What is the easiest role among the three

You never healed high content or? Try Lady Waycrest on a necrotic tyranical week above +18 and tell me “its easy”. Healer is way harder than dps. If you play healer corectly obv.

That is why I am terrified of healing in 5 mans where I am the only healer.
Even in much less challenging content I picture the scenario where everyone does stupid things and get too much damage and it is somehow the healer to blame.

Let’s be honest, even with my gear they wouldn’t

People like the OP claiming healing is the easiest are also not healing waycrest +18 tyrannical with my gear :sweat_smile:

Beyond a certain point in the current iteration of wow DPS is no longer increased by skill or executing difficulty, it’s increased by itemisation and having the right setup. None of that is hard.

You can have two mages that make precisely the same plays as eachother and yet one will do twice the DPS of the other due to itemisation alone. So “not doing 100k” is not necessarily an indicator of people not playing their DPS to the highest level. Itemisation might be drawn out, but it’s not difficult. Several guides exist, and it’s just a case of equipping X over Y. And adjusting to Z talents on given mythic week. None of that is difficult to do unless you have the memory of a goldfish.

This is relevant for DPS because there’s no such thing as “wasted damage”. This gear directly increases your performance in a significant way. In some cases even if you perform your rotation suboptimally.

For healers there is such a thing as wasted healing. Gear increasing your potential throughout is only beneficial if you utilise it. 300k HPS in its own is worthless in a situation where the group is not taking that kind of damage. The healer must still play properly or the group will fail; if they fail to triage properly, dispel on time, save CDs for big dmg intake. Gear makes their triage go further, of course, but it does not trivialise what they must execute. A healer in Uber gear will have group members die if they’re too slow to respond for example.
The biggest benefits of gear to healers in mythic+ is actually that survivability and extra DPS to gives them more than the healing benefits. A good healer in poor gear can still perform well to a point (until their throughput hits a wall) but a poor healer in good gear will not succeed.

A bad DPS in good gear will not bring their group down and will still probably provide a healthy amount of DPS. A good DPS limited by their gear will only provide so much DPS, even if they make the run smoother overall.

Shadow lands will hopefully change this because this is largely a corruption problem. Corruption provides absolutely insane power levels from gear, the gap in DPS between 120s can be immense owed to gear alone, all other things such as skill being equal. No amount of corruptions will cause your targets to be automatically healed or “pre healed” for you. It might make responding quicker, but you still need to exercise vigilance assuming you’re in content that is appropriate for you.

1 Like

It’s still a fact

DPS is easiest, but is not less important than tank, or healer. Enrage timers made being good DPS more necessary than at the launch of this game .

Indeed but i wouldn’t classify it as difficulty. All roles have to itemise besides, it’s not unique to DPS, it’s just they get more benefits out of doing it properly.

But I would not call itemisation difficult. It’s time consuming and implies effort, but it’s not hard. It’s largely hoping X item drops and equipping it. What items drop for you has nothing to do with how well you play. This isn’t me belittling the effort of proper itemisation. I just don’t think that the fair to say that “skill” is what separates the very top of the DPS from the mid-upper tier, because that’s not true. It’s largely the top tier person has BIS itemisation and corruption and those below them don’t. They run exactly the same builds, essences, azerite and play identically however.

HPS is identical to this. The difference is raw HPS is not primarily what determines a healers potency, it’s only part of the equation. Their success is measured by stuff like well timed clutches, appropriate triage, timely dispels, DPS added. Much of this is not easily measured nor generated from gear.

This said, you certainly realise as a healer if your DPS are on the ball and obey affixes. It’s extremely noticeable. Despite this the healer imo still has more to contend with because generally speaking all mechanics in a dungeon work against their role (by dealing damage) and this includes all unavoidable mechanics as well as avoidance ones which the group takes on the chin. The healer is always busy (assuming the group isn’t doing trivial content) and always has to be “switched on”, and mistakes simply throw more complications their way (rather than strictly at those making the mistake).

I’m not sure of tank or DPS which is harder. Once a tank learns the routes and stuff a large amount of the difficulty of the role is gone, and they don’t deal with as many affixes as other roles (nor pick up their slack)

So assuming all group members know what they’re doing, I’d say hardest to easiest in mythic is:
Healer - DPS - Tank

If the group is less experienced overall I’d say:
Tank - Healer - DPS

Once a tank learns their craft their job is largely singular: follow the route and keep stuff on you. It’s a binary curve. DPS edge them out on difficulty because they bear responsibility for stuff like bolstering, explosive, bursting.

Difficult? Ofc not. All roles are braindead to some extent. They all got their own skill/gear/teamwork “cap” tho. Hence why we aren’t 1% players all of us

I take it that this topic refers to M+

The answer is subjective and may vary from person to person. Seeing as a majority of the answers is DPS, I think some people overlook the importance of DPS having to ourput the best damage to make sure that the key is in time, plus participating along with the tank to interrupts and CCs needed on mobs.

I play all roles. They can be labeled as “easy” based on the dungeon and the weekly affixes.

If you are picking a tank or healer, be prepared to receive toxic comments from DPS players that get oneshoted from ignoring the encounter mechanics. It happends mostly in M+ keys from 8 to 13 where people discover that the tank and healer can no longer carry with them ignoring the mecanics. And ofc, they will start pointing fingers on tank and healer.

Depends on the content. Tanking in raids is by far the easiest role, but tanking m+ is a different story.

• Choose who lives and dies. That one dps who won’t move because they’re burning a cooldown? Goodbye.

It’s not like I NEED to move during that combust anyways! 33% leech from lucid dreams OP.

1 Like

Tell that to the mage who was the only fixate target on the first boss in Boralus.

That leech didn’t help him much.

Silly mage… he should’ve combusted when the boss sat in a bomb and took increased damage.

I’m an MVP, though I love the idea that means I’m PvP enabled on the forums. It can feel like it some days :rofl:

You can read more about it here

Nor can you : https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/eu/kazzak/nightsting#difficulty=4

Visions do not count as there you get a lot of buffs and fight durations last within your initial burst - i.e. 150-175k is average boss damage my mastery stacked UH dk (read aoe build with lower single target) does in vision-masked runs, simply because fights are too short and UH dks do good burst when they are prepared for it. Also average ret paladin would laugh at those numbers either way. A paladin would burst those vision bosses down in lightspeed.

If you mean m+, then that 100k would depend on exactly if its tyrannical and if corruption procs or not and NONE to do how good you are, but if corruption procs and maybe it depends if you mobe from that tornado or not, hey its ok… .

In M+ dungeons on and up to 15 I can say being dps is by far easiest role. By far. There’s reason why my tanking-self, after raids just casually goes dps for the weekly chests.

1 Like

Tanking is the easiest role in the game. DPS is the easiest role to play badly. Well, let me explain a little more.

It’s the easiest to be a good tank. It’s the easiest to be a bad DPS. This is because tanking by itself is not very difficult, but playing as a DPS you usually get a free pass even if you’re bad. Healing is kind of a middle ground between them, making it in my opinion the most difficult out of the three, although being an excellent DPS might be on part with being an excellent healer. It’s a hard tie between the two.

i knew there going to be slutmog in profile picture :upside_down_face:

1 Like

To be honest, we lack context for a proper answer.

In M+ dps has the easy life, in raid some time as a tank i do next to nothing, while dps do the work.

Surely the healer is not the easy one ever.