Where Are the Strong Male Figures in the Latest Expansion?

Very well said, Moltensage. You speak sense and I’m here for it.

3 Likes

It’s weird, I play World of Warcraft and I do manage to immerse myself in its world.
Maybe it’s because I’m not instantly spooked by normal everyday stuff that your favourite influencers decided to problematise.
Good luck consuming cultural products that never reference those parts of human culture that you don’t like seeing.

1 Like

Man this is spicy, I’m so sad I haven’t seen this thread earlier, but allow me to voice my opinion on it.

My issue with the current directive (yes I do have an issue with it) is simply that I don’t understand why it’s always an obvious shift. Like why not have both be cool, just because one is the “main story character” doesn’t mean the other can’t have those moments too.

An example of this is the current story, Alleria is awesome, her hunting and beef with Xalatath is cool, I enjoy it. But then when anduin gets to do his big return to the light that took over an expansion btw, he didn’t get this big radiance flowing through him, instead he literally just closed his eyes and touched him, like that’s not even what we players look like when we cast a ressurecction. Which btw is insanely rare, there aren’t even enough ressurection in the actual lore to fill a full hand but here it’s played off so poorly I found it saddening.

Also how Alleria treats Turalyon, he is so pushed to the side even though, he acctually leads the alliance, and is such a cool character yet is so sidelined it’s kinda insulting to him. Like the main enemy is shadow and they need light, so let’s not bring the Literal paladins with light infused into his armor and sword, let’s instead take the angsty Anduin who doesn’t even know if he can cast a holy spell.

If I’m being real it’s bad writing that annoys me more then what genders they are, but atleast from a personal standpoint, things started to go very wrong when sylvannes was put in the spotlight and ever since then atleast I’ve noticed it so, maybe it’s the biproduct of this shift that annoys me more.

He is, he’s clearly not a centrist or a-political guy, probably spends his whole day watching his anti-woke influencers foaming over the latest piece of problematic media.

2 Likes

Fitting analogies.
Go be a bigot somewhere else. You’ll be called out for it here.

No. A vocal minority. Stop trying to twist the truth.

And it still is. Cope.

I genuinely don’t care.
If I like the story and events, I don’t care what sex the characters are.
Because I’m not obsessed with such things.

No. You think it’s a problem.
Imo, you are part of the problem (just as much as radical woke people are - you are simply the other side of the same coin).

It’s funny that that is the only comeback you have.
You know my comparisons are on point and just don’t want to admit it. :blush:

You think I watch your propaganda?
Dude… You don’t get it… I know there’s ACTUAL activists out there. Of course there are.
But I am talking about WoW here. And WoW only. I don’t care one bit about that whole other topic you seem so obsessed with.

Truly… Touch grass. Stop watching the propaganda and at least TRY to get out of that bubble of yours. It’s not healthy.

No. Just trying to show you the truth.
A bad game is a bad game. For MANY reasons.
So blaming it on this one thing that you personally don’t like is just so incredibly silly.

1 Like

I hope it is so obvious. Yet it has nothing to do with actual hate.

I’m complaining about inequality.

Can you give me a list of relevant new strong male characters and list of relevant new strong female characters?

If its not 50/50, then there is politically motivated agenda.

I’m sure you don’t have anything against equality, right?

2 Likes

I really like the Story in the war within. Xalatath is now one of my favourite villains ever. Really the only thing I dislike are some small details like how Turalyon is behaving, but otherwise I think it’s really nice. On the protagonist side I especially think Moira and Anduin are awesome. Now, I have some criticism, but it’s not related tot his thread. However, most of the female characters are very cool. But as many here said: I also liked the more serious strength-vibe with Saurfang, Illidan, Broxigar, Grommash, etc. and that’s missing for me a bit in general in warcraft as of now. However, it’s true, that many people have different tastes, so not everyone wants to see the same type of content.

I think many people here on both sides of the argument seem to be very hyperbolic though. Obviously there is “dei”, Blizzard literally advertises this officially to their investors, it’s not some secret. The argument is about, whether this is good, or not, and in my opinion it depends. It can be very negative/damaging (see concord), and it can be implemented in a positive way (see Baldur’s Gate 3), so it’s not that obvious to me.

Honestly, if I was a fantasy-author, I would only focus nowadays on fantasy races like Orcs, Elves, etc. because those are free for interpretation by the reader, and don’t carry as much of this modern social debate with them. For example elves are usually matriarchies, while orcs are more patriarchic. Fantasy races allow for that type of natural world building, so I hope Blizzard will give the Humans a break for a bit.

I think you are wrong in my opinion. It’s only that, if it’s precisely 50/50. That’s the problem: People want to force a statistic on a story, instead of simply asking the writers to write for more different target audiences.

2 Likes

So were you complaining almost 20 years ago when the situation was reversed?

