What's wrong with RP-PvP and how can it be improved?

I mean I don’t mean specifically here, but where/what does the 'Press ‘F’ thing come from?

From Call of Duty Advanced Warfare I think where you had to press F to pay respects at a funeral. Its a dumb meme but hey

Oh! Fair enough, never played them, but at least that makes sense now…

“I don’t like this so it’s bad and not rp”

I don’t think people would bother doing it if they didn’t see it as a valid and enjoyable form of Rp-PvP.

It’s not too far away from the people saying they don’t like /duel’ing to deal with conflicts, they’d rather emote it. Neither is more valid than the other. Both are perfectly acceptable forms of roleplaying a scenario.

Personally I enjoy both and I don’t see why one has to be demonised for the sake of the other.

17 Likes

It sounds like you had one bad experience and now claim to speak for all unrestricted.

Plenty of roleplay happens. Tactics get discussed and carried out in between skirmishes, during fights there is still yelling and coordination and everything else you’d expect from something that is an RP experience.

OK you don’t like it. But please don’t assume the entire community agrees with you.

3 Likes

I agree, to be honest.

But one is arguably more accessible than the other. One requires a lot of knowledge of your class, its synergy with others, its strengths and counters - many hours of gearing (read: rng) and whatnot. And, happening to have rolled the dice and being one of the better classes/specs in that particular patch.

The other needs a functioning keyboard.

Definitely both valid, but not equally as accessible imo.

5 Likes

Surely you see the problem with a RP combat system in which you are incentivised to RP as little as possible, because every second you spend hammering away at your keyboard to type out those words your allies are getting bursted down? Something as simple as yelling out an order can literally lose you the battle.

In unrestricted damage is so high that every second matters. Even in restricted you have tons and tons of people in every campaign who bend rules and logic for advantage. In unrestricted, things are far more explosive.

I am not telling you to not do unrestricted, mind. If you and your opponents enjoy doing it that’s great. But I am explaining why I can’t see myself ever doing it much, and why it will never become the standard.

2 Likes

I also agree with a lot of what’s been said above.

I also think communication between guild leaders/officers and their guild is key to any of it working. Taking responsibility to make sure your guys are where they’re meant to be, and not just changing plans at the last minute without discussing it with other organisers/officers is what makes things work. IMO it’s all just a big logistics puzzle really.

2 Likes

I agree it should never be the standard! It’s not accessible to all and not something everyone would enjoy either.

I just wanted to call out that rp still happens, and it can be done without causing you to lose. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a question actually. I’ve never RP-PvP’ed and I’ve barely PvP’ed. But I’m leveling a rogue atm and I’m thinking - how can a rogue ever use their abilities with any sense of realism (which in my mind would be appear out of the shadows, burst damage stabby-stab-stab and then disappear into the shadows) if you can only use one ability every 5 seconds? Sounds like you’re forced to stand at the front lines like a really underarmoured footman.

1 Like

There are ways around it, when I used to play my rogue I grouped up with other rogues in rp-pvp and shadow-stepped behind the seething mass of protection paladins to attack healers. Then shadowstepped back to allies once the horde of [overlord’s plate] did a 360 and ran at us.

For rogues you either flank the main lines with other rogues, which provides some nice unique RP or you are pretty much a flimsy warrior on the frontlines, least in my experience.

I mean, there is a reason assassins are not famous for their battlefield fighting. It’s not their job, just as the hulking shieldbearer is not intended for assassinations!

I agree that flanking is the best way to play a rogue though. Menace the backline with hit and run attacks.

You can be incredibly creative with restricted RP-PvP despite it being easy to get drawn into a ten hour slog-fest. If you’re roaming around a zone it can be easy to set up ambushes if you abuse draw distance and avatar load-in a bit.

Aerilen advocating pay to win with monster computers, smh

Hey, isn’t my fault if the 6 alliance characters chase two orcs on wolves and suddenly they run into 16 blood elf paladins.

:nail_care:

Do the armed forces cast magic spells IRL? Do they wear enchanted weapons? Can they resurrect the dead?

WoW’s armed forces aren’t actually based on elements of whatever modern day western military. What a non argument

It is pretty crazy to tell some guys who are saying “I find this kind of RP engaging and I like to do it with consent with some players on the opposite faction” and saying “No - See, Actually - Azeroth? Is a continent and My Ruleset is the Only one”

I think there are more people who find unrestricted RP PVP - even if it can lead to less typing sometimes for sure - more engaging than “RP PVP” where thousands of the enemy’s factions soldiers are instantly killed in a very very long forum emote

Furthermore I agree with Loras’ post and will add that IMO part of the problem is that there are too many campaigns now. A few years ago there was like two a year so everyone was really thankful/deferential/eager to respect the rules but now there’s a campaign every month - even if they each end a few days early - people know there’s always next time

IDK what the solution is really - I guess just coming down way way harder in rulebreaking is a good start

Think about it this way:

In restricted it’s more based if you don’t burst
In unrestricted it’s more based if you RP more

In both cases you have a tastefulness meter you have to fill to prove yourself as an elite RPer

I personally really crazily roleplay in those fights as much as I can because it’s funny to me but also because my class is easy / I’m the da Vinci of RP

19 Likes

imagine gaming with anything less than maxed out draw distance
don’t @ me if you can’t see Nordrassil from Dustwallow Marsh

2 Likes

He cannot see the Sword from Nordrassil

1 Like

Hunters only. Best Campaign. Shoot shooty, bang bang.

1 Like