Skyriding / Flying issue

since pre patch I noticed that whenever I try to fly down, the mount tries to level itself back to back out into a horizontal path.
Idk how to explain it better tho ^^
basically the mount goes back up again without my input.

7 Likes

Yeah I’ve been getting this too. When you try pointing downwards, which you need to do to maintain speed and increase vigor, it levels you and refuses to stay in the downward position.

You end up with no vigor and come to a slow and fall to the ground because of it.

It doesn’t effect pointing upwards from what I’ve experienced.

It also doesn’t happen every time you mount up and fly, and landing and re mounting sometimes fixes it, until next time you land and mount up.

3 Likes

I have been experiencing this on and off with certain mounts (it doesn’t affect all), which seem to have a strong tendency to either resist travelling downwards or in some cases even go upwards of it’s own accord.

1 Like

I’ve also noticed that this happens when swimming too. If I enter water mounted, then unmount to swim this bug will continue while swimming. Once back on land it’s fine, until I go back in the water or mount up again.

2 Likes

I’m glad it’s not just me that encountered this ^^
let’s hope Blizz get to know of this and fix it :3

I’m having the same problem with all my mounts randomly…

1 Like

Hey all,

I’m not seeing any known bug with this, however if the issue persists, please do report it to our developers, and they’ll be able to check this out for you. :slight_smile:

Bug fixes are usually published in our Hotfix blogs and patch updates, which can be found in the News section of the main site.

Thank you!

It may not be under your list of known issues but if you were to play the game for an hour just riding around the map doing nothing special it is likely that you will notice something feels off.

The bug is usually but not exclusively observable after participating in a race or skimming, possibly even breaking the surface of water but many different reports have not been able to agree on the root cause. The best way to describe the problem is having to angle the camera downward to compensate for the mount tilting up.

One user has uploaded video on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3esqeF9mF4
notice how smooth it usually feels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4oamyd7-WU
try to observe quick and instant snaps ~4s, ~10s, ~14s

You may not catch it the first time but pay attention to the owl’s model and how unnatural it feels the very moment it automatically levels out in an unwanted direction without user input. It will auto adjust the angle despite being forced to look down, which in turn causes loss of speed and momentum.

4 Likes

Feel free to share all of this information in the bug report Ultimutt, I’m sure it will be helpful to our developers when investigating this issue. :slight_smile:

How am I supposed to report a bug if the bug report system keeps referring me to the US site?
Without a US account I am not allowed to write anything there with an EU account.

Furthermore: if you fly for a while and especially downwards, the bug appears quite quickly. not always, but often enough

1 Like

This happens to me, you can change the “us” at the start of the URL to “eu” and hit enter. It should work.

I’ve also found that changing the language settings at the bottom of the page also works.

Why we should have to do any of this is another matter…

The support system sends you to US forums because EU doesn’t have a bug report forum. EU players only have the in-game option thus why many people post bugs in the CS forum. I’ve never really understood why EU does not have one.

If you did want to post on the US bug forum you can do so with your EU subscription. You can create a WoW starter account for the US region, login to it and level a char to level 10. You can then use that to post on the US forums.

I may be onto something here. I have noticed that you accumulate Static effect buff (up to x10) for the Lightning Rush Skyriding ability not just while flying next to a wall as intended, but by also flying over some kind of objects, edges of cliffs included.

So if I were to fly over a house, not even remotely close to where the physical object is located but from a mile up in the clouds, I would get x2 Static by crossing each “border”. You will quickly notice this in a capital city such as Stormwind.

This auto correction happens somewhat consistently but primarily for Druids because of their Bird forms after flying near or penetrating water surfaces because sometimes they will automatically shapeshift into a seal and back again.

We all know that when you fly towards water on a mount at an angle smaller/lower than 45° that you don’t automatically dismount and start swimming but instead you tilt or bounce and continue gliding at max speed for a few moments longer while touching the surface before you start slowing down.