By that logic back in the early days of WoW there was a politically motivated agenda as well.

1 Like

No. We had equality. There were strong male and strong female characters.

But lets come back to current reality. Can you show me the equality in current game?

1 Like

Equality is a fantasy and just like casting moonfire on those you disagree with, can never be truly realized.

The best we can do is exactly that, our best to write stories that are good and allow as many as possible to shine within them, regardless of agenda, not sway back and forth on a seasaw to see “who get’s the attention this year” between the genders.

Honesstly I don’t really care where or who does it, I just want to see something cool where I can go, dude that’s sick. Like imagine if we had gotten anduin in some cool effects ressurecting in the end, or a awesome fight between alleria and xalatath, instead of literally the third time alleria fires one shot and the conflict subsides.

Nonsense. There were literally over a dozen strong male characters and only 3 female ones. That is not equality.

And no; we don’t have equality now either. So what? Didn’t used to be an issue. So it shouldn’t be now.

1 Like

You’ve mentioned this alot, and I’d love to know. Which ones are you reffering to?

Sylvanas, Tyrande and Jaina.

Are we going off of characters who were female, strong and present in wow classic, or do the ones we knew about that were still significant count?

If they weren’t part of the various storylines; they weren’t significant.
And these three were literally the only ones who were featured as being of any kind of importance.

I’m not talking about ‘noname NPC #3’ and such, of course.

If characters ‘not being featured’ counts, then WoW has plenty of strong male characters.

Back then, the issue was not yet invented. :person_shrugging:

But I understand. You don’t have argument about current state of the game better than “what about”. I know it’s difficult for you to admit that now, in these days, its OK to not have equality, especially when mens are loosing. It is weird tho, you seems like you are very progressive, yet you using the most hardcore conservatite argument ever.

Have a nice day.

Nice gaslighting attempt there.

You can’t refute my logical argument, so you try the above.
You’re not worth my time.

You don’t actually mean that.
But hey…

Don’t you see that is the problem?
The Tourist / Activist puts politics and ideology above the hobby / the intellectual property.

It is the death of escapism the death of fantasy.
Gnomes Blood Elves Void Elves Dwarves are supposed to be fantasy races removed from the real world. But now that these races have been “diversified” they are reminders of the real world. Elves are just humans with pointy ears and just like humans that have different ethnic groups now so too does the “diversified” races.

The cult of representation is incapable of enjoying content until they see themselves “represented”

1 Like

The person that is calling to bring back slavery calls others a bigot.
DEI and ESG does not sell. If it did then Concord and Dustborn even Disney Star Wars the Acolyte would not have failed.

Except it is not a vocal minority. Many are calling for a return to form. Where the males where not always emasculated - mansels in distress and the females were not all masculine girl bosses.

What specifically is “dark” about the current World of Warcraft?
You just talk for the sake of talking. Actually back it up for once.

You cared enough to mention there was not enough strong female characters. Only Jaina and Sylvannas.

Another straw man.
You just argue for the sake of arguing. Not to make a valid point.

The reading audience can see your echo chamber mentality on full display. You claim it is a “propaganda video” but in truth it is an interview where by her own words she states her intentions of inserting queerness everywhere…

Ideologically motivated people in positions of power does effect the finished product. WoW dev team had DEI officers. So it is not a coincidence that DEI and ESG is forced on the player base. After almost 20 years all of a sudden Male and Female is “problematic” so they forced everyone into body type 1 and 2.

How long until they force preferred pronouns?

Sometimes a game is bad because the intentions was not to make a good game but to preach to the masses.
I congratulate Concord and Dustborn on trying to be original instead of hijacking another intellectual property.

Unfortunately that does not sell. You need people to play the game and the market can not be coerced into consuming content.

Su1c1de squad kills the justice league. Gender swaps Mr Freeze into a masculine Lesbian and turns the Joker gay. These did not increase the player base. King shark was also turned Queer allegedly dating Constantine.

Immersion is important as is the suspension of disbelief. How can that happen with endless reminders of Wokeness.

2 Likes

Oh because gnomes and elves and humans can’t have different skin colors, especially since, y’know they all congregate on one place in Azeroth and heaven forbid have an abundance of melanin. Humans have never strayed from Stormwind. /s

And Night Elves and Void Elves can be different shades of blueberry, but heaven forbid we have naturally occurring skin colors either. Everyone should be in a shade of hardcore raspberry, and edgelord black, and kickass green vomit to keep the immersion up! Can’t have a diversification of color in muh brosome video game.

You think more customization and options are meant to be rubbed in your face and make you feel bad. It isn’t. These are also new characters in WoW, not a bunch of co-opted ones, so they can be whatever Blizzard decides to make them.

Also logically Blizzard saves money on voice acting by keeping everything neutral. Imagine the extra hours placed just to change a couple pronouns.

Also did you know pronouns also include He and She?

1 Like