Would you play Classic again?

Agree with you totally

Because games without content updates never last.
There’s only a certain amount of things you can do without getting bored eventually.
Also, retail have way different mechanics to TBC/Wotlk etc.
Especially with the whole “your previous tier of gear is useless once next patch is out with the next raid”

It’s why people want fresh classic servers, since they’ll be able to re-do it all again.
Fresh servers > Infinite Naxx p6.

4 Likes

I’m focused on getting to 70 and then properly trying TBC. After that I’ll make a decision to either still with TBC or switch back to classic.

No way I’d start fresh though. As a dps warrior on classic I still have gear to get from literally every raid despite raiding week in week out for months. I’m not resetting my progress.

1 Like

Who forces someone to do infinite Naxx p6? There are more to Classic than raids. In fact raids are supposed to be a small niche there. Classic is supposed to be about being part of a virtual world where different people live differently their virtual lives.

An MMO that resets all the work you put in and makes you do the entire thing all over again on the same content is pointless. We do it all the time in SP games like Skyrim but the time investment is on an entirely different scale.

5 Likes

I’ll also add that there’s absolutely nothing to stop individual players starting a fresh character and then working through the raids. Resetting doesn’t create any new content, it just reduces the amount of content there is.

7 Likes

It’s about moving with the herd and resetting the economy.

The positive spin on being in the herd is that there are many people doing the same thing as you do. In an idealized classic server there is always a pack of people everywhere, but in reality after a month or so everybody is farming the 50-60 zones for materials, reputation. Fast forward another month and the tip of the spear is bored, either farming lower level stuff as well or offering boosts, which cuts into the wound of reduced playerbase doing the lower level content.

I’ve seen a 95 minutes old incomplete Maraudon group, and a 65 minutes old ST group yesterday evening.
Meaining, pointing out, it’s not quite the same experience rolling a new character. In BC at least you can go for a questing spec and ignore the multiplayer aspect until 60, maybe soon 70. I see how that’s sad to say, but it doesn’t change the fact that on Classic you had to ignore it too, except the world was just two bits clumsier.

The negative spin is that each reset gives you another chance to try (and fail again) to be on the top. Or to experience the rush of winning again the umpteenth time.

4 Likes

But it’s the fact you’re unable to progress any further.
There’s a reason why the vast majority progressed into TBC, people don’t want to replay the same thing over and over.(
At least with a fresh starting again from phase 1, you’d experience the leveling with others again… all the hype of re-doing it all again.
Phase 1 with everyone hyped up about it was the best time of classic aside from finding my guild tbh :slight_smile:
Don’t forget the fresh economy etc as well :smiley:

Yeah, pretty much… back when greens etc meant something to the lower levels.
Knowing that you’ve got plenty of gold on your main etc changes a lot.

4 Likes

honestly the only thing that was kinda interesting in phase 1 was that almost all the item drops had some use and could be sold in the AH.

But other than that. I really find it demotivating to have to redo all that leveling on the same class.
I am already at the situation where I will need to level the 41 priest in both classic and TBC cause Blizzard had the “brilliant” idea to make the cloning a snapshot of the pre pre patch times instead of something that can be a constant transition link between classic and TBC for those who wish to do both.

This is what people liked and why the private server scene stayed popular.

and when it was getting popular enough, it was getting taken down and all one worked for is gone.

One of the things that keeps people playing wow even on the mess that is retail, is that their characters persists over that time.
A lot of players would had moved on long ago they had to make new characters from scratch every X months/years

1 Like

Except for the AQ-opening title and the mount you can still do everything on a current era server. Sure, you might benefit from some shortcuts, i.e. ZG and/or AQ20 gear before MC or being boosted/carried through dungeons but this usually also only happens when you, as the player, accept such offers or even ask for it.

I’m not against fresh severs, not at all, but the argumentation here is questionable at best IMO.

