What is your preferred way to conduct combat RP encounters?

As the title says, how do you like to conduct combat in RP? Whether that’s random RP, events or however you wish to chalk it up. I use a combination of emote/roll combat depending on the situation.

Emote combat when in random encounters (making clear to those involved OOC if i’m up for character death or not and any ground rules those may want) and doing the normal back and fourth with measured emotes, a good way to practice humility and train yourself to make better emotes in-line with your character.

Or when DMing encounters with my friends/guild I use a self-made D20 combat system. We have all success as a 10+ roll required, with 3 stats at play. Attack - attack rolls. Defence - Defence rolls. Perception - non-combat rolls. Everyone has 7 ‘points’ they can apply to each state to a maximum of 5, this will add this to the /roll result. For example, I have 3 attack and 4 defence 0 perception on my warrior in plate armour, so he has strong defence, okey attack but poor perception due to his restrictive armour. I can add +3 to my attack rolls, +4 to my defence and +0 to my perception rolls.

So, what about the rest of Argent Dawn, what combat RP systems do you like to use or would suggest? :smiley:

1 Like

I prefer logic over rolls and everything else to be fair. That way we can use our characters as they are supposed to be as opposed to /roll 1 and trip and die as a giant undead sort of thing.

I just force kill my enemy easily.

14 Likes

Yeah I was shy from /roll combat for the longest time, as i’ve many times just out right got owned by one of my encounters because of terrible rolls in contrast to what I feel my character can overcome.

I think that’s why I like to use both systems, as /roll is fun for that ‘unknowable’ outcome, turning a quick adventure to a crypt into a fight for your life!

3 Likes

/roll can be fun on some characters! I don’t mind it much but prefer just logic in the end. If some people can’t respect that then /roll does just fine, or if you’re equally matched or something.

1 Like

I prefer to fight using [STAND] Combat. You see, My [STAND] VIRTUAL INSANITY is undefeatable with its ability to lock my opponent inside the game, so if they die in RP, they Die in real life.

1 Like

I prefer literally anything that takes sneaking and status effects (such as poisons of various kinds) in account. I am more than fine with fighting but miss me with that “x attacks everyone” engagement when some people are not even in line of sight or well enough concealed away from the heat of battle.

As long as that applies, I am fine with both rolls and non-rolls.

1 Like

On most of my characters I prefer to just try and avoid combat with other people’s characters. Cause everyone always wants to win. And while I am all for taking a loss at times, I don’t want to just roll over.

4 Likes

I enjoy being able to prevent a fight rather than go through with it ( as that’s what my character would try to do unless she couldn’t ) but I prefer free emote with clear organization in terms of what both people want out of the situation. This is when in combat with another player. (Where I most likely lose more than half the time as I prefer my characters losing and gaining experience through that than winning.)

However, /roll is a good alternative always if the person has something similar in mind or we can’t make up our mind when fighting and can’t decide upon an outcome. I just think, much like Vaxir that logic trumps all. (Even though we’re in World of Warcraft, where nothing makes sense.)

That being said my general rule of thumb for combat RP is to not get myself into situations where I have to change my own TRP (aka don’t be a stupid person and try to 1v20 because people will kill you lul) before I make someone erase or overhaul their TRP (character death), which will be tricky to do to begin with as I don’t like killing off other player characters.

In regards to DM systems, I -love- the addition of the DiceMaster addon in my events or my friends’ events. It allows you to customize spells and passives and abilities to influence you and roll like you would roll in DnD (constitution, melee attack, spell attack, etc) but automated.

3 Likes

I am very much like yourself on this specific characters, as he has some pretty shady aspects that make him quite powerful so i’m keen not to throw him into combat often (if at all, only had combat with guildies as I prefer to avoid blowing my cover…). When I emote combat I am always keen to insure everyone is on the same page before we get stuck in, as character death (unless stated) is something i’m not into.

As i’ve started doing more DM adventures, either with friends or mercs I hire or encounter, it’s fun making various multi-path outcomes based on a roll here and there, and seeing how people react to the chaos of battle that /roll can help accommodate.

