Toxic group of kids!

My point is not to force co operation, but instead to not deter co operation

1 Like

Definitely fair and accurate. Events are way more creative these days, it’s awesome. I do think the biggest issue (for me at least) is all the OOC drama surrounding RP these days. It’s definitely always been a thing but it’s far more prevalent and easily accessible now.

6 Likes

So what do you suggest in the case of this campaign you’ve mentioned?

Guilds A & B does not under any circumstances want to RP with Guild C - what do they do when it comes to pass that they will have to do that as part of that event’s framework?

Yeah for sure old AD drama didn’t have discord et al so it was just really low level “I don’t like x and they suck” tier drama at best. People didn’t really know each other that well OOC and sometimes that was a positive for RP

Don’t get me wrong killing mobs in Stratholme for that Arthurion event in TBC was sick and one of the most hype RP sessions I’ve ever attended but I think many of these things are at their best as fond memories rather than guidebooks for things we must copy word-for-word

1 Like

There’s this odd sentiment of dig your head in the sand and ignore, as being the only way to avoid this reoccurring mess. But I feel, the server as a whole would be a lot better off if people weren’t doing that and speaking for themselves, if you’ve an issue, the forums are surely the place to take it.

1 Like

What I’d suggest for stuff like server events, if someone signs up, they should have the maturity and the willingness to stick to that obligation. It’s like guild hopping, you can do it, but it doesn’t make it right nor does it achieve anything if you just leave, it only annoys people and is generally unfair on the players going out of their way to create some initiative. As great or small as the initiative may be. Simply a matter of integrity.

Fair enough if you cannot see any option of co operating, you can pull out, but do so without attempting to create as much deterrence as possible. If it’s not the host that is the issue, then do not throw the issue on the host. Posting stuff like I’m not gonna attend then upvoting it, is purely to stoke a negative reaction.

What should’ve been done is either the guild stays in or goes out with cause to create as little deterrence as possible not make it appear like an obvious boycott.

Well, they’re signing up for the event as presented - if the content of the event changes to the point that a group feels that they can’t attend (ie. if they have a large majority of members who simply would not log on for roleplay with X group) what should they do then? I think talking with the organiser and then dipping is not the worst outcome. Ultimately for a GM their responsibility is to their guild’s enjoyment first and to a temporary event chain second

You’re kind of giving me a hollow platitude - “just stay + be chill lol” isn’t really as groundbreaking a piece of advice as you think

I think the upvoting is pointless but ultimately also doesn’t matter. It’s a number that signifies very little to the point that you can give yourself 200 likes personally with minimal effort. Who honestly cares if ten dudes press a like button on something

Sure, I agree - but I think a post saying “we’re pulling out” isn’t as violent a reprisal as you’re posting here. Would it be better that they vanish wordlessly and then have the event have completely different number balance than expected? From the PoV of someone who has run many campaigns, no. I think they could have made some big drama post instead and that would have been way more damaging / unpleasant

FTR I don’t have a great insight into the nature of this drama / am not personally involved so I’m speaking in general terms here

3 Likes

When leading guilds the prospect of ambiguity and leaving generally does more damage than good.

And it’s just the same with events, you know that. When a member leaves and writes a big long statement saying how they hate the guild, most people are gonna rub off badly with that and it’ll ultimately damage the person leavings own image.

So to strike a balance, if you were leaving a guild, you’d want people to ask why, and yes my solution doesn’t exactly cover that entirely, but it still gives more ground for the event to continue with as minimal deterrence as possible.

So to continue, if said member leaving would type, I can’t go on with this. And leaves the guild, members will be curious and ask why, and follow up with a whisper. Which could lead to a far more controlled way of stoking some animosity into said guild, as a 1 to 1 is far more personal.

In the case of the forums, it’s gonna be players that are browsing the forums which ultimately choose to opt out simply because others have upvoted a sentence which is saying I’m not going. It’s a dominos effect.

Again you can use the reverse on if you want to popularise a guild, it’s the same logic, if players are posting how amazing a guild is, obviously people are gonna want to get involved. If players say nothing, the people attracted will be primarily focused on the concept and prospect of roleplay. But if you get a snarky 1 sentence saying not for me, which outweighs the popularity of the guild concept, it’s gonna minimalise the interest.

