Why call it a "catch up gear" when it really doesnt let you catch up

So if my main has mostly Veteran pieces, some of which are 8/8 (As getting champion stuff used to be difficult and not all veteran stuff goes in the catalyst for mogs)

Do I need to upgrade ALL of the veteran bits I have to 8/8 and try to ensure all trinkets and rings are veteran 8/8 too (might be tough as some are unique) ?

Or

Replace the lot to Dreamsurge Champion items, re-level them all back up to the veteran ones, then use the weekly crest to finish the progression, and hopefully get the next level set transmog ? Heroic I think ?

I need to know if these surges are for alts or my main ?

(I havent done one yet, trying to save the quests so they wont be wasted)

1 Like

Basically, yes.
Unless they change this before it goes live of course.

Only if you want the current tier transmog.
For ilvl you’re just as well off waiting for the next tier, I think. Unless you enjoy going for it of course; then by all means, do that.

2 Likes

If you upgrade them all to 4/8, you’ll be able to exchange Whelp Crests for Drake Crests. This is the one most people likely want (in open world anyhow as we have a lot of Whelps but few Drakes).
When you upgrade them all Veteran pieces to 8/8 you’ll be able to exchange Drake’s for Wyrm’s. Or Champion pieces to 4/8.

1 Like

How many people ever WANT to start M+ing?

Maybe a third. Maybe. Personally I doubt it, and would suggest more like 20%-30%, but it could be as high as 35%-40%, I suppose.

So then what is there for the other 60-75%?

There are other branches in this game. M+ was just an example.

I would suggest that nearly all of the people who raid are included with the M+ crowd. Even if they don’t really want to do M+ as an activity, they do want it for the gear.

And then there is PvP - maybe another 10% who don’t also do M+?

My point is that at least half the playerbase don’t do M+, raiding beyond LFR, or PvP beyond random BGs.

And this half are just being insulted by this “catch up” gear.

It’s a catch up gear, not progression gear. Season is still active.

One 402 piece per week (or alternatively adding ~0.07 ilevel each week) is not what I would call catch-up. The next season will be here probably around the time you have got half the set.

one 415 per week. it takes two hours to get 402 set.

1 Like

(visits Wowhead)

I sit corrected.

I didn’t realise that 402s were available for the lower currency - I thought that the gear was limited to the thing you can get only once pwe week.

1 Like

It takes no time to farm 402, then you simply go to the catalyst and convert those items into LFR pieces for bonuses and more importantly mogs :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thing is, it’s both. So it risks the whole neither fish nor fowl situation.
For M+ players it’s fill in missing slots and get fresh alts to a place to start M+ quickly.
For Open World players it’s a progression gearing system.

For exclusively open world players it’s finally at a stage where acquisition is pretty fast (if you do a Time Rift and a few Dreamsurges you’ll get 1 415 and a coupld of 402s a week, maybe more with rng drops).
But upgrading these will be very slow for opwn world players. We get not really enough Flightstones and nowhere near enough crest (above Whelps).

1 Like

Dreamsureges give 1 415 (upgradable to 437) per week.
Also you earn currency (2 surges will get you a 402 BoA armour token). There are also rng 402 BoA armour token drops but these are armour type specific so less useful.

The problem is with upgrading these. You can fore-go that 415 item and buy a Wyrm crest instead.

So assuming you had the Flightstones and Drake crests to upgrade the 415 item to 424 it would take you 5 weeks to max this out from the Dreamsurges alone (one week to buy it, four weeks for Wyrm crests to upgrade it).

For you.
It’s progression gear for those players.
I’m currently progressing to 437 gear slots.

Is that supposed to be an argument? It would be called open world progression gear, but it’s not called like that for a very good and obvious reason. Damn thing is a CATCH-UP to progression gear, not GET bis mythic of still active season.

402 is the catchup gear, not the weekly 415. Catchup gear is ment to give you a solid starting point for the current season, not to put you on par with the people who played for months. If you want high ilevel you still gotta work for it. 402 is pretty generous imo, its plenty enough to get you started in normal raiding or m+

It IS an argument. Whether you agree with it or not.

And I see you’re not willing to look at it from another perspective than just yours.
So, good evening.

Do i think that there should be better and more things for solo players? Yes, i do !

Is simple event with catch-up gear a solution? No, it isn’t!

How do I get into a Dreamsurge ?

I have the quests is there a portal or something ?

I see an empowerment message, but they are miles across the map. Do I need to be in phase first ?

Zone itself is a Dreamsurge. You don’t have to enter any portal. You have to close the portal by killing trash and boss npc. Portal appears every 30 min. Rest is simple rare farm.

1 Like