What happened to player attitude?

I don’t know if i’m just remembering Vanilla with rose tinted glasses but I always remember the players being a lot friendlier than they are in Classic.

I’ve come across quite a few players who just have a really awful attitude and would rather mock you than help you. For example I was getting repeatedly ganked in Felwood and rather than help the people I asked just mocked me, or in some cases demanded gold for help. On another occasion I was fighting a player from the opposing faction and rather than help me a player from my faction just let me die as I had a tag on one of the multitude of mobs they were farming.

Has player attitude really changed so much over the years or has it always been this way and i’m just not remembering vanilla correctly?

10 Likes

Well it’s kinda mix up people there. Many elite or newcomer from retail joined wow so dont expect much of a Al classico…

2 Likes

For a long time I thought it was age related but I learnt that its actually not the case at all. What it really is is that there are some nice people out there and there are some utter scum sucking pus buckets…and thats all there is to it.

We want so hard to believe everything was wonderful when we’re being nostalgic :slight_smile:

13 Likes

is the same as back then. didnt change one bit 99.5% of my encounters are friendly and relaxed people.

9 Likes

In part, it’s to do with the age of the game and how it has been analyzed a million times.

You’re no longer a player trying to figure out his class, relying on help or advice from others, and a natural instinct of that the opposite faction are the baddies.

You’re a power-leveler using guides and addons to make it as efficient as possible, and know that the guy getting killed has nothing to really offer and that the 2.7% drop rate is low enough already during a 3 hour farm for a high gold/hour ratio.

That, combined with a me-me-me approach, elitist behaviour and much less of a social game for the last 15 years.

It sucks. But hey, sometimes it swings the other way. Some guy tried to get me to leave a farming spot (because god forbid a level 35 killing level 39 mobs slowing down the farming of a level 60 by about 5-10%), then he laughed and watched as I was attacked by a hordie.

I promptly resurrected, grinned at his lifeless corpse, and then laughed in his face as he got corpse camped by the same hordies.

3 Likes

I think that more people right now are nicer than in the old vanilla. It will surely change, it is human nature.

2 Likes

there are alot of fake nice people actually. they are nice because they know they will need the help from others later on.

humans in general are more toxic than 15 years ago

14 Likes

May be you’re playing on hardcore servers. Did not experience nothing like that.

It has always been like that. With regards to strangers:

• Some people are nice
  • Some people are naughty
  • Some people are mercurial and will be either nice or naughty depending on mood
  • Some people are mercenary and always ask, what’s in it for me?
  • Some people are negotiators and favour an even trade
  • Some people are merchants and favour an uneven trade in their favour
  • Some people are scum; right bastards who enjoy the misery of others. Fortunately, there are very few of these around, but members of the other groups can occasionally be mistaken for one of these
4 Likes

Unfortunately, 15 years have passed since WoW was released, and a lot have changed. You can tune back the game mechanics, but you can’t tune back to player’s attitude.

I’ve mostly been spared the vile attitude, just a few incidents now and then but nothing too severe. But we just have to accept that online communities have changed, and not to the better.

4 Likes

Because all the elitist boomers went to classic

1 Like

I don’t see much difference from what i remember, most are friendly, but there are always gonna be some a-holes. No place in internet can you expect to have 100% nice and friendly people all around.

1 Like

It is true, and so it usually is in real life, as it is called social competence. :smiley:

1 Like

yeah but the point is seeing it in a game is quite funny.

1 Like

Classic is also invaded by fast food gamers, so expect the fast food gamer attitude.

3 Likes

My experiences so far have been overwhelmingly positive.
It needs to be said, if everyone around you is a toxic idiot, then… you know…

1 Like

this mostly, people think it’s single player game now, only care about themselves and swear and whine about things if someone makes a small mistake.

Mine too, thankfully. But Classic has definitely been infected by the fast food gamers. It’s not Vanilla.

1 Like

They are powerleveling, going through dungeons day and night for 16 hours a day and then complain on the forums there is nothing to do in the game and hurry up with the new phases.

Those people hardly enjoy the game I think, part of the vanilla fun is the leveling, but they spend all their time in dungeons doing cleave groups

4 Likes