The ultimate ragequit reasons - Classic

Did any of you out there already got to the conclusion that the Classic WOW drop rates on some items defy logic so much that you considered just going retail and being a happy man?

Today’s game experience: Westfall “fetch x of item y” quests.

• 54 vultures killed to find single Stringly Vulture Meat (apparently muscle atrophy is pandemical across whole Azeroth…)
  • 33 board to find single boar snout (snoutless board, can we ask for a new model for those so we don’t bother killing them?)
  • 50! gnolls to find 1 final Gnoll Paw (I felt awful killing all the crippled gnolls at some point)

I’m not saying that the game was supposed to be easy. I also think that whoever responds with “git gud” or “welcome to wow classic/vanilla” is a hard case of useless troll, just to make a point.

But aside of that, it just feels so horribly out of fun factor, that something that should be considered a common throphy is so stupidly rare to drop. If the quest stated I need to find “Pristine” parts. Maybe “unique”, like a gnoll paw that doesn’t stink. Maybe if the count was smaller. Like 3 orso. But finding more than 5 absolutely common and NOT-extraordinary paws, chunks of meat or single feathers off of birds (duh…) should not be such a chore.

And what makes you want to say goodbye to Classic for a good reason?

15 Likes

A lot of those cooking quests have very low drop rates, deliberately so, that’s why you’re usually only required to get 3. Generally for cooking quests I think don’t bother trying to kill those specific mobs, just have it active and when you’re finished with the zone you’ll probably have accumulated the right ingredients, as long as you loot everything.

If you get that stressed you can just buy it on the AH or ask in general chat. In fact that’s probably why they have low drop rates, cause they’re tradable.

As for gnoll paws, that’s bad luck, I can imagine that would be annoying.

8 Likes

Stop hitting the boars in the snout. You’re destroying the snouts beyond recognition.

36 Likes

There’s currently some kind of disease going on in Darkshore, cause none of the moonstalkers seem to have teeth anymore. And most bears seem to have lost their skin.

27 Likes

I feel your numbers are slightly exaggerated. But yes some quest items have terrible drop rates.
Goodluck with the Morbent fel questline.
Them murlocs be greedy, not giving any ingots away. 18% droprate, drowner mobs, Super fast anti-melee murlocs that you mostly have to fight underwater.

7 Likes

This was something fixed in Cataclysm to the worlds detriment, alas. The problem is looking at it from the lens of realism; these quests are literally just a filter, a masque, a way to get you - the player - to grind mobs for xp. And yes, you could say “Well, increase the drop rate and also increase the xp given per mob” (which is eventually what they did) but then… Well… It just becomes one more of those little reasons that all add up and lead to Retail WoW.

I feel your pain on low drop rates, but instead look at the Xp you’re farming while doing it. It’s all towards the purpose of gaining that next level. And if realism is a factor? I personally imagine my Adventurer has OCD / a desire to be the very best, like no-one ever was. And thus, I can only collect the most ‘pristine’ or ‘perfect’ bits of meat / organs / body parts. To show how awesome and dedicated I am.

“These aren’t just regular Gnoll Paws; these are un-damaged, mange-free, extra-large Gnoll Paws.”

19 Likes

There is a difference between 100% drop chance and 4% drop chance. Make it 10 or 20 and its completely fine, you will still kill more mobs than needed but you dont claw your eyes out as you commit genocide again and again just to get that one item.

4 Likes

But then you wont be getting the classic experience.

3 Likes

Those quests made me not want to do them in groups. No more than two of us, it just took too longer with 3-5 people.

3 Likes

Unless it’s 10 drops you need.
There is an Alliance quest where you have to kill really annoying murloc mobs for ingots. The drop chance is 18% still took me about 1-2 hours with nobody else there to tag mobs away from me.

There are a few quests with specific drops that allow each party member to loot it.
There was one that I can’t remember right now. It didn’t involve a named mob. But still was lootable by all.

1 Like

They have terrible drop rates, because we run out of quests and it’s a way to get players grinding while thinking they’re questing.

6 Likes

i get where you are coming from and i understand why people might get annoyed by it but i personally dont mind it at all, given the fact hat i mostly grind half a level or something like that while trying to get the ques items.

what really bugs me however, is the drop rate when being in a group. i leveled with 3 other people in a group and we almost outleveled the starting area because it took so incredibly long to get all required items. :persevere:

3 Likes

Alliance complaining about drop rates lol. Play horde in stv, then come back. :joy:

3 Likes

I actually enjoy the quest with low droprates. Grinding sessions is an inevitable part of classic and by doing these quest, at least I have the feeling I’m looking for something.

You should enjoy the grinding sessions - It’s especially good if you can get a good rotation up. Trust me, your xp/hour is highest with some of these quests.

10 Likes

As much as i hate those low drops, i love them, its the only way i can force myself to grind :smiley: i grind 20k exp till i finaly drop that one item for quest worth 2k reward (looking at you yetis) , also u get so much gold and stuff from griding its pleasant, boring, maybe, depends on if u enjoy your class or no…

3 Likes

They’re not exaggerated at all.

It took me 2 full runs of WC to get 11/20 Deviate Hides, and then I farmed the other 9 outside for about one hour and a half.

It took me 7 full clears of Skull Rock to get the Lieutenant’s Insignia for Hidden Enemies.

It took me and my girlfriend two hours to get the Mountain Lion Blood needed for the Elixir quest in Hillsbrad.

When I finished the Kolkar Leaders chain in the Barrens, my centaur bracers were 3/15. During Counterattack, I got like 5 more (apparently, the mobs there have a higher drop chance), but we still ended up abandoning the quest as it was not worth the time and the mobs were green anyway.

Most of our gaming sessions end after several hours of being unable to finish a single loot quest, paired with frustration, boredom, tiredness, and a feeling of futility. So now I’m just thinking of leveling routes that avoid loot quests so the two of us can actually play the game.

To those saying “but this is just a way to grind XP” - no, it isn’t. I don’t need to grind XP, I have the level I need anyway, and loot quests usually become green before I even finish them. You can compare Horde and Alliance starting zones and see that the zones that have more loot quests always end up bringing players to higher level. This was not intended. What Blizzard needs to do is enable dynamic drop rates. Killing 50 bears for 8 bear tongues is just not normal.

By the way, I absolutely do not intend to even try to do Helcular’s Rod.

4 Likes

I am levelling 5 characters at once and let me tell you it makes your quest look easy!

You’re playing Horde and you don’t like grinding quests?! Reroll now, before it’s too late. Stranglethorn Vale trolls will destroy you. :scream:

1 Like

WoW logic it’s called. Perfectly normal that only 1 out of 20 Zehvras have a hoof (the rest have toes). Perfectly normal that not all bears have toungs.

Took me an hour on satyrs to get 16 horns.

They changed it later on, to tune it down. But for classic, it’s what you get.

5 Likes

I do not intend to do any quests in STV beyond the WW axe one.