3 Likes

Why don’t you/they play Diablo 2/3 then? This is a game where you wont have perfect gear/all items probably for years if not even decades to come. WoW should not be confused with a loot-grinder. As some point you may or may not have the best possible gear (or BiS) which may or may not affect your decision to play further. If you think that your “job is done” by now, then it is. Others might try out the other 8 different classes and also try to gear them up, yet others play because of the people and don’t care for gear that much and so on and on. Loot isn’t everything and the point that at some point you can’t progress further is also a relieving thing IMO. That such a system can actually work as been proven by i.e. Guild Wars 2.

Sure, if people start fresh on a server and try PvP they may face T3 geared people quite often at some point which isn’t a very fun experience. Over time Blizzard could group players based on the current item level or the like. And to be fair, Blizzard never calimed that classic-era is done. They might introduce slight changes if requested by the community, such as the realm-merger or fresh servers. Now, lets hope that we get some information from Blizzard in short time.

3 Likes

Because this is a MMORPG and without a goal, most people(as evident in the fact most people moved to TBC) will not continue to play.

Guild wars 2, you do progress further though?
They add new expansions, raids, content etc.

But you aren’t experiencing the fresh economy, fresh gearing sequence.
You can’t really “redo” all the content again, especially when classic is dead atm.

Then, why would people continue playing private servers - despite the fact that their character constantly got reset as it had a chance to be shut down at any moment?
Some people like progressing through the content phases again.

So merge ALL current servers into 2. PVE and PVP.

Then in 6 months or so open 2 more servers fresh. PVE and PVP.

One of the reasons could be, because it is free.

But you’re also losing all progression every time.

Even then having no mandatory fees of any kind is able to attract much larger numbers than a 15 euro per month service does.

It is also a completely different experience to have a server run by a company and a server run for free by volunteers.
For starters a priv server GM/management can be a lot more bold at enforcing/helping out. There is a much closer connection between fans of a game than between players and people working for a small wage to tell the players about how they cannot help them with what they are asking for because Actiblizion decided that in order to reduce the volume of tickets, the GM need to be as unhelpful as possible so people will stop counting on them for anything.

These servers are not identical to the official ones in everything other than the progressive part, so it would be fallacious to correlate the popularity of these priv servers only to the progressive element

So they did in WoW and still people returned for classic. It is pretty normal that players play content that is new to them. If you had the choice between doing the same boring daily-quests over and over again or do new quests, even when they require you to kill almost the same mobs, I bet the latter option is preferrable.

Some might say that you currently experience no economy at all as there are way to few players active. At least on the unconnected server I play we have 2-3 pages full of auctions with an average price for a stack of runecloth of 60 gold. Other items are as pricy as that so noone with a bit of sense is using the AH here at the moment.

This, again, is a very subjective statement. What’s stoping you is probably only your attitude or your thinking that everything is dead. There are some attempts to form some leveling communities on RP, PvP and PvE servers. Not sure on the situation on other servers, at least the servers I’m on has a couple of active players which currently test out different classes on lower levels. If enough people are there, there is nothing that prevents you from “reliving” that content.

1 Like

I played Classic solely because I never did the raids in it’s original setting and the way it went down with WB Meta and Devilsaur/Arcanite/Righteous hoarding and the AQ event being a total joke I have absolutely zero intentions of going anywhere near Classic ever again.

Class design was terrible and make most classes a one or two button rotation aswell as some/most specs being totally unviable like Arcane/Balance/Ret etc etc so it reduced the game down even further than it was already.

Dungeons were horrendously long which is a shame because I still believe BRD is one of the best dungeons I’ve played but I didnt have 2+ hours to scout the entire thing so I maybe saw Emp a handful of times over the lifespan of Classic.

Group finding for dungeons is simply a chore even in TBC it’s an issue and honestly it makes me realise why the Dev’s originally put dungeon finder into the game because it does eliminate an extremely tedious task of spamming LFG/General channels with the same LF DPS/TANK/HEALS for X dungeon nonsense hoping to fill a group that won’t fall apart should you ever wipe.

Playing Classic and TBC at this point has made me realized what Retail does well and what the older ones do well but you could not pay me to play Classic again especially with a dead playerbase that’s been begging for a server merge since the day TBC launched.

Each to his own. I had all the ~50 eight-legged crabs I need to kill for 10 crab legs all for myself