The positivity thread!

The 80s transformer movie. Nothing like watching a kid be all ‘oh no’ at the end as the bad guy taunts not-Optimus only to then look super excited as the super up beat 80s good guy music kicks in.

It’s a weirdly good film for one made entirely to justify a new toy line

3 Likes

Nothing beats the soundtrack to that film. Literally from you getting the touch, being an instrument of destruction, and seeing what you want and taking it…it’s all instant inspiration.

1 Like

The fish oil, vitamin supplement, seems to be doing it’s job well with me :fish: :heart:

2 Likes

Today was the first day since November I didn’t need to use long lights when driving back home from work.

The spring is coming. Even up here past the Arctic Circle.

4 Likes

I am free to do what I want. Not the best terms but I am kinda free to seek my own rp. Lets go cringe rp. Nah, joking. But, I am now once more doing my stuff after some dumb stuff to do more dumb stuff.

Yeah, that sounds stupid, but hey, I was never perfect

3 Likes

Yeah you are. Fight the power.

3 Likes

I updated to the latest development version of Ubuntu and discovered that my favorite music player no longer started. I submitted a patch, which is currently under review, and amusingly, I originally made a mistake that stopped the patch from working, but it was caught by Lintian (the software the character was named after).

Even after stopping playing the character, I can’t escape the legacy of the original Lintian!

3 Likes

How tricky is Ubuntu for an inexperienced end user, if you could comment? I’ve been considering it.

Depends on your needs. If you don’t need Windows-specific software like Microsoft Office, Photoshop or AutoCAD, it’s a fine alternative. It has a large selection of open source software: browsers, office suites, email clients, image editors, music and video players, messengers, and so on. But there may be bugs depending on your specific hardware.

It’s also possible to make a lot of Windows software (but not all of it) work under the Wine compatibility layer, but not all of it, and things may break. Games are particularly finicky, since most of them don’t have native Linux versions and you’re stuck running the Windows versions under Wine.

I use Ubuntu as my primary OS, but I’ve used it for years and know it inside and out. On the other hand, if something does break, it’s usually at least possible to fix it with some googling. And with games, I’m lucky that I basically only play WoW and FFXIV, and occasionally some old games for nostalgia’s sake. Even then, while WoW itself is well supported by Wine, the Battle.net launcher has a tendency of occasionally breaking under Wine with new versions, and for FFXIV, I use a native Linux version of XIVLauncher.

So yes, in summary, beyond just typical office or programming use cases there will be some rough edges compared to Windows, especially with games, and you’ll have to google solutions sometimes.

But on the bright side, there’s no telemetry, preinstalled bloatware, annoying nagging to create a Microsoft account or switch to Microsoft’s browser with every update, and all at no cost.

If you’re curious, you can download a live ISO, burn it, and decide for yourself. There are multiple desktop environments to choose from (basically, imagine if Windows had multiple choices for its graphic shell, with different implementations of taskbars, control panels, and so on). The version that is branded simply “Ubuntu” uses the more Mac-like GNOME desktop environment, but I personally prefer Kubuntu, which uses the more Windows-like KDE desktop environment. You can test both if you want. Another variant worth trying is Linux Mint, which is a community-developed OS built on top of Ubuntu, with the goal of having a more user-friendly experience out of the box, and uses its own desktop environment, Cinnamon.

And feel free to poke me on Discord if you want to try and need help!

1 Like

I can now have my balcony door open! It’s - 4 outside with sun :heart:

4 Likes

Good vibes to all who need them.

6 Likes

Dune Part 2 is awesome. I didn’t particularly remember the book except for the basic plot, but the visuals, the casting, and the slow, at times meditative pacing really struck a chord with me.

(I did, admittedly, feel an urge to quote Life of Brian a couple of times.)

6 Likes

Topical funny.

https://www.reddit.com/r/comics/comments/1jnl4l/so_i_drew_my_interpretation_on_the_story_of_the/

2 Likes

For real, I hope this film wins some awards for set and costume design as the minimum, if not for cinematography and direction.

1 Like

I have been gripped by some latent ADHD madness and begun brewing up races in DnD loosely based off creatures from WoW whom I couldn’t find good 5th edition versions of.

Its been a learning experience to fiddle around with DnD Beyonds homebrew creater.
not to mention how valuable chatgpt have been sparring and spitballIng ideas with.

So far I decided to create a race inspired by Furbolgs and one inspired by the Lost Ones.
they are not ready for public view yet, spelling errors and formatting needs some adjustment but I am getting there.

1 Like

I’m reading the guidelines on silmarillionwritersguild.org, and I’m pleasantly surprised. I expected to see an uptight conservative gatekept community and instead it’s the opposite.

Furthermore, in the history of Tolkien fanfiction, canon has been used to deter fans who wish to see themselves and their experiences represented in that canon, such as fans of color who write canon characters as nonwhite, fans who elevate the roles of women, and LGBTQ+ fans who allow room for the full spectrum of gender and sexuality in Middle-earth. The weaponization of canon has, at times, created a fandom that is hostile to some groups of fans. At the SWG, we firmly believe that our purpose is not to declare a One True Canon but to celebrate that canon in all of its complexity, including the many ways fans use that canon as a medium to not only appreciate Tolkien’s world but to comment on it, critique it, repair it, and ultimately bring themselves and their experiences into that world.

Maybe I was wrong to make wide-sweeping stereotypes about the Silmarillion fandom (as opposed to the more casual LOTR/Hobbit fandom).

5 Likes

I wish you a tolerable Monday.

2 Likes

So, they are at last coming to replace the broken toilet.
Strange how satisfying it is, but it’s been like a year… and I brought it up with my partner a few times already…
(Only reason they came by, I suspect is because of a leakage on the upper floor, and they are fixing the roof)

I’m pleased to know that, once they show up later today it’s apparently done swiftly.

Quite mundane things, but alas… quest will be complete!

Oh, and there is sun outside again today :sun_with_face:

Been hearing birds chirp and sing today. It’s a very pleasant sound and good sign that we’re getting back into warmer times!

5 Likes

That’s awesome!

My street has birds nesting all the time in the fronts of houses, under the roofs, and they go into the hedges opposite my house and on the corner of the street (two doors down) and they don’t stop tweeting o_o At all… It’s just constant nattering all day lmao

I’m happy today because I got a referral I needed! Things are looking up.

3 Likes