Why do Blood Elves need Horde?

You are also mean.

1 Like

That was not omitted information.

I omitted Satyr and Naga brain stems, that’s not really relevant with the opinion said Night Elf held on Blood Elves.

He did though.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Staghelm%27s_Requiem

Staghelm has given the order. All trolls on the field of battle must be exterminated. Their preposterous claims of birthing night elves must be met with force and due prejudice.

But this still explains nothing.

Why would the Night Elves not question their friends on what was happening on Bloodmyst and Azuremyst if that was even the case?

The Sentinels on Quel’Thalas were over the top aggressive for no discernible reason. Fandral looks like a much more probable canditate to their hostilities, they start to make sense if you consider he was the moving hand behind it all.

Indeed. This is just the one night elf who thinks the blood elves are foolish for dealing with demonic magic (which may as well be arcane magic, from his point of view).
Either way, them dealing with Fel, combined with reports of the draenei may have prompted the night elves to go and look for themselves.

He has given the order to who, exactly? Is the questgiver part of the Sentinel Army? The player isn’t, for sure.

What do you mean, other than the fact that they attacked you if you got to their bases?

Clearly, the Night Elves invasion was a response to the brazen assaults on Stonetalon peak and Keeper Ordanus, instigated by Braelyn Firehand and executed by ever gullible Horde adventurers.

Add the Magister invasion and subsequent pillaging of Azshara and Lethtendris machinations in Eldre’thalas and the Blood Elves really just forced the Night Elves hand. A full on war would have been justified.

This narrative was assembled by PartisanGenerator™

4 Likes

Dont forget, that High Elves were already members of the Alliance in the classic. Night Elves even gave a moonwell to help them with their magic addiction.
But Blood Elves kicked High Elves (Alliance members) out of their kingdom, just because they refused to drain mana from living animals and other beings. Some of them were transforming in to brainless mana drinking vampires even.

A valid reason to send spies.

Kicking out the Highelves is an internal affair, as is their policy to drain Mana from living things instead of taking the scraps from the Nightelves… so why would this justify Spies from a Nation on another continent that is in no way affected by their policy?
And spies (as well as troops and possibly saboteurs) are a valid reason for the Bloodelves to seek Allies in the Horde and don’t trust the Nightelves.
Kicking out the Highelves is an internal affair, as is their policy to drain Mana from living things instead of taking the scraps from the Nightelves… so why would this justify Spies from a Nation on another continent that is in no way affected by their policy?

3 Likes

High Elves are members of the Alliance. All members of the Alliance stands as one. If somebody is hostile to some member of the Alliance - than that is a valid reason for all other of the Alliance members to be hostile right back.
And sending spies before invasion army, is very logical action.

Even before the fall of Quel’thalas the High elves left the Alliance.
the “Alliance” High Elves back then where not even a real faction, they were just exiled Thalassian elves, who remained alliance affiliated, but not really part of the Alliance because they are not a “faction”.

So you think it was an invasion army? Even more reason for the Blood Elves to dislike the Alliance.

ps.

With the destruction of both Theramore and Quel’Lithien, the bulk of the remaining high elf population appears to be bound to the Kirin Tor’s Silver Covenant, Outland’s Allerian Stronghold, and Hinterlands’ Quel’Danil Lodge).

from WoWoedia.

Quel’lithien was alliance friendly but not part of the Alliance.
Theramore was a neutral city.

So your claim that the High Elves were part of the alliance is wrong.

pps. yay my favourite forum space goat is writing.

ppps. or not.

3 Likes

Blood Mage

A mystical Hero, adept at controlling magic and ranged assaults. Though still members of the Alliance, the Blood Elves have begun to turn to the darkest parts of magic, abandoning the water and frost spells of the Kirin Tor for the fire and heat of what some people fear to be Demonic magic. Attacks land and air units.

From the WC3 TFT manual. Battle.net goes into further detail to say that this turn was due to the loss of Quel’thalas.

Fun times.

Henceforth, the Thalassians shall be dubbed “Schrödinger” Elves.

PS: I’m not disagreeing by the way. Modern lore is, in fact, that Quel’thalas left the Alliance before Arthas razed it. We call this “Retroactive Continuity”, or colloquially, “Lore lol”.

3 Likes

The High Elven nation officially left the Alliance following the Second war.

When Anasterian died Kael’thas took up the ruling power and decided that the Blood Elves should be a part of the Alliance again; because Kael’thas always believed in and was a supporter of the Alliance himself, that did bite him in the butt though.