Hearthstone games.

8 Likes

For me it’s not about the power - for me it’s just that combat RP can often be avoided unless it’s in RP-PvP; I much prefer to deal with the aftermath of it (healing people / removing arrows safely / stitching / healing potions). Character death I typically avoid just because for me it’s easier to not need to do it most of the time.

This is de wey.

This is only about 49th time this topic was posted this year

2 Likes

Yeah I’m pretty sure we dug into this exact same topic rlly recently in Discussion: Taking L's

2 Likes

YOU TWO WILL HAVE YOUR CONFLICT THREAD AND YOU WILL LIKE IT!

That only happens with a bad roll system, a bad DM, or both.

A well designed roll system make sit incredibly unlikely that your character will outright mess up something they’re supposed to be good at. And a good DM will avoid making your character out to be a total idiot with no input from you.

Even in traditional RPGs like DnD, there’s actually no such thing as a critical failure. The closest is rolling a 1 on an attack roll, where the attack automatically misses, but it doesn’t mean you impale yourself or anything (Though far too many people introduce crit fails like this, which I absolutely despise as it rips control of your character away and makes you look completely inept). Rolling a 1 on a skill check still results in 1+Skill modifier rather than just auto-failing like most assume.

Unfortunately, the “critical fail” houserule is so common many people assume it’s an actual rule until I point it out. And it’s NOT a rule in DnD for very good reason. Critical fails just aren’t fun. I feel rolling a 1 and missing an attack is already punishment enough, as that’s a whole round more or less wasted for most DnD characters. Same applies to RPPvE events, rolling a 1 is bad enough, I see no reason to ‘punish’ people further for just being unlucky on the dice.

In RPPvE I much prefer a well designed roll system and a smart DM to pure emotes, which can be problematic for the DM to track and you have to put a LOT of faith in players for it to work (Very few will willingly lose a fight this way, or even get injured). A roll system that handles characteristics and attributes properly, but without bogging down the roleplay, can help respresent character strengths with a significant influence on rolls, but still leave the slim possibility of failure on the table. Nothing is a sure bet with dice involved and that makes adventures less stale to me, without rolls in events my groups would just win over and over because nobody wanted to lose ever. Which is just Zzzzz.

Plus I really like expressing my character strengths and weaknesses in tangible, mechanical effects, rather than just saying they’re super strong/smart but aren’t very smart/strong.

In RPPvP… eeeeeh. Really depends on the other person. Usually I prefer to (very quickly) assess and agree with the other person which character is more likely to win, then agree on a set number of emotes and focus on putting on a show for spectators rather than be concerned with winning or losing. If we can’t agree on an outcome, settling for a tie works pretty much always. Otherwise I prefer using PvP. I dislike using rolls in RPPvP since it means a fight could end up being overly lopsided and frustrating for either side. And it allows for complete bull :poop: like a random human farmhand being able to best an Elite Death Knight just because the dice said so. While the farmhand might get a lucky hit in, it’s pretty much immersion breaking for them to win, let alone beat the DK 5-0 in “HP” due to rolls.

2 Likes

(Don’t take this post seriously please)

2 Likes

Emotes always. I always whisper the guy on whether he wants to do it with full emotes or rolls. IMO the best way to do it if a fight is even matched is to emote out the fighting freely at first to keep it interesting and then do a single (Or 2 out of 3) towards the end to decide the winner.

That way nobody gets roflstomped and gets to do their cool stuff before the fight ends.

2 Likes

Unrestricted PvP, on all of my characters.

Always emotes, talking about the fight with the other person first of course to see what they’d like.

I hate rolling, makes no sense that a big buff paladin would lose to a simple farmer purely because he rolls a 1 or whatever other nonsense transpires.
Emoting is my favourite because it feels a lot more open-ended and you can both decide what happens, more freedom, more fun.

I don’t really like those D&D type systems with values and whatever else, although they can be useful for events I suppose.

And if the other person just starts outright powergaming they get smoked in pvp <3

1 Like