Where Are the Strong Male Figures in the Latest Expansion?

God forbid people act like actual people.

Giving people unrealistic perfect role models does much more harm. :expressionless:

Also: The average WoW player is definitely an adult; probably more towards the middle age range than the young range. So they should be wise enough not to see game characters are role models.

what i just find funny in this is that it appears you, and the entire concept of this thread, is that women shouldn’t be in charge if it means men arn’t. And that Men can only be strong men, if they’re the focus of the story.

like are you just ignoring the men that are in the story for the sake of making your point or do you genuinely feel that if men arn’t being stereotypcal men they arn’t worthy of being noticed?

1 Like

God forbid you portray a male as a strong character that has feelings but doesn’t whine and cry all the time, that handles his emotions and doesn’t run away from their responsibilites.

2 Likes

No I’m saying replacing the male characters with female ones for no logical plot reason is bad. Which is what is happening. There’s no reason for Moira to be the de facto leader, there’s more logical characters to take that role, like one of the surviving Archemages.

Baelgrim was literally killed off stupidly, the only reason you can see is to make the two female earthen take his role.

1 Like

No, you’re making claims. That “Anduin is subservient” - when he never served Faerin, but instead listened to her while he tries to deal with his crisis of faith - all while HELPING HER and the Arathi on their problems. Or the claim that “Moira is in charge”, because… she’s a questgiver who tells us what to do. Just like Magni or Dagran do ar other points of the story. Or that “90% of the cast is female”.

You talk about “what real man should do”, but at the same time seem to have an issue with accepting a quest from a female NPC, because that would “make you subservient to a female”.

Or maybe the problem lies with your ability to understand and evalute “logic” - which you seem to confuse with your individual expectations.

But since you’re unwilling to explain the “logic” of your thoughts to anyone, we can probably stop arguing.

There is no such character. Literally.

Talking about your feelings or doubt =/= whining and crying.

If you think it is; I’d advice you to seek counceling.

This will probably never happen because in all likelyhood, putting those thoughts into words here on the forum will mean a ban.

That’s my theory anyway and as long as those thoughts aren’t genuinely, openly and honestly shared; I see no reason why I’m wrong.

well nice opinion you got there buddy, But that wans’t the question asked in this post and also is something so easily disagreed with that it isn’t really an argument.

but just for you: No one is getting replaced, the story moving forward, characters dieing, and getting a successor (OOH NO AND IT’S A WOMAN!?) isn’t a big deal.

Are you struggling with the idea that within the current narrative, blizzard is just challaging the gender roles of society by making men be more emotionally available and sensative to their struggles, while women are being cast in roles of more stoic (and sometimes foolheardy, darn you Alleria and your antics) leadership roles? It’s ok to admit that, if it’s so, but the game is doing the right thing then. It’s challeging your views, and showing you a diffrent way. Don’t have to like it, but don’t make it a situation where you now get to define what is “a strong male figure”

as i stated above:

I think Anduin (while in a bit of a short timespan but eh wow storytelling for ya) struggling with his deeds and the burden of being not just a king but the grand leader of an alliance, while also having done some poopy stuff, is fine. I think it makes him strong, I rather be Anduin at this point than Varian. Not that I think varian was bad! loved the guy, but man being able to admit when yer out of your league, having a sense of self-awareness is totally cool in my opinion. If that makes you say that I am less of a man or what not, or if you think that, I will simply say I didn’t vote for you to become the President and CEO of all men so sit down, sir.

2 Likes

Oh, but that would be whining and crying. He’s gotta be strong and manly so the other boys don’t make fun of him in the schoolyard. This is healthy masculinity.

1 Like

Don’t forget 3 extra years passed before DF started, since the events of Shadowlands.
But of course we as players don’t really experience that passing of time.

They should maybe have made a patch about these 3 years. Picking specific events during it, to make the upcoming changes clear. But meh, they didn’t.
WoW has suffered from out-of-the-game-storytelling over the years.

why are you not tolerant, world of warcraft is not a dictatorship, fortunately there are different opinions.

Let me put an example to you. Say you have to put your family dog down, you’ve had it for over a decade, it’s a traumatic moment for you family.

Your Wife and Kids are with you saying goodbye to their beloved pet, while it gets put to sleep. They’re all crying, extremely emotional, someone has to go and fill out the forms, pay the bills, not crying and blubbering.

