What happened to player attitude?

It’s a game populated by people

• a society - some folk are nice some not

I am leaning towards thinking there is an influential minority who think that being the ‘best’ is ultra important - that Classic
Could be a business - and these folk are mainly toxic

These are the guys that camp Qia for a 1g 20s recipe and put it on AH for 70g

As soon as Blizz open BG they will evaporate into WSG on their Twink a never to be seen again

Within 6 months - when they realise there will never be a classic gold token they will go back to Retail

4 Likes

I’ve met some really nice people (outside my old guild) in pugs, questing etc that I’ve added to friends list and played with several times. A lot of friendly people!

Having a great time and really feeling the helpful atmosphere. I play on a RP server. Might help?

3 Likes

People were just as toxic back then, people always will be when they are free of repercussions via online interactions. Only reason you are running into more toxic people now is there are way more players playing than in vanilla, especially the mega servers. If you play on a mega server you are bound to run into alot of really crappy people that are only in it for themselves.

It’s just rose-tinted nostalgia.
Player attitudes haven’t changed in the slightest.
The only thing I’ve seen less of (both good and bad) than in Vanilla is ganking, and that’s probably in part due to honor not being implemented yet.

i haven’t met any rude player in my classic experience so far.

The more you live and work with people in real life, you realise there are a lot of jerks out there and most people actually just put themselves before anyone else. I think it’s no different in games. Sadly people are getting more like this in our societies (especially the younger generations) and consequently we will see more of it online too. If you want something a little less different, try an RP realm. That’s why I always role on RP realms, of course there are some toxic people, but generally people seem more friendly. Don’t really know why. Possibly that those realms have seemingly nicer people and this attracts more like-minded folk (obviously not everyone, there are still loads of entitled, rude, unhelpful jerks on Zandalar Tribe RPPvP, but there seems to be less than regular realms. I just make an effort to avoid those people once they are identified!)

1 Like

It used to be a geeks PC game and I do think people were nicer when it came out. Now the xbox/PS console people are playing and they aren’t the true gamers in the old sense that came from the “old school” of PC games so they bring their “screw you” anti-social attitude from real life to gaming. I think you know the type of people I am talking about.

In other words, only the wheat used to play PC games now the chaff are playing too. That is why gaming has become so aggressive, bullying and dare I say it, toxic in the last 10 years.

I’m not saying nasty people didn’t play, just they were a lot rarer then.

1 Like

Yeah, gaming culture started with consoles, sunshine.
(well, technically arcades)

And PC gamers have always been just as bad or nice as other gamers.

1 Like

No it didn’t. It started long before that, on a computer the size of a car in the early 1960s I think. The term PC didn’t exist. The first “affordable” console was at least 10 years later.

Bad gamers were a lot rarer when multiplayer games first came out and most online games were PC based then, it wasn’t until the PS2 and xbox that online gaming came to consoles.

Gaming =/= gamer culture.
A giant computer running early versions of Pong might qualify as gaming (in a broad sense of the word), but it had nothing to do with gaming culture. That started with arcades, and continued with consoles.

And multiplayer games were just as toxic when they first came on PC as they are now. Only difference is the numbers. More people playing games = more toxic players.

2 Likes

Actually I would say the percentage of toxic players has increased a lot in the 15 years since Warcraft was launched, and before then with games like Counter Strike. Yes, the number of online players has increased by many millions but so has the percentage of toxic players.

I wrote a paper on computer gaming during my course, and that wasn’t like recent papers are, they took time and effort, no copy/pasting from wikipedia. The first game wasn’t pong, that was the first arcade machine which was around 10 years later.

Yeah, yeah, Space Battle or whatever it was called. Not the point.

The response is simple and really easy to understand : Zoomers (millenials), the evolution of all western society in the world since 2004 with technology so everyone think “I am a smart guy with more intellect that others”, and 15 years old game when everyone can think they are godtier because everything had already been theorycrafted 15 years ago.

2 Likes

Now that is accurate!
15 years ago, most had little to no clue what they were doing until they’d actually done it. Thottbot, Allakhazam, and Wowhead didn’t have all the answers, and people had to learn by doing.
Now people know the mechanics and quests months before they’re even released, or even since Vanilla, so they don’t need other players as much.

Players haven’t changed. But your patience and tolerance for toxic players probably has.
Not to mention that if you played in Vanilla, you’re probably at least 30 years old and stuff you thought was hilarious when you were 15 could just be annoying now.

1 Like

I must say, 99% of everyone I’ve had the fortune of grouping with have been amazing people =D So I have no clue what you are talking about =)

1 Like

Had no problem so far with bad attitudes but then only have a lvl 25 and this toon on classic so far. Have found people to be helpful with tricky to solo mobs or when you need to kill a named mob so just group up to get it done then go on your way.

Very comparable to the original WoW when it first launched. I’m sure there are some out there but not seen them yet. Just deal with them the same way you did back then. Happy days👍

Possibly people with an array of mental health health issues using memes to bury them. I usually feel sorry for a lot of people, you can tell who’s who.

Wow is a cheap escape, i wouldn’t even entertain the idea that the crème de la crème of humanity hang out here.

Attitudes we’re the same then too. Everyone has more fun / are happier in general when they’re exploring something new and exciting. Doesn’t take long for it to drag you down and only play for the addiction tho.

This community is a mix between sperges , crybaby’s, sociopaths, psychopaths but also alot of kind and friendly people. <3

1 Like

You have no place telling other people what if fun and what isnt fun.
It’s subjective, deal with it

Of course I don’t, I’m just saying they are ruining their own experience playing like that.

If they would really like that, they would level 8 alts to 60 as well in that way, however they don’t. They instantly stop playing as soon as they get near BiS, because they feel like there is nothing to do anymore.

1 Like