Following that and Rommath’s return to Silvermoon City where he could tell what happened to Kael’thas, with Garithos, the Kirin’tor, etc, omitting the details of the deal with Illidan and such, it was presumed that they were not allied with the Alliance anylonger, however, negotiations was presumeably started again with the dwarf being there officially, we learn however that this was not the Alliance’s intention.

TL:DR: Anasterian pulled out of the Alliance after the second war, Kael’thas brought them back in, they got “kicked out” again.

4 Likes

Or to quote the WC3 RoC manual…

To make matters worse, the brusque high elves of Silvermoon rescinded their allegiance to the Alliance, stating that the humans’ poor leadership led to the burning of their forests during the Second War. Though Terenas tactfully reminded the elves that nothing of Quel’Thalas would have remained if not for the hundreds of valiant humans who’d given their lives to defend it, the elves stubbornly decided to go their own way.

The mistake I made here was to think that was a quote from chronicles. It’s actually from WC3, which makes the “still” in the Blood Mage description incorrect, as it should be an “again”.
(And that’s what we call “Bias”: I remembered the Blood Mage description, but not the WC3 manual, even though I read it not that long ago. Welp.)

It could also be how one is reading it.

“Dark arts” to say it plainly, was not exactly a thing the Alliance was known for in the Warcraft RTS games.

So the description of the Blood Mage could simply be understood as: “Despite the use of XXX magic they are still in the Alliance.”

This could be stretching it, a whole lot of ‘benefit of the doubt’ for blizzard in this regard… but I am not strongly opposed to the idea that blizzard contradicted themselves in the same game (Well “same game” a base game and expansion pack).

It is not unhead of with blizzard afterall.

It’s not a valid reason to send spies.
What would be a valid “spy” like operation would be High Elven Spies around Quel’Thalas, checking on what their kin were doing and attacking the many blood elves and occasional ugly forsaken, who came too close to their camps.

High Elf and Blood Elf politics have nothing to do with the Night Elves. It’s like Nightborne politics - they have nothing to do with High Elves or Night Elves. (The Nightborne would likely invite the Blood Elves to engage in political unions between Suramar and Silvermoon, but that’s a different point.)

The exile of the High Elves was something that involved the High Elves and Blood Elves. Plus, if we factor in the relations between Night Elves and High Elves at the time - it doesn’t stand to reason for Night Elves to be there, because the High Elves (who they didn’t really like anyway) were exiled. It doesn’t work.

1 Like

You know, with the Night Elven concerns over the current state of the Blood Elves and their probable fel corruption, it’s not too bad that they wanted to check on them to ensure they weren’t transforming into monsters alike the Satyr and the Naga.

However, gathering information and spying was hardly all they did. While spying is still wrong, they went even further and did worse.

Their attacks and (very likely) sabotage were completely unreasonable and unjustifiable.

I still think Fandral was the perpetrator of this inanity.

I don’t know.
If we take the theory that the Draenei zone happened first - the main night elves who were on Azuremyst, during the events of the Sunhawks and Sironas were Night Elven Priestesses.
We had Priestess Kyleen Il’dinare and the injured night elf priestess, who made a full recovery.

Now the former could have been the main liaison to Tyrande and if that was potentially the case, then I think we have reasonable grounds to assume that the Sentinels, Spies and Druids was a combined and joint agreement by both Tyrande and Fandral.
When Tyrande met Kael in Lordaeron, he hadn’t made an allegiance to the Naga, nor took to practicing fel magic or draining the magical essence out of animals.

EDIT: For the record, Priestess Kyleen hates Naga. If sources indicated that the Naga and the Sunhawk Blood Elves were in allegiance, she could have presented information, with the extra spice of “I really hate Naga” to Tyrande, which could have further spurred her to send the night elves to Quel’Thalas, to see what’s going on.

It’s too out of character for Tyrande to go out of her way, all the distance to Quel’Thalas, to attack.

It’s something Fandral would do, and actually has already done with the Darkspear Trolls in Alterac, but Tyrande? That’s not her, especially if we take into consideration the friendship she showed to Kael’thas and his people.

At the very least, even if she was made aware of those preoccupying circumstances with her former allies, the more reasonable approach would have been to send emissaries, ask questions, not straight-up attack a people that might be wholly unrelated with the madmen on the Draenei isles.

I’m still placing my bets on Fandral.

But the timing is key.
That friendship was BEFORE he accepted the aid and allegiance of Lady Vashj and her Naga. Tyrande was already on her way back to Ashenvale and unaware of these events, by the time Kael met Vashj.
Night Elves and Naga hate each other. Any ally of the Naga is an enemy to the Night Elves. The Draenei found this out, but later on.

