Today I will remind you

Oh the slang is stupid, like OOCel, how is that even a thing, that’d be someone who wants to RP but can’t surely?

Its somebody who has no intention of Rping on our server.

It’s not just the stupid part - it’s confusing and also dowright misdirecting for people who try to hop on the argument and how often it ends up feeling like the people arguing are telling that being OOC is bad and evil.

No, not really. It’s the griefing.

3 Likes

Biggest neckbeard contest ^^

1 Like

We’re all nerds!

No, really.

1 Like

It is someone who doesn’t RP and has no intention to do so.
RPers can be OOC without being an OOCer.

How can have a neckbeard contest when you are hiding your face?

1 Like

Hiding it 'cause I can’t grow a beard ;(

I wonder who’s gonna get the 1500th post.

Oh, I know, I explained my point on a later post.

1 Like

This is the sort of statements we get from the “I’m on AD because my friend plays there/because there’s no sharding/for the economy” crowd.

12 Likes

I feel kinda bad for saying this since I’m also sometimes terrible with it myself(especially with English) but what is up with the god-awful spelling these kind of comments have most of the time?

" If I come across a person who seems to completely ignore the existence of apostrophes and capital letters and types things like “im an eagle and im typing with my talons, so dont make fun of me cuz this is hard,” I like to imagine that they actually are an eagle typing with their talons. It would be a hassle if you had to hop in the air and use your feet to karate-chop two keys simultaneously every time you wanted to use the shift key to make a capital letter. Also, eagles lack manual dexterity, so I can understand why they’d want to leave out apostrophes. Eagles are all about efficiency. "

From;

2 Likes

If installing an addon and using the realm for what it exists for is too hard of a concept to understand then I am worried of your brain functioning correctly.

Going to a roleplay realm without the intention to roleplay is about as a good idea of going to BurgerKing to ask for a BigMac. Both are fastfood restaurants but cater to a different taste. Or would you say BurgerKing is “gatekeeping” you from having a BigMac too? When across the street there’s a McDonalds?

Or do you just sit in a restaurant and watch people eat? Because that’s essentially the whole “I enjoy the enviorement of a roleplay realm”.

Do you also go to your dentist when you want a haircut?

“bUt It’S nOt ThE sAmE”. You’re right. The same would be signing up for the gym and then instead of participating or starting to exercise, you just creepily watch everyone. Then you decide “watching isn’t enough” and start to poke people while they exercise. Start talking to them and make fun of them. You see two dudes talking to eachother, so you decide to just stand right in the middle of their conversaton. Sounds really great putting what some OOC’ers do into a reallife perspective, huh?

Let’s be real… reading the first line of that comment already tells what kind of person that is. If you can’t spell “someone” and have to spell “some1” then I already doubt the mental capacities.

Here’s a fun story: I’ve met someone once on the Gamescom a few years ago. The guy made before a few Twitter posts about how Argent Dawn roleplayers are silly and was griefing some “for fun” on stream, that was months ago though. So the guy tweets in which hall he currently is holding up a meeting. I go there. Talking to him for 5 minutes it appears that he is extremely awkward and just plain weird.

I ask him about the stream and to do that please right now to me. He’s confused and doesn’t know what I mean. I am also confused. So I tell him to do what he did on the roleplay realm a few months ago. Stand infront of random strangers to interrupt their conversation, tell them to f themself, scream loudly infront (/y spam) and everything else he did on stream. This scrawny a-word guy has the guts to tell me “No, I can’t do that”. On my question of why not he tells me “that would be weird”. :thinking:

Since that event and knowing how Asmongold himself looks, I can’t take any OOC’ers seriously anymore. Just imagine the most unattractive, ugliest person you’ve ever seen with the social skills of a donkey. That’s about 90% of his viewers and of all who don’t use AD for roleplay purposes.

Or it’s just some 13 year old kid. In that case you shouldn’t take them seriously in any way, shape or form.

So you got the choice between:

• Some creepy guy
  • A child who just doesn’t know any better

Really doesn’t look too hot for them in my experience.