The concept of being a strong/good man, in general. Is allowing others to have their emotions in the moment, be there for them while they cry. Be someone that people can rely on when times are tough, be the person that deals with the issues when others are struggling, you are still sad, you’re still upset, but you want the people you love to be able to deal with their pain, they’re more important to you than your own emotions right now. You can deal with yours later once there’s nothing left to be done.

Anduin is walking around with his emotions on his sleeve, every in game voiceline is a woe is me line. This isn’t strength, it’s needy and allowing his emotions to control him instead of stepping up to fold. In cinematics he hasn’t been too bad, and I actually thought he was pretty well done in the TWW cinematic with Thrall in the desert, he was quiet then exploded into rage then into sadness, a real good view of someone hurting. In game pieces with him he’s been a whiny #####.

1 Like

Rofl, i was guna like this then saw it was already at 32 likes, insanely popular comment on forums lolol

Which, in turn, is pretty odd in the first place. There’s some pretty notable differences between men and women in the real world after all and when it comes to war, it is and has always been overwhelmingly men who have been sent off to fight.

The idea of sending women, children and the elderly to fight was seen as completely reprehensible. To many of us, it still is.

Furthermore there are many unpleasant jobs such as garbage collection, pest control and sewer cleaning where women are rarely if ever seen embracing as a job despite how necessary they are to keep things running smoothly.

Ultimately it’s a fictional setting so there’s more leeway but it does grow tiresome. Especially as a gay guy who quite likes men, the constant attempt to push them as useless and stupid in many aspects of the media compared to women wears rather thin.

There’s room for a healthier balance, I think.

Wait, you mean you don’t like how every gay guy in games and most media has to be some cliché overly flamboyant loud character? :rofl:

1 Like

No, not at all. I’ve always found the trope to be exhausting and not at all an accurate reflection of gay men.

The people pushing it are solely interested in exaggerated, visual stereotypes over anything based in reality.

As we’ve seen with games like Concord and Dustborn there are those who take such things to the extreme.

Last century it was, sure.

I cried when my dog had to be put down. Sure, I pulled myself together when it was time to wrap up the business side of it, but at the moment of it happening I cried. You bet I did. Am I any less of a man for that?

Again a statement from you that it LITERALLY not true.
Stop. Saying. Hyperbolic. Nonsense.

It’s just factually not true.

No he isn’t. It’s really REALLY you.

2 Likes

Absolute no to the no.

This is what leads to a terrible amount of men being depressed because they’re always told that showing feeling is being weak, real men don’t cry etc, and if they do come out about their feelings they’re told to “Man up.”

And you know what too much emotions bottled up does to a person ? Terrible, terrible things once that bubble eventually bursts.

It’s toxic, extremly toxic.

3 Likes

When did I say never let them out, there’s a massive difference between bottling up emotions/never dealing with them, and prioritising those around you and your responsibilities and dealing with your emotions later.

For example, Anduin leaving after Shadowlands is understandable, as far as he was aware the world was at peace, he left a well respect man as regent, now’s the time to resolve your emotions. But while we are in the heat of battle now, and he’s delivering whiney emotional lines, yes that’s being weak.

2 Likes

You said pushing them back, and to qoute

And I do not know about you but nothing including grief is ever done away with fast, and under that time who knows how many other things the person needs to deal with ?

Yes in the moment, that doesn’t mean forever.

6 years he’s been gone.
Sure but again, time and a place, if you’re a “good” man/heroic figure. When there is action to be taken your emotions are not what should be being addressed. When it’s down time sure, but in the field when we’re fighting off enemies you being sad is not important.

The main issue is giving him dower voicelines, because they loop in game, literally all he every says is just constant whining. Even if you’re fighting in game, he is whining. Cinematics less so.

The basic issue with him imo. Is they failed to portray PTSD well and instead display it the way a teen/child tends to deal with emotions which is spout them at everyone nearby. When someones going through stuff and is in an unhealthy mental state, which they are trying to portray here, silence is more impactful than speach.

What I mean by this is. Imagine Anduin, but all his voice lines are just one word answers to things outside of cutscenes. Making him seem emotionally ambivalent. No joy left in life, retreating into himself. That’s how you show this mental state on screen. Not just constantly yelling your feelings to every Tom, #### and Harry that walks by.

You have silences met with extreme emotional outburst then back to silence.

1 Like