"We hope to see healthy population for Classic Era"

You need to wait for the hype and newness of TBC to wear off, and then people will come back to Vanilla. That will be a fair few months at least.

It was entirely unavoidable having ghost towns, even if they merged every server. Why is it so hard for people to grasp this?

You and indeed myself just have to wait for people to exhaust TBC content. Some will move back full-time, and I’m guessing most will alternate between the two.

1 Like

Sorry but it’s a failed logic. We don’t argue on the fact that more players will join after the hype of tbc will calm down a bit but we’ll never have an healthy population if there are that many clusters. Now the best solution is to merge the clusters like described in the original post of this thread in order to improve the situation. The main issue is that the era community is too divided at the moment. For sure we won’t reach big population numbers but at least it will allow us to play and organize ourselves.

4 Likes

There is more content in Vanilla, as in effective content. Remember Blizzard’s approach to expansions even with the first was to obsolete all previous content.

Far more zones, far more levels. I would argue Vanilla has more lastability, which is why by far the most numerous private servers are pre-expansions. Yes, you have to do 1-60 in the expansions as well but it most certainly feels disconnected because the ‘real’ place to be is 60-70 or 70-80, by nature of design they feel almost like a different game. Indeed I’d argue they could even be called psuedo-sequels as they focus the game on the new ten levels, and don’t expand the overall game at all.

Ultimately I would bet the population of Vanilla will be higher than TBC or future Wrath (again exluding the honeymoon periods).

1 Like

I’m not sure if this is viable but if so, they should extend the connection also between PvP/PvE realms in a way that [Player A] from the PvP one can still see [Player B] from the PvE one but the latter can’t be flagged for pvp and be able to retain his neutrality if he choose so, while the former can’t since he’s tecnically on his PvP realm.

I’m not saying we just need one big clustered realm for PvP and PvE, but if they gave us at least 2 or 4 (yes, PvP and PvE being able to see each others) we would still achieve the healthy population of an average realm when the launch happened.
This would allow us to play with more people without sacrificing the peculiarity of our realm types.

Also, they should completely remove the restriction to be able to transfer one way only from PvP to PvE realms since it’s too much drastic in my opinion, because if worse happens at least you could still transfer back later on.

On a side note about this aspect, I always do remind myself that Blizzard is no more since all their main devs have left for happier shores. now it’s just Activision… and I have no hope left that they’ll do anything about anything we suggested so far.
I’m saying so because they deviated on purpose regarding many common sense decisions that should have been done to keep the game in line with the “feeling” and “faithfulness” of vanilla [e.g. progressive itemization, 8 debuff slots for Ony and MC, 1.5 AV, old epic mounts models etc…]

I played on Bloodywars Reset/Nostalrius/Elysium/Light’s Hope (Zeth’Kur>Lightbringer) then quit when the Classic announcement happened to save some hype, and I can honestly tell that even if a new random pserver arose tomorrow, it will likely do 10x times a better job than Blizzard/Activision ever did with Classic.

I’m not surprised now that TBC Classic is out Activision took the opportunity quickly to bank hard on that since they “technically” couldn’t openly do that before, otherwise the whole community would have eaten them alive.

Despite all of this I’m still enjoing playing on the Classic Era realms but if you want to know why I won’t play on TBC Classic, you should check Carbot’s latest video "This is World of WarCraft" and you’ll know why then…

3 Likes

I’m definitely against this suggestion. On PvE servers we are already confronted enough with people jumping PvP flagged in front of you, provoking and insulting you just as they have 2-3 stealthed mates in the back just to hope you have the guts to attack them to leach some honor as they are bored or what not. I already see the same thing happening with players stemming from PvP servers. Besides that, I also think that the current game does not support that option at all.

What? And you allow these trolls and gankers to define your preferences?
Unbelievable.
If a person cannot control his pvp tag this sounds like a person that belong on retail.

Through hundreds of pvp provocations in pve mode I have never, even accidentally entered pvp mode. And that is with rogues and whatnot of smelly things doing ther best at being my target.
I have had to adapt my playstyle completely and forget that right clicking to attack mobs exist.
The players provocating this type of PVP are griefers and should be punished for their actions. They have no balls for real pvp and are just scum.

