World of Peacecraft

I laughed irl.

2 Likes

Fake news. I reject these claims. She’s sporting the Horde insignia on her portrait.

The implications are crystal clear.

You will not besmirch her name and honor with this outrageous slander.

1 Like

Garithos mindest never fails.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Braelyn_Firehand
She literally admits it herself in a quest though. Truly a fine member of the “reformed” horde. The best thing about her is a quote from RPG though:

“A mean-spirited blood elf named Braelyn Firehand resides in Sun Rock Retreat, and she entices travelers to carry out acts of violence against the night elves. She harbors a special hatred for the night elf Ordanus in Ashenvale, and actively speaks of hiring a stranger to carry out Ordanus’s assassination. She is almost as big a bastard as Baron Rivendare.”

You even kill her in Legion where she’s serving Gul’dan himself.

So there you have it, blood elves in classic - traitorous green pickle suckers and shadow council members - big yikes!

2 Likes

Oh wait, was it the one which you’ve killed in the questline of the scepter of Sargeras questline?

I see nothing wrong here. If anything this is clearly in line with the Classic Horde MO in Kalimdor.

We lost a real patriot back in Legion.

1 Like

That I agree. Poor Gul’dan.

No, not always. It’s when they learned how to do so. And usually, in the lore, it’s mainly great characters and heroes that are talking between each other. We as champions, we understand how our faction function. Thrall understands how Alliances functions too (for example). We players, are not on that level.

As I said before, potion is fine. Because it’s temporary.

Do you have a counter example? Any?

Why do I need a counter for that when I can just say that when orcs came through portal for the first time (or couple first times) they did not know human language at all, or well, any Azeroth language.

What’s with quoting just part of my text? I don’t talk in portions. I convey full sentences with meaning.

They were beaten and the majority of the current horde probably had their childhood in a camp from humans.

1 Like

Well, yeah. Having prisoners for years can definitely influence them to learn the language.

More like forcing them. Slaves have to understand the commands of their masters.

I wouldn’t say they were only forced to do it. I think part of it, they had to understand what humans want from them but another part they did it willingly in order to know more so that they could understand how they think and what they do.

I think it’s only natural but that is if we humanize orcs in a fantasy world.

We’re not just talking Orcs, though. And even the Orcs have been here, and in pretty close contact with azerothian peoples, who do have a common trading tongue. But I guess making all of the Horde learn their language, when common was already available to all the other Horde races at that point makes so much more sense! I’m sure human-raised Thrall spoke orcish to the Darkspear, the Forsaken and the Tauren, instead of the common trade tongue that was actually a thing in Azeroth. Anything else doesn’t make sense in lore, and no sources needed for that.

I’m replying to specific points that can be isolated in a text.

Ho boy, Here we go. Here is a list of things that would be impossible if there was an actual language barrier.

1. No Argent Crusade. If they can’t talk to each other, how can they fight together, in fact no Cenarion Circle, Earthern Ring, Ebon Blade.

2. No -ENTIRE- setting. If the Elves for some reason only spoke Thalassian, and for some bizarre reason, an Alien language called Orcish that hadn’t even been spoken on the planet, then there is no way they could have taught Humans Magic for their aid in the Troll Wars. That means no Human Mages. That means no Aegwynn, no Khadgar, no Jaina. It also means no Medivh. No Medivh means no Dark Portal. No Dark Portal means no Orcish Horde invading Azeroth, rendering the entire game franchise right to its very beginning impossible.

And yes, some of those Elves are still alive, but have somehow forgotten how to speak a language they always knew.

1. Draenei. How, just how, do they avoid being butchered by the Kaldorei? Something big and scary comes plummeting from the skies, and out of it get a whole group of people who look like Mini Archimondes? How do the Draenei talk to the humans who rock up under Captain Odysseus? How do they communicate with the Kaldorei without being butchered on sight?

So no Draenei.

1. How does Thrall communicate with Sen’jin and Cairne. The only language in lore they have in common is, well, Common. Darkspear and Tauren aren’t going to know how to speak Orcish are they? Right at the start? So the entire foundations of the Horde are impossible if there is a language barrier.

2. The Kaldorei could not have joined the Alliance. How would they be able to communicate with these strange Titan constructs from another continent? I mean lorewise they would just have peppered them full of arrows, same as they did to the Orcs. They would just be incomprehensible to each other.

3. How does Garithos give orders to Kael’thas, and how does Kael’thas understand them? How do Garithos and Sylvanas work together?

4. How do you understand random enemy mobs shouting at you in Common when they attack.

So given that a language barrier would have made the -entire- franchise impossible several times over, and would have meant there -were- no Factions as we know them, remind me again why it exists?

1 Like

How can you be sure of that? It’s rather undefined what Thrall spoke to Taurens when they met for first time. From players perspective, it looks like they had understanding immediately. It had to be done that way because it would look rather dull that Thrall had a cinematic or campaign/quest for every race that explains how they spoke for the first time.

Common language still means you are talking common language within your own faction and not common language with everyone on Azeroth. The way I see it, common language is nothing else than a description of a language that is used for all races within a faction. You know, language used by most people.

That means that orcish/runic language is used as common language on the Horde side. And for alliance, common is common. Thrall formed the Horde and it’s logical that orcish language is common language for the Horde side. Every other race that is on the Horde side can have their own language but if they wanted to be part of the Horde, they had to learn orcish or runic or simply common language.

That being said, if you are a member of the Horde or the Alliance, you were in no way obliged to learn common language of opposite faction. Factions are fundamentally different and WarCraft story and game is mainly based on conflict.

Sure, you can wish for a game changes that most definitely look like a destruction of concept that makes the game but Blizzard does not have to accept it at all.

1 Like

…no. It’s the common language in Azeroth. There is a reason why there never were language problems in Azeroth Lore, and you can talk to any people, anywhere. Even going back to the war of the ancients, where humans weren’t a thing, or to the Murlocs. Sorry on that one you are just plain wrong.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Common_(language)

And you get that…from the engine? There is a reason why I am arguing about what happened in lore, while you are refering purely to the engine language barrier, and haven’t really added anything since the start of this discussion. Sourcing matters.

I have another fun one, derived from the “Rise of the Horde” novel:

The main form of the Orcish language used by all orc tribes on Draenor was known as common Orcish.[1] Separate clans had variations of dialect that differed so much that orcs could not understand each other unless they spoke the common tongue.[2]
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Orcish_(language)

1 Like

Peace is something that hasn’t been grasped in WoW since the beginning. Not even once. That aside, first war was led by Gul’dan technically, though even after his defeat you’d expect orcs to calm down. Then Doomhammer did the unthinkable, started 2nd war. After Thrall came to the scene despite the harsh and cruel treatment from humans, he chose peace, only until he ventured to outland and brought back Garrosh, uncorrupted but bloodthirsty warlord. Who suprise suprise, started another war. Orcs in their core are warriors, their biggest and best pass time activity is war. Then we have here Tyrande aka Jaina 2.0 plus Greymane who are both hellbent on continuing the war.