State of MM Hunter

Now I have been playing my main MM hunter for 7 years and have launched into 10.1 with some zeal. However I have noticed that at 431 it just isn’t performing as well as I would expect despite being fairly well optimised (still working on it but you know). But find that a mate of mine using his ret paladin can do better damage with 10 item levels less. My mates are gearing up their warlock, druid and shaman and you can tell their damage is going to catch up fast. Currently in terms of tier set have 2+2 but heard that 4 set is nothing to be especially excited about so, yeah.

And then to go with that, well, my interrupt is looooong and I don’t really bring much else to a dungeon/raid. And oh so squishy, especially with the amount of unavoidable damage in M+ (look at Naraxas pools - even premoving can still slice off half or more of your health without actually doing anything wrong) makes them just a liability.

So what gives? Are we getting some sort of help with this? Perhaps some emphasis on our utility and our survivability? Because let’s be honest, it looks like hunter absolutely sucks this season and I’m left at this point having invested a lot of time and effort looking to regear something else.

Disappointing.

1 Like

I wouldnt hold my breath, it seems the devs are satisfied with the Hunter specs being in the bottom half of the DPS meters.

I expect BM and SV will be buffed slightly though.

MM, they certainly seem clueless about ATM. The Onyx Annulet inflated the MM dps pre-10.1. Its basically similar to a 441 socketed ring, so obviously when other classes get two 441+ rings, they will gain much more than MM hunters. Add to that, the 10.1 MM tier set is the single WORST of ANY dps spec, no other DPS spec in the game has such a weak tier set, the DPS gain is very miniscule. Its amazing such a bad tier set went live tbh.

MM AOE isnt even top half anymore either, because of the above. Which was all the spec had going for it in the previous tier.

So subpar damage + survivability issues = garbage spec.

Yeah, that’s my experience. Used to have fantastic burst AoE, now can’t compete with their golden child, the paladin, who is 10 ilvl below me. Not holding my breath, just contemplating my next steps - quit or reroll, and don’t fancy doing all the progress again on another character. So thanks Blizz, thankyou, really.

1 Like

Quit because of dmg? Lol really mm can do more then just a little burst lol

Shhhhhh now Shaman, go back to your own section unless you have something useful to add. You’ve read my reasoning, and the Trueshot Lodge Discord community is up in arms over how badly hunters are neglected.

We might have been blistering last patch despite being a glass cannon, but now we feel like an eggshell nerf gun once geared in relative terms, and perception of performance is everything. If we bring virtually no utility, we are as fragile as an egg and don’t really do damage, well, give up getting invited to keys or raids. Did you count how many hunters were in Echo’s kill of Sarkareth? Exactly 0.

1 Like

Exacly 0 yes, but on the other fight 1, also yes there are problems with hunters but so is with every … class.

Nah mate, not only is their damage dog**** but they go pop at the first opportunity aaaaaand they have little utility compared to other classes. I have to be more aware of when I need cooldown usages than when I tank, for goodness sake, and even then, they’ll normally be on cooldown when I need them because they are soooo long. I mean, there are so many examples. On Raszageth when you get blown onto the platform I am down to 20% from falling damage. No one else is. I’ve noticed quite often that when a raid-wide AoE goes out, I can have all my defensives up (Fortitude of the Bear and Survival of the Fittest and still take more damage than anyone else who is only relying on passive defensives.

1 Like

Do you have any logs so we can help you with your damage issue?

Do you also have any examples of places were you struggle defensively? Because from my experience our defensiveness is perfectly fine for most damage types, only really rashok mythic has felt rough - any keys upto 20s has been completely fine.

None of the top 3 Sarkareth kills included a hunter. At all.

1 Like

My logs are out there but you’ll probably just call them rubbish. I’m just a guy trying the best he can to do as well as he can and hitting a wall. Plus you’re 439 ilvl…makes a lot of difference, we don’t all get that opportunity.

But if you think they are rubbish then why not focus on improving rather than asking for buffs. MM is in a mediocre spot right now, not amazing, not awful, but why not try and improve rather than just praying for buffs that might not come?

My ilevel is irrelevant, most of my kills/m+ spamming was week 1 with 422 ilevel.

I’ve optimised as far as I can but it never seems to make any more difference. Here, have a look, have a field day: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/id/56562513

I mean by far the biggest factor effecting your damage is just activity time. On your best magmorax kill you have 85% activity time - which you want as close to 100% as possible. This is essentially 15% lost damage on average, which is huge. This is a pretty common reason for peoples damage being lower than expected honestly, and it’s also super hard to diagnose unless you know to look for it.

There are some minor things like a consistent opener and such, but the minor things will pale in comparison to the activity time mentioned above, it would be an absolutely huge gain to improve on this. Again, not personal, this is something most people lose damage with.

There’s a lot going on, it’s hard to have that much uptime. I don’t know how you all manage to do so f**king perfectly within the first couple of weeks. Besides, that doesn’t address my issue…being as squishy as…

So I just don’t know how to fix this. Guess I’ll just delete the game, looks like people like me aren’t allowed to have an opinion on things and is gatekept by people like you.

Good for you, we’re not all the immense ball of talent that you are mate. Some of us are just normal people trying to play to the best of our abilities. I try to improve - in vain. I’ve been at this for years and I’ve just plateaued and gone backwards at some point. So for us “mere mortals” this means we won’t be able to get into keys, we won’t be able to get into decent raiding. It kills the game for it. But from your high and mighty position you don’t see that, it’s very comfortable up there isn’t it? Yeah, you’re the final straw for me quitting this game. I’m out.

???

Please explain how I gatekept in anyway?

You said you had a damage issue, and I offered you some advice on how to improve it. You literally gave me permission to take a look lmfao.

So why on earth are you being rude and personal?

2 Likes

I did explain, for those of us who aren’t part of a fantastic guild and aren’t click-perfect it’s not that easy. We need help to compete out here.

As I said, I’ve plateaued and have difficulty getting better. Takes me a long time to get used to encounters and perfect my style but no one has any kind of time or patience. So you’ve very much gatekept me, you’ve basically said I am not allowed my opinion because my performance is not absolutely spot-on perfect.

I have no idea how your brain does it, never will. But you’re the “elite” in this game, and it’s like royalty in WoW.

No, I suggested that instead of trying to change something you cannot control (Balancing, literally no balancing is done because of complaining on forums I assure you), and focus on something you can control (personal performance).

I am not sure why you are so offended.

Because I am squishy. My character performs like dogs**t for its item level and the slightest thing kills me. I’m not the best player and I’m not the worst, but white knights like you don’t help in the slightest.