Whats your PC build?

Hello!

I like to get opinions from every source I can regarding just about anything I’m about to delve in to and I was wondering, what kind of setup are you using? I’m looking to build something soon since this PC is starting to get on and I’ve heard a lot of positive things about the Ryzen 3000 series but also quite a lot of people trashing AMD for being unreliable. I understand intel is overpriced and ‘behind’ but I’d rather have stability even if it means having to pay a lil’ extra.

When I last took an interest ATI were their own company and had their own branding. I’m well aware that I should stay away from the Radeon GPUs because of the terrible driver problems but hows the CPU side of things? Any experience here?

What are you using?

2 Likes

Afraid you’ve come to the wrong forum for that. Try General:

2 Likes

We have plenty of troll posts on here, people being disruptive and ‘roast’ the poster above you type threads as well as romance but this is unacceptable to you? Are we really specifically not supposed to engage with the community we’re apart in regards to tech talk?

2 Likes

I’m as opposed to the troll and dating threads just as much as any other thread that’s unfitting for an RP realm forum. Drop the whataboutism, gamer

4 Likes

Whataboutism is a very poor fallacy. Is there actually any forum rules in regards to this or do you just choose to apply them to posters you feel can exert yourself on?

2 Likes

Bloodshroud is right. This is a forum page to detail about the things that go on in Argent Dawn… Not about PC specs.
That’s like going to a cake forum and talking about steaks. Sure, it is food, but there are other better places to talk about the topic you want to talk about.

2 Likes

Instantly pointing your finger at other threads by pasta sauce roleplayers and OOCers that some of us try to combat after I direct you to a more fitting forum with friendly fatherly demeanor is almost by definition whataboutism. It doesn’t take an exactly great deal of common sense to understand that realm forums are for topics relating to that realm (which computer hardware unfortunately isn’t unless this entire thread has been IC)

1 Like

The general point of contention was this seems to be arbitrarily applied to me whether as I don’t see anyone trying to police the other threads, at all. A brief look at them shows people discussing everything from pokemon, plushies and music. They aren’t related to Argent Dawn in any way whatsoever. They aren’t at all productive. There’s nothing particularly constructive about “date x above you.” threads. I suppose you’re both right. It just felt mean minded.

No you’re right, it just rubbed me the wrong way because I wanted to know what people thought and gauge what everyone was using.

Well since its here:

i7 6700
2x 8GB 3200mhz Ram
270A MSI MOBO
1TB SSD
250GB SSD
3TB HDD

2x GTX 1070 8GB Armor OC MSI
4K 43" Samsung tv for screen

And to make it rp related, i see my RP in UHD.

1 Like

Well, we let you know that this is perhaps the wrong forums to talk about it and pointed you to one where it would suit better. That’s all.

You are not arbitrarily targeted and even these 12,000 post threads are often being opposed as you can see here:

Unfortunately many of these unfitting dating and troll threads are kept alive by ERPers hoping it’ll lead to their character “getting some” or OOCers like Twiluna here who simply don’t care that the realm is actually the last bastion of roleplaying on EU

3 Likes

I have a Ryzen 7 and it’s served me amazingly well, didn’t hear anything about unreliability, unless maybe you’re planning to overclock them like crazy (and there’s not much point to that).
Just don’t cheap out on the MB to go along with it.

1 Like

I’ll second that I love my Ryzen 7. Haven’t had any issues with mines.

1 Like

‘‘Well they did it, so it’s cool and I should also be allowed’’

1 Like

It is allowed. OP is on AD, and there is no rule in the forum CoC that discourages other topics than RP, even on roleplaying realms.

Go on about your business OP, and anyone who doesn’t feel like it belongs here can simply either just ignore the thread or report it instead of trying to derail it.

1 Like

I mean.

If you see a thread that you don’t like amidst the dozens of thread you DO like?

What would be the normal person’s reaction to that one thread? I’d say propably ignoring it and not trying to “Forum Police” a person who literally just wondered what specs people on AD have.

• I myself have a Intel Core i7-2600K, not quite a Commodore 64, but i’m happy with it!
6 Likes

No and no, I didn’t think it was against the CoC initially, especially when there are many other threads up. I was then lead to believe it was which is fair enough but I was at loss why other posters were being allowed to do as they pleased. My overarching point earlier was if you’re going to apply values and standards then you should do it equally, instead going after no name forum posters you think are an easy target to snipe.

Now we have someone pointing out specifically that it isn’t, so it really was pointlessly mean minded. It’s been a few years since I’ve posted (Adnaw was around back then) so I’m aware the community has changed it’s values but this pettiness is venomous and unnecessary.

As for the constructive feedback, thanks all, I’ll take it in to consideration.

3 Likes

Hello Erunae, if I were you I’d wait a few months to upgrade at least when it comes to the GPU department. RDNA 2 ‘Radeon RX’ 7nm+ GPUs are coming, and NIVIDIA’s RTX 3000 Ampere 7nms GPU’s are all coming out in a few months.

AMD is competing - And prices will go down adequately. Nividia is also diversifying their supply of waffers for the up-coming gen, having previously only relied onTMSC, Samsung will also be involved. (the RTX 2000s series are by now a two year old architecture and the new one is mere months away, I’d rather want you or any one else to not have buyers remorse.)

As for the Ryzen 3000 series, of CPU. Buy one, they pretty much OC themselves to some given limitations such as heat, so a better cooler usually makes them boost more. That is If you really don’t want to wait for the 4000 serie which is -also- coming out this year, much things happening this year now isn’t there?

I myself am on a Ryzen 3700X Eight-core sixteen thread processor, the thing you will notice is much better minimum frames and way better smoothness if your coming from a 4-core CPU over all (Especially if you are into having multiple tabs up at the same time.) And likely better single core performance added with less power consumption.

My current set up is the following.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - With a Deepcool Assassin III CPU cooler.
G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600Mhz 32GB
ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming
Corsair Force Series MP600 1TB M.2 SSD
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB 2.5" SSD
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5" SSD
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW Gaming
Asus 27" LED G-Sync ROG SWIFT PG278Q
BenQ 60Hz LED Monitor.

3 Likes

These people are running on information from several years ago. Ryzen 3000 is a very solid piece of kit offering Intel-comparable performance in most applications, for less money. AFAIK, there is no day-to-day stability problem with AMD’s latest unless you have built your PC poorly.

You probably should check the motherboard’s memory compatibility list before you choose the RAM, and make sure you use the latest Win 10 not some decrepit old version of 7, but that’s about it the only gotchas I’m aware of.

Other than that, in my experience, people who have problems with hardware instability either have an actually broken bit in their PC that they’ve failed to diagnose, or haven’t actually verified that what they’ve thrown together is known and expected to work, e.g. they’ve put 4000mhz memory into a motherboard that only handles up to 2933mhz, and then forced it to try and run at 4000.

That said… Intel still have a per-core performance lead, and WoW ain’t all that multi-threaded. My 6-core 5ghz overclocked Intel is likely to beat an 8-core 4.4ghz AMD; but only slightly. In some applications, the AMD will pull ahead.

I run a very mediocre nvidia 1060 6gb graphics card and mostly-high settings at 2560x1440, also powering 3 other screens for 2d applications. It’s basically fine outside of Hivemind in Ny’alotha, or Ashran, consistently returning 60 fps outside of that. Turns out WoW still doesn’t really need a fancy GPU unless you’re at 4k or using 120hz+ monitors.

2 Likes

My PC hasn’t built anything as far as I’m aware

2 Likes