Video driver crash in World of Warcraft with AMD video cards (7900 XTX) on DirectX 12

Curiously enough, I upgraded to driver 23.12.1 today and didn’t crash a single time tonight while playing on DX12. On the old drivers I crashed at least once an evening on DX12, usually much more often.

EDIT: Nvm, still crashing.

Nothing changed with new update. Retail and Classic Era in my case has to be launched on DX11 and can’t swap to DX12 soz game crash. WoTLK works normally on DX12 without crashes etc. I don’t know what is happening but it’s a joke that 1 client work’s normally and two are failing.

Specs:
CPU: 5800X3D
MOBO: MSI B550 PRO
GPU: RX 7800 XT
RAM: Goodram IRDM 32GB

Then it must be an Blizzard issue and not AMD drivers…

It’s a Blizzard issue friend.
They need to fix it sooner rather than later.

1 Like

Ok so my issue is “fixed”. When I start WoW.exe via Battle.net I just let it run and after couple of minutes it started :smiley: so my problem was probably after new patch and it want to start cinematic on the beginning or something…I did not have crushes during the game so maybe this help to somebody…Blizzard has to fix it because it happens on both brand of cards…

Not this (profanity) again. Yesterday I started to notice some stutter and freezes while playing in the Dream, so checked the video card update and saw a 23.12.1 update for AMD, so installed it. I am using an AMD Radeon RX 6600.

Today I am trying to start the game and it froze like it did before the fix after the latest 10.2 patch. I can’t help but wonder if Blizzard just loathes us AMD users. Why are we having to face these issues constantly?

Start it and let it run couple of minutes even nothing happens, it will start. at least for me. After first long run it’s starting instantly.

1 Like

It did start eventually, yes. Thank you for the heads up. But it is something recurring and needs to be investigated.

For sure! in my opinion it will be something very silly in graphic settings connected to card drivers because for me it happened after upgrade drivers to 23.12.1 like to you. I do not have any experiences with crushing during the gaming.

It did crash before when the last major patch came out and we were forced to start it on DX11. After an hour or a half, it started to use too much memory and crashed. When Zaralek came out there were massive stutters and freezes. And always for people with AMD cards. I started to have those sorts of stutters and microfreezes yesterday so I was like, probably it needs an update.

Ok, it looks like classic started on DX12, had to w8 around min or smth like that to swap to DX12 and login. After 10 minutes of wait, retail started with DX12. Will keep updates if game start to crash again

Same issue here. Switched from an RTX2060 to an RX7800XT and now i’m experiencing this as well. It’s happening during some spell casts of either myself or mobs/bosses, and i think it’s related to particles.

So Blizzard is nog going to fix this? Getting tired having to force the game to run DX11

Problem: DX12, Game freezes black screen / Discord crashes.
“Display driver amduw23g stopped responding and has successfully recovered.”
Seems making a paging file on the wow install drive is working for me also 7900xtx. No driver timeout for me on DX12 for 30 hours gameplay. Before I got them 1-2 times every hour

Advanced system settings > Under Performance: Settings > under Virtual memory: Change > Select the drive WOW is located on > System manged size and press set.

I keep the current paging file on my C drive so now I have 2. One on my C drive and one on my D drive where my wow folder is located.

wow is on my c drive and windows 10 default has a pagefile on c.
windows defaults my pagefile to 36GB (32GB sys ram)
Still issues.

Wierd. The paging file on D drive completely fixed my issues 32 hours keys and raid now no crashes.

Been over a month since this issue popped up and we still have no resolution, crazy.

Extremely frustrating that people keep posting about completely different issues and these pseudo fixes, that clearly have nothing to do with it. And still not a word from Blizzard, even when this is the most replied to thread on the forums, both in EU and NA…

1 Like

Hello, I am a French gamer and I have exactly the same problems mentioned above (I have a 7800x3D and a 7900 xtx), there is really a problem with AMD, the driver crashes randomly followed by a black screen and it comes back after 10 15 seconds, a horror when you are in raid or in pvp, I tried a lot of things and nothing worked, I sent a 100th AMD report and still nothing to fix this problem… Can you seriously look into this case? Many of us are waiting for a fix, thank you in advance! (sorry for my poor english)

2 Likes

So im back again. Honestly i don’t know where problem is. More feedback from me.

1. WoTLK work fine since new PC without any problems, and work still. No crashes etc at all, even after playing entire night
  2. Classic on the other hand didn’t work on DX12 at all after last patch it started on DX12 but we back to random crashes. They not as frequent as some people but random af. Yday got crash casually running thru Ashenvale and bum. No problems during PvP event.

This is starting to get annoying especially we have zero answer from blizzard in that matter.