a bunch of hoops that players had to jump through in order to raid, since maybe legion or WoD this started to happen, with farming apexis for legendaries or having to farm AP this expansion for your gear to work at higher levels.

Yeah I should have said that I mean like a 30-40% difference because if its only like 5-15% difference Im okay with not forcing myself for those percentages but something above 20% is when your literally hindering your own progression for the sake of a simple choice. I dont think Blizzard would be that stupid to make that big of a difference in terms of whats best for what spec.

1 Like

its not about stupidity, its about balance. and that balance will not be found until all players are playing with their mains.

Oh sweet summer child

2 Likes