Spy addon could easily ruin world PvP for classic

This addon was in Vanilla.

4 Likes

And how does that matter? The LFG addon was too.
Just because it was in vanilla, doesn’t mean it’s good for the game nowadays. The OP addressed it in his post.

3 Likes

It most definitely was not.

4 Likes

But it dont matter, now alot more people are downloading addons and its more finetuned clearly. its an unfair advantage and shouldnt be around thats it.

ITS GOT TO GO.

7 Likes

That was my point. In battlegrounds, you’re fighting it out in a limited space, and you can’t just simply avoid fighting, but when you’re trying to stealth over to the WSG flag, or a flag in AB, or a tower/bunker in AV, it’s pointless when this addon is in play. You’ll be noticed right away and people will prepare accordingly. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I do not know if this addon was or not, but we did use scanner addons during rank-farms in BGs and we made target callouts based on peoples gear, talents etc. Scanning opposite faction was a thing in vanilla too. But i believe it used different system like when people inspected you in world, then addon memorised it and shared information… or like that. Don’t hit me if I recall slightly wrong.

But I cannot say how much it was similar to THIS addon in question.

1 Like

There were scanner addons that detected healers (using the scoreboard) and such, but not one that gave up locations, info about when someone went into stealth etc.

The addons we had back then were nowhere near to being similar to the Spy addon in question.

Well I quit right after BC and remember using Spy on my 60 rogue, so try to explain that.

Well i can tell you this now, it wasnt like this no way if it was it should of been banned then.

1 Like

I was fairly involved on the addon scene back then and i never saw or heard anything about this Spy addon. It may have ended up on the blacklisted addon thread at some point if it truly were in the original game.

None of the other ‘scanning’ addons did anything like this Spy addon does things.

PVP addons mostly called out healers and such, but never gave up locations on the map and info on stealthers etc, which is almost like a wallhack for FPS titles.

5 Likes

This is a fact.

4 Likes

Another addon whiner…sigh

3 Likes

Another troll… sigh…

This is a serious issue, bub. One that will definitely spell disaster for the game.

Better to nip it in the bud before it goes out of control.

8 Likes

Something that ruins other peoples game play well then yes you can say i am.

1 Like

Get this addon banned asap.

11 Likes

Spy was definitely in vanilla. And yes it had a setting that it would notify general chat of the enemy spotted and YOUR location, not the enemy’s. I remember running around STV with this addon back in the day.

I agree.

This makes a lot of stealthy heroes much less viable in world pvp. Also it almost removes the element of surprise, which is pretty substantial

Downloaded the add-on myself to try it. The range is super big. I was questing around in astranaar and I could monitor hordies questing in Zoram Strand. Also I could see their levels, guilds and specs, which means I got a lot of information about them before even visually seeing them myself.

Blizzard needs to deal with this add-on madness. Will they? Probably not.

7 Likes

Which doesn’t mean this addon shouldn’t be removed, though. An addon could have existed in vanilla, and still break the spirit of vanilla in my opinion. Simply because in vanilla we didn’t have the ease of access and knowledge to aquire all the best tools. Simply put, spy didn’t ruin PvP because the majority didn’t find it or understand how critical it was. Now everyone is going to “sort by popular” and download it. Or follow forum hype.

2 Likes

People said this crap about LFG and what happened? Blizzard came out and said they don’t want it in the game. Point proven enough.

Maybe they’ll take the same stance with this one.

Destroy the add.
Destroy it now!!!

Ambushing is a legit tatic and this destroy’s that.

1 Like