Video driver crash in World of Warcraft with AMD video cards (7900 XTX) on DirectX 12

I’m having the exact same issue with the game crashing when playing classic SoD wow. It’s when it happens during a dungeon or a battleground that’s frustrating. It’s been happening for over a month now and there’s still no fix, when the driver time-out happens my discount and my Corsair i-cue programs crash in the same time.

well … the issue came back …

on BOTH retail / Classic
I can not launch the game on dx12 , game is crashing

1 Like

hahahaha

hahahhahahahaha

Your reply doesn’t help friend.
Keep it to yourself next time.

4 Likes

Same issue for me with rx 7900 xt and directx12, the only way for now to play is to launch the game in directx11.

Same issue has been happening since the 10.2 patch.

AMD 7900 XTX, 5900x processor. It’s been perfect for all this time until that latest patch hit, and then these occasional driver crashes will absolutely wreck me and driver resets. It’s been at times repeating in specific places, like the cave in Emerald Dream where you find Shandris during a questline. Sometimes it happens in raid, sometimes a dungeon. This is just very frustrating. I am paying for the gametime and it’s sub-optimal to play. Playing with DX11 is not ideal either. I am hoping the solution can be found in decent time, this eats into any motivation to play.

Latest crash galore is with trying to do old Siege of Orgrimmar, the entrance hall with water elementals is crash galore to no end.

Dear Blizzard!
I upgraded my gpu from Nvidia 3070 to a 7900 XTX and the amd driver is timing out randomly, even if im just stainding in valdrakken the game crashes for a few second then come back. There is no fix situation when this occurs. WoW is the only one game that im playing and met this problem. Other games like Call of Duty, New World, Avatar Frontiers of Pandora that have higher system req. is not crashing. Could you please answer our questions and fix the problem?

2 Likes

Having the same issue with NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
I keep crashing after ~30mins after starting up my PC and logging into the game for the first time, but if I restart the PC I’ll be able to play 3+ hours without any issues before it crashes.
I use dx11, but the same crash happens with dx12.
Drivers are up to date.
Repair and scan has been done.
Memory test has been done with no issues.
PC isn’t heating up.
It’s only Wow, other games work fine.

It ALWAYS crashes discord at the same time, which I find odd. If discord is closed, wow will still crash, so it can’t be discord causing it either.

I tested if it’s just wow or if it affects other games as well and it doesn’t. I had a couple of other games (such as Sea of Thieves and/or final fantasy) open at the same time, and it’s always just wow that crashes while the other games have no issues and continue to run smoothly without any fps drops or freezing issues. Sometimes the freezing is so bad that the screen just goes black and I’m unable to do anything. Sounds still work though.

The freezes & crashes happen everywhere, not just in dungeons. Only restarting the PC will fixes the issue… for a few hours.

This issue started with the latest patch.

1 Like

I had the same problems with my 7900xt and a 7800x3d.

My pc ran 10 months without problems in WOW 2-3 weeks ago it started with the driver timeout.

I have tried all the steps listed here.

Reinstalling the drivers didn’t help older versions of the Adrenaline software and just installing the drivers without the Adrenaline software didn’t change anything.

Had high hopes in the beginning when I turned off Freesync and was able to play for about an hour until I timed out again. I turned Freesync back on and tried switching it to DX11 and it didn’t work, timeouts again.

What solved the problem for me is the change in the graphics options from automatically recognizing the graphics card to my 7900xt, since then I have no more timeouts and I can play with DX12.

I have the same problems 7900xt. Atleast acknowledge that you still working on a fix to the issue.

Hey. i dont have any issue since i disabled MPO in windows. Give it a try guys.

My subscription is running out in 1 month, never again will i subscribe to wow unless Blizzard fully compensates me, nothing but ignorance from Blizzard oh hey its a driver issue well guess what, i am still paying subscriber this is Blizzard issue to fix Nvidia is not the way its meant to be played and that was clear when issues like this started happening on NVIDIA gpu’s.

Im not paying jackpot just to play this game, heck im never gonna pay anything ever again to play this game.

Not an option that breaks HDR

How mpo is comes to hdr? :smiley:

Whenever I’ve had this same flickering issue, it’s been because of DirectX12. Switching to DirectX11 fixes it. The game seems to randomly reset the default setting to DirectX12 sometimes. Had this issue since BfA and it just never gets fixed.

“Multiplane Overlay (MPO) allows for multiple framebuffers to be composited via fixed-function hardware in the display controller rather than using graphics or compute shaders for composition . This can yield some power savings if it means the graphics/compute pipelines can be put into low-power states.”

I tried switching it from automatically recognizing the graphics card to my actual graphics card as well, and that seems to have done the trick. Haven’t crashed a single time today.

EDIT:
Nevermind. I still had a gigantic freeze, which also crashed discord at the same time.

No its a shader issue if you clear shaders it is fixed, so in this case its an NVIDIA issue but the game runs like trash on dx11, for RT dx12 is also required these days

Wow has always handled shader compiling the wrong way it still does it, the game freezes on first time startup on dx12

The game is a complete joke right now.

I never cleared the shaders, i disabled every single adrenalin options in graphics and display tab, disabled mpo and start and run like before.

Does not fix the issue, nothing to do with it.

Its just this game, Blizzard has cheaped out why code game for small amount of users only like small percentage is on AMD rest is on NVIDIA just let AMD fix it am i right Blizzard clearly not game issue, never mind that we are paying customers.