This was also before he joined Illidan and began to practice other forms of magical practices, that would see an exile of a small populace of Quel’Thalas.

But Tyrande has never truly been like that.
When the Orcs, Humans and High Elves were hacking at Ashenvale, she killed first and asked questions later.

And when it comes to the Naga and their allies - what she did to the Alliance and Horde forces was almost paltry, by comparison. Cut the “asked questions.” It’s straight up “Kill first” and that’s it.

1 Like

Defending your homeland is rather different from sending a pseudo invasion force to a far away foreign nation you previously helped.

He had actually already joined with Illidan back in The Frozen Throne.

Yes, I am aware of the implications of being allied to the Naga, even though they had been friends with the Blood Elves.

What I am skeptic about is that Tyrande’s response would be to just attack someone who might be entirely unrelated on the opposite side of the world. Instead of a few other hundred more reasonable alternatives.

Heck, I would believe it if she went to reinforce the Draenei on their isles, but sending troops all the way to Quel’Thalas? Ehhh.

Again completely different context. It wasn’t a simple “they’re walking too close to my trees and I don’t like how they look, kill them all”.

At that point, Ashenvale had already been pillaged for possibly weeks by the Warsong of the Horde and Grommash massacred a good number of defending Sentinels and cut down villages in his wake, along with the Night Elves’ venerated demigod. All the while the Humans were seemingly aiding these fiendish invaders in continuing their plunder.

Honestly attacking these guys at the time, with the information they had, really wasn’t the most unreasonable of choices.

But if information comes to light (albeit, wrong information) that the blood elves have sided with the Naga, then - I could expect something like this from Tyrande.
She’s isn’t always rational - especially where the Naga are concerned.

Not when he met Tyrande.
She and Maiev were hunting Illidan and Kael offered to help the two women find him.

It was only during the final days of Garithos, did he join with Vashj and therefore, join with Illidan.
Tyrande was probably over half way back to Ashenvale, at this point and she had no idea what was going on in Dalaran, at this time.

But we go back to the joint decision being between Fandral and Tyrande.
He might have hated the arcane and she hates Naga.

If the Blood Elves were becoming brazen with using the arcane and joining with the Naga, then she also has the grounds to partially command the expedition.
The blood elf ley-keeper gives us the first hint, when she states that the blood elves have been channeling too much power into the West Sanctum.

But she does command the soldiers.

Fandral would not have been permitted to take a portion of Sentinels without the knowledge of Tyrande and/or Shandris.
This leads onto a possible theory, that maybe - this was conducted by Fandral and Shandris. She, like the Priestess Kyleen, hates Naga. Any word of a Naga ally, she’s there to fill them with arrows.
She’s also not too keen on blood elves either.

That’s fair, but it still proves my point.

Tyrande is rash. That’s just her. Sometimes it’s good, like in this instance, but in other times - it’s not so good.
Her “rash” side, does give grounds to her having knowledge on the Sentinels in Quel’Thalas and the potential, to have joined in agreement with Fandral and maybe even, Shandris.

Again, it could have just been Fandral and Shandris, but I don’t, for one minute, believe Fandral acted alone. Either Tyrande or Shandris must have known their were ships missing and Sentinels and Huntresses had left.

Is she - with the Naga?

Because while she was quite infuriated with the Orcs and Humans during the Third War, she looked quite calm with the Naga she fought on the Broken Isles along with Maiev and Malfurion.

The authority Fandral holds is too vague to determine for sure on what he would have and he wouldn’t have been permitted to do.

What we know is that he also commands the Sentinels. Directing them to battlefields and employing them as messangers. Beyond that, I’m unsure.

I agree that rashness is part of her character, yet rash to the point of committing to that hostile idiocy in Quel’Thalas… I don’t know, it still doesn’t sound right to me.

Well, Fandral is the same Night Elf who ordered the extermination of every Darkspear in Alterac Valley because their tribe holds the belief that Night Elves are descended from Trolls.

When you put this in line with the shenanigans in Quel’Thalas, it kind of matches up.

True, though Fandral could have disguised the expedition under different pretenses, I suppose.

I really wish Blizzard had explored more on the Sentinel Spies on Shalandis Isle, what their goals really were, who sent them, why they were so aggressive and the repercussions it should have had on the story.

Because as far as I know every time the Blood Elf relations with the Alliance are brought up it’s always Garithos, or the Purge that are mentioned. Meanwhile this Sentinel attack and the emissary in disguise don’t seem to get the slightest attention outside of the starting experience for BElves.

TBC lore was weird at times.