Where Are the Strong Male Figures in the Latest Expansion?

It depends, magic and magic tech exists in this world so that explains to the audience why people can do weird magic, that’s the suspension of disbelief, you’re being asked to accept the premise that magic is real in this world. The humans of the eastern kingdoms evolved, from the Vrykul who are based losely on nordic peoples from the snowy north. We as the audience know why humans have different pigmentation in their skin, it’s functionally how sunny was it where you ancient ancestors came from.

If you’re on a continent where people evolved to be white, it’s very odd to have black people there. The same if you’re on a continent where people evolved to have an increase in melanin then it would be odd to see white people. You would need to establish connections between these two continents/regions where people have travelled between these two locations. So unless you create a more tropical kingdom in which 100’s of thousands of years ago some of the early humans where also somehow sent, and everyone is black there. Then you would in game need to explain how this long lost continent some how had people migrating about, then it make sense as to where the black people came from in game.

Diversity is good as long as it’s not done at the expense of the story.

1 Like

Deviations? Such as the flying ships (as in literally galleons flying with 20th century airplane propellers) created by those very same coded nations, as far back as Wrath?

I don’t disagree that most of the human elements of Warcraft had their origins in european medieval fantasy, but the fantasy part took the reins a long, long time ago. It’s way too late to get upset about it.

Then maybe it’s time to admit that WoW is not a medieval Europe simulator but rather a vibrant, cartoony, over-the-top mish-mash of tropes, settings, and vibes where lasers belong as much as knights.

For crying out loud, only a couple years ago we went to an alien planet. In a space ship. That runs on magic stones. C’mon now.

And even if I indulge you, here’s the funny thing: there is nothing whatsoever to prove that WoW humans are anything like IRL humans in terms of biology or genetics. For all we know the content of melanin in their skin could be completely disconnected from their place of origin. For all we know it could be a mutation that happened when the titanforged were exposed to the Curse of Flesh, if you want a watsonian answer.

1 Like

I don’t agree with this. Eastern Kingdoms has a lot of tropical environments and a very huge port with a lot of travel, trade, etc. connected to kul tiras. I think though, that it would be awesome from a fantasy setting, if the diversity is better explained on an implied level, for example with the existance of a southern kingdom near stranglethorn valley on an island or something similar. Would love this actually. Respecting logical rules in fantasy worlds is what makes stuff immersive in the end

2 Likes

The problem there is that you’ve Called them human, and made them look like humans, the audience understands human physiology, when you break that without clearly stating why you destroy the suspension of disbelief and your audience will struggle to engage in the story.

1 Like

Sounds to me like an excuse to keep having supremely weird opinions about PoC in fantasy.

1 Like

Sounds like left wing person incapable of arguing in good faith. I gave you an example of how you establish different racial groups in a fantasy world and your response is you’re a racist…

If you want to not follow human physiology then don’t call them humans. FF14 did just that, they’re called Hyur. However you would still need to explain what reason a group of creatures would develop such a wild difference in facial structure and skin pigmentation. It doesn’t matter if that’s Asain, Black, White. You need to establish the rules to the audience of why the thing you’ve added is the way it is.

1 Like

Hey, I’m not the one claiming that space ships, lasers, grenades, magical crabs and literal rock people are okay, but black people cross the line.

Edit: The rule, as seen in game, is that humans come in different sorts of colours despite all being from the same country. There, the end.

1 Like

Most fantasy books and stories I’ve read respect as much realism as possible, because that’s what convinces a reader and creates an illusion of the story being real in the moment. I’m all for diversity, but I’d like it to have a more solid footing in the story for it, because that solidifies the illusion of the tale. For example making everyone in Hallowfall brown as a result of the strong huge Light Splinter in the roof of the cave would have been awesome for example. Game of Thrones does this very well, while also respecting southern civilization. I think embracing the beauty of difference is where love and respect for all people originates in my opinion.

Why. Why would that happen? What reason would two beings develop different skin pigmentation and bone stuctures when exposed to all the same stimuli?

1 Like

The reason is that it’s a fantasy world with magic and unicorns, my dude. I’m gonna say it again: if the Vindicaar is okay but John Doe having dark skin is not, then I’d say there’s something in there that calls for introspection…

2 Likes

So in other words, you don’t understand how to write a story. And you’re a toxic person that cannot be trusted to discuss things with adults without resorting to ad hominems. To the ignore list with you.

1 Like

Yep, easier to call people toxic than ask yourself why black people in WoW bother you so much, eh.

1 Like

For example, yes.
However, as I previously stated, there is some leeway. It can be enriching, like salt on a steak, but when those flyping ships are replaced by jet fighters, for example, the line is likely crossed.

As a general rule, technology ought to be outdated.

I’m not upset. But I believe that a sober analysis will be more useful in understanding this phenomenon.

You’re right: we’re moving further and further away from it. However, for many, the appeal is equally lost.

Yeah, the issue is that it doesn’t work thematically. Why fight with a sword and shield when you have laser weapons? Why would I go to the trouble of creating a setting with castles, nobles, and knights if it will be destroyed the next moment by Star Destroyers and Ti-Fighters?

They’ve different vibes that contradict each other. It may work as long as they are limited to small islands, but once you mix it up, it becomes absurd.

Yes, there was criticism for that too.

Perhaps. However, the sense of authenticity here refers to the source of inspiration that gave rise to the setting in the first place, rather than the inner lore itself.

That’s also why Uldum feels like Egypt, despite the fact that it has nothing to do with Egypt.

No, she’s not. Wow humans look like humans, they bleed like humans, they die to old age, they have emotions like humans, they follow abstract religions like humans, they have architecture like humans, they are mammals that reproduce like humans, they speak the same language as humans, they eat the same food as humans, they are called humans in the game. Don’t let someone gaslight you into denying what’s in front of you.

Okay.

Do they have tailbones?

The pigmentation of the skin could come from another source, having black people in a European style fantasy kingdom isn’t an issue. The issue is establishing, why are there black people here. For example, Night elves and blood elves start from the same origin they were one people and shared a skin tone. Then the highborne created the sunwell using water from the well of eternity and it changed them, they become the high elves/blood elves. If you established a human kingdom in say Stanglethorn where it was tropical. Or establish a human kingdom where “insert magical Mcguffin” changed the skin tone of the people of this region to be X,Y,Z you’ve then created a reason for the variation of humans. Until you do that you’re going to break or damage the suspension of disbelief.

See, but WoW is absurd. We’re talking a game where a goblin infiltrates a dwarven stronghold by putting a wedge of cheese on his head.

If it was a game like Kingdom Comes: Deliverace, sure; this one has a set setting, set vibe, set goal. But WoW is not and never has been that kind of game.

I said like 5 times it’s not an issue to you, so not sure why you’re implying I said this, but there should be a convincing reason for it like the existance of multiple civilizations. I think it’s awesome to see black people in the game and see a diverse stormwind, but I wish there was more lore to it other than “some day Blizzard decided to update human models”. Game of thrones, and manx similar stories, also follow reason/logic without it being problematic. It’s only problematic, if the implementation lacks respect and love.

1 Like

You’re yet to tell me if WoW humans have tailbones.