Unpopular Opinions

Strengthen ego and self-importance. That is what these things are about when it comes to the Alliance, looking at every past war council so far. I say Alliance cus I have no experience with any Horde counterpart cus I’ve not been involved in horde rp-pvp :slight_smile:

1 Like

My personal issue with the RP-PvP campaigns I had attended so far (only a few) is that people seem to care more about wining and being ultra competitive rather than cooperating with their allies and enemies to create a wonderful and fun RP for all to enjoy. I don’t know why that is, but it was very prevalent recently and I strongly believe that such mentality is detrimental to the RP and it limits the possibilities that’s the campaign provides.

Just my personal opinion.

3 Likes

The concept of faction balance in the form of signups didn’t practically exist back in the day, and the plots in both Ashes & Borderlands was purely made for the Alliance with the Horde being the faceless dummies for the alliance.

There was also quite nasty stuff happening between guilds, lots of OOC vitriol not dissimilar to the chook’s event in Northrend a while ago.

Also yeah the neutrals

Yeah but did stuff like

Ever happen on Alliance side? I don’t remember a single instance given the amount of OOC bickering between the blue team in that campaign while the Horde side were all :handshake: let’s get this bread gang

I don’t mind being the underdog in campaigns as long as something interesting is done with it. Giving up because you’re being beaten just makes the situation worse. The Horde won the Ogrepowered campaign recently despite being grossly outnumbered by playing the Alliance with better tactics and sneaking around with a small group to steal their Azerite while the Alliance tried to zerg our base and ignoring all campaign mechanics.

Speaking as someone who exclusively played Horde up until 2017 when it came to campaigns (not counting pre-2014 campaigns in which I did play ally), this isn’t entirely the case.

Horde often suffered from bickering to the point where a lot of the attendees would pack their bags and quit right at the beginning or in the middle. Take the Krasarang campaign for example, where the Irontusk Vanguard got into an argument with the Rotgarde which ended up with Irontusk Vanguard (and some of their allies) immediatly packing up and going back to Orgrimmar.

The same happened in Darkshore where again a number of Horde individuals got into arguments with the organisers (the infamous Kuryna incident) which lead to Horde losing numbers.

These instances are as recent as Veil of Winter, where a number of Horde attendees left over the frost troll incident, and the Redridge campaign where Vorathel’s guild (and friends) decided they should leave a few days earlier because they didn’t like the plans of the organisers.

There’s more examples, and most of them can be summarized to orc or blood elf guilds not liking the look of things and vanishing. I think you’re unaware of these instances Telaryn because you weren’t part of those groups, and you never took an organiser role (to my knowledge).

4 Likes

I’ve had plenty of awesome experiences playing blue-side during RP-PVP too. Having the Westfall Brigade Camp raided and ourselves forced out by a Horde offensive was awesome, as our shattered units tried to regroup in the confusion.

That being said, my best memories probably come from getting involved in guerrilla warfare in the woods of Grizzly Hills with the Rotgarde and Queteron’s crazy Pandaren priest vs the Alliance.

And I’ll never forget Necropolis wars, but I fought on both sides for that. :eyes:

I’ve come to learn from talking to people who actively have taken the role of organisers in the past that it’s a pathway to hating the realm even more. Ignorance is bliss sometimes when you’re only seeing things on the ground level.

But also I’ve never been part of a group that has left a campaign prematurely, yeah. Ride or die friends.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGS

Truly the greatest moment of Red August.

[yells incoherently about horde devilry]

But seriously that night was great for RP.

I actually didn’t mind Red August at all. Aside from the violent fit of rage from you know who it was highly enjoyable. The aftermath of being raided at our base was also pretty cool (when we weren’t observing the forums).

1 Like

I read the latest campaign topic. Is this how it usually goes?

• Organiser opens signups
  • Alliance guilds pile in to sign up
  • Organiser closes Alliance signups until more Horde have signed up
  • More Alliance guilds sign up anyway
  • Some Horde guilds sign up
  • Even more Alliance guilds sign up anyway
  • Organiser catches flak for how they are organising the campaign
7 Likes

This was also highly enjoyable though. That campaign really had it all.

1 Like

Oh yeah the forums were very entertaining but I was more focusing on the actual RP!!

Small brain - RPing for a good story

Big brain - RPing to win

Ascended brain - RPing for the forum drama

16 Likes

Was Ashes the one where the Alliance had necromancers raising Skeletons from the Path of Glory? I just recall that being a thing in a campaign way back. Also iirc most Horde guilds bailed on it until it was just two BElf guilds Vs the entire Alliance playerbase. But this was years ago and my memory is vague so I could be mistaken.

I also recall in an Arathi campaign or some such Alliance piled on PvP gear when they started losing. I did the same as a response (as Horde) and immediately got several whispers from referees that seemingly had one eye shut that day.

Not much seems to have changed since then in my experience.

Sami-late, but.

It’s true that a lot of Horde guilds have often dropped out of sight when it came down to agreeing to specific terms, however in my experience that has [most of the time] been accompanied by some sort of a story element, or at least it has been presented like that.

Saurok/Krasarang is my best example. Nearing the final days of the campaign House Rivorndir and a select few other guilds decided to leave considering IC circumstances (such as ‘we did what we “secretly” came here for’), either how the war was going or just leadership (despite having a chair in the war council/mods). The Alliance side, though?

I don’t think any direct participants will anytime soon forget the coup de grace by Thunderbraid shattering the mightily-bad & disfunctional military ‘council’ the Alliance established with a final agreement for the explosive finale (agreement, if tenuous). The Alliance side of the campaign was largely non-existent until the Highborne/dwarves happened, to my knowledge.

Horde isn’t all peace and rainbows, but Alliance has it aprox. 73% worse.

1 Like

Ah yes “councils”. I’ve noticed for years there seems to be three tiers of RP occurring in any campaign. The guild leader tier who spend their time bickering in “councils” for power that they’ll never get because it belongs to the campaign organiser. The grunt tier that consists of the sweaty masses who get on with their own RP while waiting for the Organiser to corral the wannabe Napoleons on the “Council”. And the final tier is that one guild who supposedly is part of the campaign but never partakes in any of the campaign events and spends all their time off in a corner of the zone doing their own completely separate thing.

1 Like

Since Ashes of Draenor guilds on the Horde have simply packed up their toys and gone home if things don’t go their way. Thankfully it’s usually one or two small guilds and usually the same folk. It’s arguably more “graceful” than the pseudo-IC-OOC politics and flex plays that the Alliance seems to suffer from.

5 Likes

22 Likes

Why can’t we just get along :frowning:

I had fun in DoW. But I was in Tirisfal. And not on forums. Or group discords. Maybe that’s why.

Only terrible thing was the lag.

Bonus points: I’m from DB, so I’m used to Alliance being the ones who are steamrolled. Actually winning is like culture shock.