Like a pvp enabled rogue on my realm that found it fun to follow miners around, cut into their mining node and hold onto it while spamming /chicken to provoke an attack. For hours. It was a true pleasure to have this reported by a guildie and come roflpwn it. Of course he is right back to his degenerate activities and I am not wasting my time playing further with such trash. If I wanted that I would have rolled on a pvp server.

2 Likes

Currently, on classic-era, due to the PvE server not being connected at all, with a current active playerbase of 10-15 players per faction and sinking, you hardly stumble across a player, regardless of the faction, at all. But on TBC, which I was talked into, I noticed this behavior already a couple of times. Especially after arena opened people behave way more aggressive than before, IMO.

And btw, even if you report them, Blizzard hardly takes action on that. I.e. I have druid alt that I named after a city in Turkey unknowingly. I received a bunch of quite insulting messages in Turkish. I don’t know that language so I asked two of my guildmates separately who do if they could translate the message. Well, they not only insulted me, my mother and the rest of my family but everyone that inteacts with me. I reported this player each and every time he sent me one of those messages, roughly 5-10 times, and till this day, this player is playing WoW in one of those wannabe-pro speed-run guilds. This is just a prove that Blizzard does not take action on those reports unless many players report this player. Automatic system is automatic system.

You trying to make it sound like a good thing with dead realms?

I get your point, and I agree connecting pve and pvp is far from optimal, it’s just the situation we are in where upholding restrictions is upholding dead realms. The largest pve connection barely have the numbers to thrive. And from what I can tell pvp servers are in an even worse position. I would put my bet on that at least 90% of current classic era population would want new connections to sprout life into the game.

As PVE player, PVP players should be the least of your concern. It’s the same as when in an instance, you don’t tab and right click all over the place. You know you will mess something up.

1 Like

No?! I am all for lively servers with enough players to do every aspect of the content - including outdoor PvP if both parties are submitted to. Though I don’t want toxic players, ones that provoke and insult others to “convince” them to do PvP just to have a laughter at these “fools”. And I do see this as a problem for PvP players facing PvE ones. They can’t prevent players from mining a resource except for standing right into the node itself so that casual PvE players accidentally right-click the PvP guy and the story is written …

Basically what the OP is asking for is to turn all PvP servers into PvE ones and each player from a former PvP server activates his PvP flag by default. In general I would classify PvP players as much more competitive driven than PvE or RP players, probably also with “better” control of their character and more insight knowledge about certain mechanics. Also, what is the sense after all when PvE players are heading for their dungeon and PvP players can’t interact with those to prevent them reaching their goal. The whole purpose of PvP is circumvented that way.

You already have this toxic behavior on PVE realms. I’m reporting the same behavior from RP-PVE, can only imagine how RP-PVP is in this regard.

Much can be said how players would behave in such an environment as proposed. If such a realm were created I can imagine the first period of time would be quite the quarrel between pve and pvp players, but it would quickly diminish and go back to how it was with just the usual suspect, albeit in larger numbers. They also have a larger number of players to grief so chances that you are the one being griefed is heavily reduced by the numbers.

And yes blizzard do not, and cannot just ban left and right. The community however, are good at profiling the primary rats and they will find their life in wow lonely unless grouping up with likeminded, that are in such short supply and of such chaotic personalities that they wouldn’t get a satisfying dungeon/raid experience. These players are not tolerant toward the pug nature.

Soon enough they will be so outgeared they only dear prey on players 50-59. And that says everything about them.

Yes we do, but with players from PvP then joining this number will go up notably compared to the usual number noticable on PvE servers.

Sounds good on paper but does not hold up to its promises in the real (or virtual) world. Maybe that player just don’t like Turkish people, maybe he is Kurdish or has some other racisist motives and hence plenty of other people don’t ever get to see this side of his/her face? I don’t know. All I know is that Blizzard stores each and every whisper and conversation you did for at least one year, which you can request to get a copy of just in case you didn’t know, and reports for insultation shouldn’t be treated by an automatic system but need individual processing. What if one posts death-threats to an other player? This is already enough reason to take legal measures.