This died with the last AH update. Lots of people complain about how it killed the whole AH feature for them. We might see a decrease in OOC’ers. Or maybe even WoW players over all. I really do wonder though if they would all leave if Blizzard offered other realms with no sharding + free transfer.

11 Likes

It’s probably just due to the character limit of tweets. Be on Twitter enough it becomes almost default to make those cuts to get more letters in.

In before 'but he misspelt ‘oversensitive’.

1 Like

Good post.

The predictable response to the situation where you quizzed the guy is the usual “bUt ItS dIfFeReNt ItS nOt Rl.”

Which is strange, it is a different medium of communication sure. And arguably the context is different, sure, because it’s people engaged in “make believe” so there’s a clear divorce from RL there. But if we take these two in turn:

1. Regarding Communication Channel:

The most probable response here is that it’s “not face to face”. This makes one question whether such individuals similarly engage with trolling/antisocial communication in a situation where others are engaged in a communication for a clear purpose (much like RP) that the individual doesn’t care much for. For example in a voice-chat lecture (pretty standard in today’s situation), does the individual randomly start yelling out obscenities? Probably not.

So maybe it’s their voice that’s the issue. Again, using the “distance lecture” or “meeting” as a model, does the individual randomly start swearing at people and trolling their comments in a text-based chat? Probably not.

So I find the argument “it’s different it’s the internet” uncompelling

1. it’s the Notion of Make Believe

Perhaps it is because whatever is going on over the channel is a suspension of RL via RP that makes it “acceptable”. Engagement in an activity that distances us from reality as it were.

The arguments here then become does the individual similarly begin throwing random obscenities when watching a play, or a film? Or when children are engaged in pretend play? In all probability the answer to these questions are no.

So it doesn’t seem that it’s because of the way it’s done, or what is being done. To me this leaves only one reason:

1. Lack of Consequences

The internet offers an environment where it is very hard to detect who someone is, and this is the key. It’s not about how it’s being done, at least it is only as far as it makes it hard to know who someone is. It’s not about what is being done. It’s simply about the behaviour will not come back on the individuals in a way such infractions would in the “real world”.

Essentially these people are gigantic cowards. They have a desire to act anti-socially or “bolster” themselves but lack the courage to do it in an environment where there is risk to themselves and their esteem, so instead they do it in an environment where there are no firm consequences, and they can deindividuate all responses to them as “nobodies, non-persons” which justifies their behaviour. Aside from this being really concerning in-itself, it’s a cycle of behaviour that offers no therapeutic benefit for the one doing. To display courage in a situation of no-risk undermines the display entirely. To behave abrasively to social rules in a setting where there is no penalty for infraction isn’t to rebel at all.

It’s essentially an engagement of illusory “power” behaviours on their part to provide the feeling of them being something they’re not. But any RL confrontation about such quickly reveals the notion is entirely false. These people don’t gain confidence from such, nor a genuine feeling of power. If it were so they wouldn’t always look so meek and try to dissolve into the carpet whenever one of their digital target manages to track them down in reality.

I work in education as a lecturer and I teach a lot of young-adults (most of my groups are 18-30). I learn things about my learners through conversation or just colloquial listening, and I second what you’ve said. The ones who talk about their internet exploits are pretty much without fail always confirming 2 things:

1. They only declare such to people they know share their view, so they joke about it with like-minded friends, never people with whom they don’t know how they’ll react

2. Their general social skills are usually awkward and clumsy.

One could say that because of 2), engaging in exercises that boost their confidence is a good way forward. The tragedy is they undertake exercises that will never render them any real benefit because they lack the confidence to undertake them in a way that incorporates risk, which is the entire keystone behind their social awkwardness in reality.

5 Likes

I can understand twitter somewhat yeah! But I think this was a youtube comment?

Oh, you’re right. It looked like Twitter when I first saw it, but now I see the thumbs up/down. Huh.

1 Like

It looked twitter first too, but I think that’s just Coldshade having a weird webpage theme/colour :smiley:

Your post looks like a very smug way of saying “these nerds are socially awkward”. Hey, look, I did your job in one phrase.