So you think that they should have made a massive deal of it / posted a massive rant instead? I don’t agree. I think that would have made that thread a 200 page Argent Dawn weekend forum drama masterpiece - whereas now the thread has basically moved on without much impact

For sure - but what should they have done here? Left wordlessly and left it as a surprise for the organiser come the start date?

If only it was the Papa John’s effect instead

1 Like

i don’t think we’ve read the same forum posts in this regard.

2 Likes

The Role-Play Realm is the ultimate litmus test for whether a person is capable of self-governing.

When you aren’t interested in Role-Play, picking a normal realm instead of a Role-Play one is an easy, convenient task and one which we all recognize as the correct, appropriate thing to do. To not roll on a RP realm as a non-RPer is objectively right. There are no situations other than dire lack of knowledge in which a non-RPer rolls on a RP realm. Simultaneously, it is not illegal to roll on an RP realm as a Non-RPer. Therefore a role-play realm presents itself as the apex example of whether a person will do what is right without being forced to do it. No one will punish you as a non-RPer if you roll on an RP realm, no one will suspend or ban you if you keep playing on it without an interest in RP and you gain nothing from rerolling to another realm. You must not roll on an RP realm as a non-RPer out of the goodness of your own heart. You must not roll on an RP realm as a non-RPer because it is the right thing to do. Because it is correct.

A person who is unable to do this is no better than an animal, an absolute savage who can only be made to do what is right by threatening them with law and the force that stands behind it.

The Role-Play Realm is what determines whether a person is a good or bad member of society.

3 Likes

I can say with certainty that as a relatively newcomer to AD (april 2018 I think? Just a little before the BfA prepatch) the only influence old names had on my rp was to be taken in the old ooc beefs of the guild I joined. Knowing untel or unetelle had been playing years before changed absolutly nothing for me.

10 Likes

If they’d done that, it’d be at the cost of their own image. You know that just as well as I do, 200 word essays are good when the time is right.

They should’ve told the host that they were leaving and why, and left it at that, or they should of had some level of integrity and not attempt to impose some embargo on the event. I feel like you agree with me on all these points.

But then again it’s just a Galfordian move, right?

There’s no embargo on the event, you’re just malding about some guild names you dislike

5 Likes

You’re living in some fantasy world if you think there’s an embargo.

A few guilds didn’t want anything to do with an attending guild, failed to convince the organizers, and then left without naming names or pointing fingers.

Nothing more than this happened.

2 Likes

I actually don’t mind any of the guilds including Ortellus’s (who I still hold a great sentiment of respect for, the individual)

Why are you so sure it would be at the cost of their own image? Maybe you know more about this than me (as the CEO of Lordain news)

I think it isn’t a huge war crime to say “x guild is no longer attending” - it can even be a good thing. Maybe there are people who will sign up in their stead based on that information ie. if there was a campaign I was interested in that was attended by a group I wasn’t interested in RPing with and they posted that they’re pulling out, I’d be pretty fast to post a signup I think

You feel incorrectly - I think you are posting largely hollow posts that don’t really lead anywhere and then adding “but 
 I am sure you agree” based on me agreeing with some very basic permises scattered therein

So it would seem

The point is that really these situations are not as cut and dry as forum talking heads like yourself might want them to be - with the conflict between not wanting to balkanise the server into small communities hostile to one another and the instrinsic right for people to choose who they RP with based on what they find fun being at the heart of it

2 Likes

This. So many times this. Also, I don’t think most guilds pull out of campaigns and events lightly. We all know that it takes a lot of time and effort to make all the pieces fall into place and we’d hate for anyone’s work to have been in vain.

I can stomach being in a campaign with someone I don’t particularly like, but some times it goes way beyond simply disliking someone. Argent Dawn does have some genuinely bad eggs who are serial harassers, sex pests and the like. If arrangers are okay having people like that at their events, I certainly feel no obligation to stick with them and even less obligation to not make a fuss when I leave.

9 Likes

Just basic communication, conflict resolution and defusing/sorting out misunderstandings would be so healthy but would we even recognise it as AD afterwards?

Perhaps if it were in a fantasy world where you’d be able to disassociate initial views, stating I won’t join x or y, removing your support and your friends doing the same alongside what looks to be a guild kick aswell doesn’t exactly invoke positivity lol. It’s opening for my way or the high way, or just petty drama and faction building.

The only person making an ounce of drama over it is you. Not even the campaign host is this bitter or even upset as you are.

5 Likes