I believe that this is what’s happening. If the game can’t figure out the character to terrain or object physical relation correctly, it may be incorrectly thinking that you are constantly running into the surface of water while far above the ground, and this autocorrection is an identical involuntary character movement which would result from an interaction described in the previous paragraph.

I’ve noticed that even the distance for activation Ground Skimming (which refreshes vigor) got increased significantly. Previously it was no larger than arms length and now it is visually showing at almost 20 yards. Not sure if it has anything to do with all these bugs.

2 Likes

That’s a really interesting theory, you’re definitely on to something here. Lets hope they get it fixed soon, it’s starting to get really annoying especially when doing races :frowning:

Update on Steady Flying in bird form. Interaction with water surfaces causes the pitch to lock horizontally so holding down the right mouse button moves camera around instead of pointing the nose of your character in a specific direction. The character can still continue flying in a fixed position horizontally. Ascending and descending is possible with jump/sit but you you can’t change angle before remounting, sometimes even before relogging.

Bird form is still -100% slower than other mounts with static flying
Lifting off from water in bird form is impossible with Skyriding, unlike with other mounts.

Bird animation bugs after specific actions or disc mounts - diving towards the ground will cause the birds to use SITTING animations instead of make them fold their wings.

I’ve experienced countless situations where my bird form casually switches from Skyriding to Static after either touching water or interacting with objects (mining and herbing on mount/travel form possible with profession knowledge).

Skyride into water near the shore => find yourself unable to escape while jumping near the surface of water, get shifted into a swimming form and back into flying a couple of times (not necessary) => get out onto the ground => your bird is now STATIC FLYING. You can recreate it yourself.

I am having the same issue with all my Skyriding mounts… they tend to lvl themselfs to orizontal axes (like an autocorrect or something). Did not found any settings to turn this off. It is anoying as you let you mount to fly and suddenly you are dropping to the ground as you are not speeding anymore since your velocity decresed, since u flew on horizontal plane. Quite anoying!

Interaction with water seems bugged and not just for druids. You no longer gently bounce off the surface and autocorrect your pitch to keep gliding at max speed before starting to lose speed if you decide to fly at it with an angle under 45°.

Unlike before, you penetrate the surface instantly and from what I am seeing in case both of bird form and mounts, the game considers the actual surface to be several feet below than logic would imply and touching this line causes an instant dismount.

For the first part of pre-expansion patch everything was mostly working fine (apart from the bird form flying -100% slower than mounts for some strange reason), but the moment Khaz Algar appeared on the map, a lot of weird bugs appeared.

The bug I described in the previous post with bird forms casually switching between Skyriding and Static whenever touching water was happening before I even unlocked Static Flying for the new continent (shortly after the criteria was changed so basically everyone gets it whenever they first arrive).

There is so many things wrong right now that it is impossible not to notice any of them unless you have spent a full week leveling inside of dungeons.

To sum it up;

• bugs with water and terrain detection which also could be the main cause of the pitch autocorrect
  • auto switch from skyriding to static in travel form
  • static bird is still using the old 310% flying speed value (new one for mounts is about a quarter faster)
  • a bunch of random disconnects when attempting to lift off and hitting an obstacle very close to the ground
  • bird form animations broken after using disc mounts (such as soaring spelltome)
1 Like

Yeah, had that a few days. At first I thought the settings resetted but nope.

Same with switching flight mode sometimes it just doesn’t want to change.

Or the random mount button constantly giving the same otter mount.

Wow is really buggy these days. :dracthyr_hehe_animated:

1 Like

I forgot to include how camera positions for mounts are broken completely. Many mounts may be perfectly centered on the screen in one flying style and completely broken in another. Especially for Blood Elves who seem to be falling off the bottom edge of the screen even at max zoom-out.

A blue actually answered this question a long time ago, but it was a long time ago so I don’t know if his answer is still valid.

“Because the devs are based in the USA, and don’t have time to read both the US and the EU forums, I mean, they barely even read the US forums as it is.
Plus management won’t let us forward bugs reported on the forums to the devs, unless the devs specifically ask us to gather information about a specific bug. If we did, there’d be that many bugs reported, its all we’d have time to do.”