Why aren't there many women playing classic

First and foremost , yes there are woman who play classic. Not that many and that’s the subject of this post.

I happen to be quite lucky knowing quite a lot of female players in WoW over the many years spent on this game. But Classic just doesn’t seem to appeal to them at all. They all much prefer retail. My question is why ? Go on Twitch how many female classic streamers out there ? 1 or 2 trying out for the first time , getting to lvl 5-10 then switching back to retail. There’s no lvl 60 , end content female streamers or youtubers. ( if there are love to know their channel names)

I know of only one female player on classic and even she got to 60 and made the switch back to BFA. Is Classic a boys club ?

Is it aesthetics ? No blood elves ? I’m just curious. Why are the men into it and the women seemed turnd off by it ? Could be the men playing who knows ?

Like to hear your thoughts of why there is such small female demographic of classic players. I would like make it clear there are female players . I know this.

Are there any of you ladies out there playing Classic who aren’t playing just because your partner is. That’s all the women I know who play classic is because their husbands , bf plays so they play it with them.

3 Likes

I feel like there’s alot, maybe not compared to retail but compared to other games.

I would say that it’s as simple as gameplay. There are much more masculine games out there.

Ive watched 100s upon 100s of wow classic clips , videos and the one thing you notice in every video is a huge lack as in no female voices on the vid or discord. Women make up more than 50% of our population irl yet … they are completely in the shadows or missing from Classic. I’d like to know why it doesn’t appeal to the lady folk at all.

I remember watching an xxx video where a girl played Classic WoW totally out of context… ahem… nevermind…

Our guild PvE static is at least… ~10-15% female, which seems normal to me considering that the internet and video games - not just Classic WoW - don’t appeal to women in general.

3 Likes

I don’t really know what it means that you don’t see/hear them on twitch.

But I don’t think Classic is unpopular with girls, compared to fighting games or RTS games it’s nothing like a boys club. Retail must just be even more popular with girls than this.

they only play shooters to get boosted. okay jokes aside… . who cares :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

why don’t you care is my question ? Participation by everyone should be encouraged. No matter of gender sexuality or disability. Without diversity the world is a much colder place. I couldn’t imagine going to work without that diversity , I make my workplace richer. Same outside of work .

1 Like

Ive always run on the assumption that any given player i meet is a dude, and when someone barks about being female in chat, i usually wonder why on earth shes doing that - i dont tell people in random groups that im male. i had one offer me a delightful deal to buy some pictures, which i opted not to take. Was probably a dude, as well.

Back on topic, i would propose ( tentatively) that the rather vicious world pvp/ganking content doesnt appeal to females, my partner actively complains to me when i gank someone, and she calls me mean!
A female i know on WoW classic is dungeon farm levelling for the same reason.
Dont get me wrong, im sure ive been ganked by many lasses and didnt know it, but as the original poster said, there must be SOME reason because the ladies just arent there in significant numbers

I’ve always thought MMOs in general were popular with girls because of the social element.

I don’t know how many girls is enough but I really think there is enough. Gaming is a mans thing generally.

[WHY AREN’T THERE MANY WOMEN PLAYING CLASSIC]

Because there aren’t many women interested in playing Classic.

5 Likes

Because men and women are different.
Deal with it.

7 Likes

Believe it or not, women don’t like getting zug zug’d.

2 Likes

the patriarchy prevents women from enjoying wow classic

6 Likes

i seen a few women playing classic on twitch

1. Νο Κung Fu pandas.
  2. No pokemon.
  3. No foxes.
  4. No cutsies in general.
  5. No xmog. This is a huge deal. Once, I met a woman in the university who played Refail (through a uni app) and her whole uni dating profile was filled with screenshots of her female blood elf in different dressup combos.
  6. Vanilla is more punishing.
  7. Vanilla is more like an emulation of a realistic fantasy world rather than a game of furries and cutsies who spend most of their time transmogging.
  8. Not enough “my little ponies”.

I have been playing since 2005, though I played in Vanilla, TBC and WOTLK PS after WOTLK, and I have only met 1 female. That was on a PS and she was American.

7 Likes

Because most girls only care for instagram not gaming

1 Like

Well, how do you know that a player isn’t a woman? Not everyone will announce their gender from the rooftops. I actually think the amount of female players is higher than most people suspect, that’s all they can do usually is suspect someone is female.

5 Likes

We’ve got like 10 females in our raid team of 78, the vast majority of them just don’t mention it.

Are we/they meant to care about their gender? lol.

Isn’t this just you trying to bash retail more than “why” they’d play? lol.

1 Like

Hmm I guess it’s perspective but it seems he was more bashing women, since he apparently knew only one in 15 years.

4 Likes

Women prefer to leave past behind them.

3 Likes