That is just an assumption you make. What I noticed is that those players are usually over-competitive and rush through content. These guys therefore usually obtain the best gear currently possible to have way before you or the typial casual and more relaxed players ever get a grip on those items.

There are more green/blue geared gankers than there are epic geared gankers. The epic gankers tend to try and maintain ther rep while the green/blue is there solely to grief and couldn’t care less about anything else.

You are making a huge deal out of nothing, or something that’s already there.

1 Like

I’m not making a big deal of it at all. I just state my sentiment based of my experience of playing WoW for more than 17 years. There is a reason why PvE and PvP and to some extend RP servers were separated this far.

For a PvP player, PvE players are basically just Dungeon bots or Raid fillers. They can’t really interact with PvE players of the other faction in the open world other than provoking them into combat. And at some point I definitely see little 18 year old Kevin insulting 60 year old grand-dad of 3 Maximilian to force him into some gameplay Max clearly is uncomfortable with. While this already happens on PvE servers, adding PvP players to the soup will definitely not(!) reduce these occurences.

Similar to the request of joining all language realms together I don’t see the ultimate benefit of joining groups of players together that don’t really want to interact with each other. I.e. what is the purpose of putting Germans and Russians together? Sure, it may leave a more lively picture of players running through Orgrimmar/Stormwind/… though in the end, those groups are separate by intent. If it is just for the sake of having more items in the AH or more potential “customers”, I don’t have anything against connecting the AH on all realms together. Though I don’t see a benefit, groupwise, if Germans don’t want to play with Russians as they don’t speak the same language. Translated to the PvE/PvP discussion, PvE and PvP players have a different mindset and a different take on how to play the game that may ultimately lead to plenty of frustration and insultation.

1 Like

You make it sound like all PVP players are toxic and like no PVE players can PVP.

You don’t have PVP on. Stop giving attention to the griefers maybe? They never linger for more than 5 minutes before looking for a new target, but oops they don’t have to look. The server is full of people that actually have PVP enabled.

You want a safe bubble. You already have it with PVP disabled. This is not a single player game.

1 Like

And again, this so called “safe bubble” only last as long as you don’t by accident right click on a PvP flagged player of the other faction. As mentioned, not every player plays on the same skill level. On our PvE server plenty of players still don’t know about the /LFG, do you really think those players will use other actions than right clicking the resource node to harvest it? Be a bit more realistic here.

There is a reason for the separation, there is also a reason why PvE players were not allowed to transfer onto PvP servers (the opposit was possible though). So, now all of a sudden, just for the sake of seeing a couple more toons in Orgrimmar or Stormwind you may or may not group with, all of them should be thrown together. As mentioned, from the perspective of a PvP server the open-world PvP doesn’t change that much except for players they can’t attack naturally when they pass by or harvest resources. Why do PvP guys then need PvE guys of the other faction in the open-world? The only interaction is by forcing them into PvP in some way and this is often times not what PvE players usually aim for. Also, the open-world experience isn’t enriched for PvE players also as they now may have to pay more attention on what they are clicking on instead of brain-afk running through the world, reading forum posts or watching YT videos.

1 Like

By the light how could anyone be held accountable for their actions. Naturally everyone else should be.

So, yeah, that was a lie.

Every couple of days I keep coming over the forum in hope Blizz decided to make some changes. Should I just charge-back my character copies?

I wonder whether you can sue Blizzard for false advertising or even fraud on this one to “politly” ask them to get active and improve the game for the left-over players. It’s like selling a broken car as a functioning one to a customer and hoping they will buy the motor block that may fix the issue later on (this could be a TBC copy or the monthly fees till they eventually fix the current situation).

PvP and PvbE should be kept separate. I was followed (crowded) all through sever zones by PvP enabled of the opposite faction while questing. Them only hoping for me to use and AoE so that they could take damage and attack me. I had to remove my AoE from the bars so as not accidentally use them. It was not a ont-time thing, but on a PvE server it did not happen often.
This kind of merge would ruin the servers for RPers and PvEers.