So it looks like exploiters keep exploiting, no bans happening. Look how nostalrius managed exploiters. Bans happened

There’s not evidence that happened, definitely not to the extent the exploiting happened on some realms.

3 Likes

I think I’ll trust Blizzard investigating over wild claims online anyday.

However, we also want to assure you that the issue is a much smaller problem than some people are claiming. We’ve been closely monitoring the effect layering is having on economies and other aspects of the game, and many of the stories we see posted are wildly inaccurate. We’ve seen screenshots of banks full of rare crafting materials, which we’ve investigated and proved false.

The people who exploited with raids are banned. Action was taken. If the screenshots on reddit are to be believed, until 2020

1 Like

Well we’re not talking about raid epics tho, it’s a completely different scenario since everyone has access to each raid once per week, if a group of people were to get access to raids more often than that then it’s a clear exploit and gives them an unfair advantage over others.

We, however, are talking about resources that are out there in the open world, for everyone to take. If someone has a problem with some other people getting too much of said resources, go contest them instead of complaining.
It’s that simple.
The resources are there in the same amount no matter what, you literally can’t complain about who picks up said resources, it’s dumb & childish.

1 Like

I am aware, was simply trying to explain to him why this is infact smart use of game mechanics.

I don’t trust Blizzard, there’s a personal incentive for the devs who oversee the project to downplay and sweep under the rug this whole layering fiasco. If the extent of all the cheating that went on was fully known the public I’m sure large swathes of the Classic player base would quickly lose interest in the game. Nobody wants to jeopardize their six figures game developer job in silicon valley for tanking a project due to hubris.

6 Likes

These people’s goalposts are moving so much you’d think the goalposts are layer hopping

3 Likes

Bottom line is that some players have an unfair advantage and not by a few %, but a whole order of magnitude larger than intended.

You think it’s different because the exploiting has been happening in areas of the game you don’t care about as much.

My point is that you’d be just as incensed if an unfair advantage of this magnitude affected raids or PvP.

3 Likes

Thank you for putting a smile on my face today.

1 Like

You’re conflating game mechanics designed to be deliberately used by players, with server side technical solutions that were supposed to be going on in the background.

If I see you’re advertising enchants on Trade chat and my friends and I report you so you get muted, is that creative use of game mechanics?

Back in vanilla players have used a small delay in restarting the servers during maintenance to dupe gold and items. By your logic that was creative use of game mechanics too, no? And to see the difference, Blizzard of that era went on and did full server rollbacks for days, and that was for their flagship game at the time and not a side-project like Classic is now.

4 Likes

But it didn’t work in raids…
It only worked in dungeons and those dungeons you are 100% allowed to kill several times per week, even per day. You’re just not allowed to do it the way some people did it by abusing layers inside dungeons, obviously.
Stop spreading false info tho.

No, that’s actual abuse and will likely get action taken against you if you keep doing that kinda thing.

I don’t trust all those who are out to claim Classic is a failure who have done nothing but complain and say everything is wrong since day 1.

1 Like

For your tradechat argument, ya it is, hell people have done it and not been banned for it. That said obviously this falls under their griefing policy ontop of smart use of game mechanics so.

For your second point, I don’t know the reason why this duping method worked, if it was by abusing a glitch then no. Can’t answer that without knowing the in’s and out’s of this trick and why it worked.

You don’t have to take my word, but you seem very skeptical about reddit/discord reports of rampant exploiting and the opposite about reddit/discord reports of suspensions.

3 Likes

It’s a matter of nuance.

If you sell arcanite on trade chat and I report you so you get muted and remove you from the market, I am manipulating a feature of the game that is not designed to be manipulated for this purpose.

If I convince you to CoD me that arcanite and I let it sit in my mailbox for three days, I still temporarily remove you from the market but this time by using a feature of the game in a way it was intended.

2 Likes

So wild claims online doesn’t include things that says positive things about Blizzard? Ok, gotcha.

I’m not saying I’m doubting the reddit posts, it’s just that your logic seems to be a little… “I rather choose to believe what makes Blizzard look good, than what makes them look bad.”, you know?

There’s also their past MO to consider, and that they don’t tend to enforce their rules to an adequate degree sometimes. Sure, they went hard on Preach, but where are their handlings of the organized boosting services that undermines the perceived value of rewards and achievements in PvP? Their stance on that is a little… iffy.
There are plenty of sociological studies and examples to go by when it comes to the enforcement of laws in societies and the effects of when they fail, which can be applied to mini-societies like in MMO’s as well.

Of course, boosting for gold is allowed and have been a practice since vanilla.
But that’s not really how the organized boosting services operates, they only take that cold, hard real-life cash.

4 Likes

I actually say ‘if they are to be believed’ with the suspensions as well. But I know Blizzard will never discuss the punishments they dish out. They did, however, discuss the results of their investigation into the claims of people gaining things.

I don’t actually have a single friend who exploited to get a ban so I can’t comment on whether or not any of those claims are real. At least six month time out would seem likely so it’s not unbelievable that it would be at least next year before people who exploited could return to those accounts.

Yeah sure you trust.

The same you trusted their words “We hold layer situation under controll” after the topic about layer hoping and look, now we have an issue with layer hopping for RAIDS lmao. And it seems like situation was not even closer under the controll.

Continue to believe in santa, green boy.

4 Likes

I haven’t heard anything about layer hopping in raids so far, provide links that prove your claims

I do not have to provide obvious things for those who spent last 2 weeks in coma.
Scroll topics and find a blue post about layer abuse in raids.

5 Likes

There were a load of screenshots showing ridiculous amounts of materials in bags. A lot of those were just photoshop or private server screenshots.

Everyone is free to make up their own mind.

Blizzard is damned no matter what they do. Do they screw things up sometimes, of course they do. You’ve only got to see how few servers we started with vs how many we have now. However, I don’t see a great inconsistency with rules. You exploit you get banned, the problem here is that people are labelling things exploits that aren’t.

Boosting services for IRL are against the ToS and if they catch a player using them they will suffer the consequences as will the sellers. The bulk of boosting in Retail is for gold. This is a whole different kettle of fish though and has nothing to do with Classic.

1 Like