World of Warcraft: Dragonflight Talent Preview

Will hunter pets get their old talent trees back, and can they swap between specs too?

As currently designed, yes, thatā€™s true for most people. This is their chance to try and break that paradigm.

2 Likes

Please for the love of god, give fury and enhancement access to flurry!!!

1 Like

Looking at these in detail, they all seem very precise in their effect. You get an ability for one talent. You increase that abilityā€™s damage x% with another talent. Very few of these are actual trade-offs where a choice has to be made. Itā€™s like they took the current skill system and just mapped it 1 for 1 onto a tree system instead so weā€™ll be able to recreate current builds from day 1 with little exception. This is the time to redesign the skills themselves as well. Take a chance! Be bold!

2 Likes

I wish I could say I was hyped for this, but at the end of the day, when I have filled in my talent tree, my class and the way I play it is probably going to be pretty much the same as it is now.

Edit: Maybe this kind of progression suits classic more? Not sure, but you level so fast in retail, youā€™ll have all the points in no time, then its done for the rest of the expansion.

2 Likes

Honestly, Iā€™d say for some. No matter how many points they put in, or how unique and fun - the vast majority of players will just go online and use what is the ā€œbestā€.

Whether thatā€™s 7 or 61 is just semantics

1 Like

I actually agree. This is why I wish there were a more fundamental redesign of the skills themselves in addition to trees. Will it increase choice? Yes. Will that choice mean something? Remains to be seen, but Iā€™m doubtful. The current skills have been made in the context of the current talent system over the last decade. Those assumptions need re-examined with a tree system for it to feel impactful. Basically, roll back skills to their MoP versions and re-evolve them as if trees had always been there.

2 Likes

Choosing between dancing blade and mass grip is bad designā€¦

Unlike the Druid class tree, which looks really good, the DK class tree raises a lot of concern. One of the selling points of having two talent trees was so that you have performance increasing talents in your spec tree, while a big part of the class tree would be around picking utility that you want. The DK tree does not deliver on this.

There are an alarming number of performance increasing talents at the bottom half of the tree. Most notably the three talents on the bottom row. Given it is impossible to grab all three abilities, as a DPS youā€™ll have to ā€˜chooseā€™ two of them. Since all other DPS talents are on the left and the right, this choice is made for you and for optimal DPS youā€™ll always have to go way down the Frost and Unholy paths, while giving up the Blood column. This will cost you 26 points, leaving you with only 5 ā€˜freeā€™ points to spent. And because of how your points had to be spent up to this point, thereā€™s some utility in the middle column that is simply unattainable if you want to have optimal DPS.

I really hope the trees for the other classes are more like the Druid than like the DK, and that they make some huge changes to this one to make it more in line with the Druid tree. Because if the majority of the class trees will be like the current DK one, they will be just as bad as pre-MoP trees and have little freedom.

4 Likes

You can pick both of them so you donā€™t have to choose between them.

Honestly, I think this entire redesign looks amazing. I canā€™t wait to see the Demonology and Mistweaver trees. The only thing that remains to be seen is if they act on the feedback people will be giving.

1 Like

Honestly Iā€™m really disappointedā€¦ I mained Frost DK since I started playing WoW, I moved to playing hunter just for this and maybe next patch and I was planning to go back to DK when Dragonfligth comes around. But if the talent tree stays like that, Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™ll do that. I donā€™t like it, like, at all. I hope they will massively change it before launch.

Awwā€¦ iā€™m a bit sad the venthyr covenant ability didnā€™t make it into the blood DK tree. It looked like a perfect fit.

I mean, itā€™s not built on the web page but you can look at the image and text and do a scheme on a paper.

Iā€™m curious to know what do you specifically dislike about it, I have read it all and I guess thereā€™s good choices and obvious changes to be made.

I think this is a great step in the right direction!

Even tho Iā€™m wondering. The Convoke you get in the Feral talent tree, is it on a 2 or 1 minute cooldown?

Imgur

I have highlighted everything that I currently have in the game as a Blood DK, with different colors so you can reference the sources in-game (baseline, talents, legendary, etc). As you can see in the actual Blood tree itā€™s barely anything new. Almost half of the nodes (green) are baseline in Shadowlands. I will mention though that one of the things that are baseline now, Deathā€™s Caress, is changed in Dragonflight so it gives 2 stacks of boneshield when used which is a pretty solid upgrade. Other than that most of the talents in the Dragonflight tree are unchanged, but we have to bare in mind this is a first draft.

6 Likes

if mark of the wild returns
return the old blessings for paladins to the tree if they make it spec specific
might=ret wisdom=holy?
and give hunters the warcraft 3 trueshot aura visual buff under your character
might aswell swap the current version to the classic perma buff
and lets get raid/world/dungeon bosses with telegraphed attacks so people can dodge easier
Anthros already has one

7 Likes

Hopefully they will get a lot of feedback during beta so it can improve.
Still even with this version there is still a few more choices you will have over current design since we can only pick 1 from each row so the 2 others are gone. talents that were once on the same row might now be open for picking both or all three.

As a warrior that had to choose between double charge, heal or stun that is a very very welcome change.
And you have plenty of new options in the class tree, but do make sure to give blizzard feedback when beta opens up and the beta forum becomes available.

OT: Your characters name and guildname is 10/10

2 Likes

This is exactly what i was looking for, thanks a lot for the mockup!

So going by it, how many points you can spend in the Blood Tree, you can probably get 7 talents a lego and tier set from the Blood Tree, so basically like on live.
Just 11 talents though versus 21 on live, so theyā€™ve pruned about half of them.

Did they throw out any of the good ones? Thatā€™s the most worrisome part, tbh.

But as a first iteration, itā€™s about what i expected, they just put in what we had this expacā€¦ what ā€œfeltā€ good i guess.
Theyā€™ll definitely change a lot of stuff between now and release.

I really want blessings to returnā€¦ they can even put them as a choice in the paladin tree.
Get kings, or might, or wisdome! And we can pick out what we need/want!

2 Likes

hunter needs the priestess of moon trueshot aura buff
i mean assasin rogue got warden fan of knives aoe